Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to paint the interior panels a good way so it doesnt chip or peal. Im talking the part around the shifter and window switches not the leather parts just the plastic. If anyone could help i would greatly appriciate it. thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
You could use a plasics paint as long as you prep them properly and give them a light scuff sanding with like 500grit sand paper. My sugestion would be to take them into a body shop and have them base/cleared. Best overall outcome and will never chip.

Reactions: Blake

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
i have used that hrylon fusion before and it works great. just clean off the plastic with some rubbing alchol and then paint it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Check my 'after' pics to see how mine came out.

I gave them a good rub down with 1000 grit, 3 coats of primer with a light sand inbetween and 3 coats of mettallic silver, and 2 coats of laquer.

So far it's holding up well and hasn't scratched or scuffed. Unfortunately, there is one tiny bit near the door and the door panel has rubbed on the dash surround taking of the paint.... Found a loose screw on the drivers door that allowed the panel to move... Gotta repair that now and retouch the pint.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Heckler said:
Check my 'after' pics to see how mine came out.

I gave them a good rub down with 1000 grit, 3 coats of primer with a light sand inbetween and 3 coats of mettallic silver, and 2 coats of laquer.

So far it's holding up well and hasn't scratched or scuffed. Unfortunately, there is one tiny bit near the door and the door panel has rubbed on the dash surround taking of the paint.... Found a loose screw on the drivers door that allowed the panel to move... Gotta repair that now and retouch the pint.
'

what paint did you use for the door?
i think krylon fusion shouldnt be used with a primer on flexible surface.
they are meant to be used without one so... yeah... im lost now.

·
Banned
1,166 Posts
koisuruusagi said:
'

what paint did you use for the door?
i think krylon fusion shouldnt be used with a primer on flexible surface.
they are meant to be used without one so... yeah... im lost now.
he didnt use krylon i dont think. he went with another paint type which is why he sanded and primered. it may be more work but i think this way will last a lot longer than just using krylon. plus if you use krylon i would give the plastic a light buffing anyways just to get rid of that filmy coating on the interior panels.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I just used normal car paint from a can... but I used a plastic primer. The reason for the sanding in the beginning is to key the surface to take the paint. You can get some kind of etching spray that will basically do this and allow you to paint right onto it. That's probably what this krylon is. But good preparation, decent primer and normal spray will do the job even better. The laquer is for protection. My knee rests against the door piece when driving and it's not even marked it after a few months of rubbing.

Reactions: Blake

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
PM stealth and ask him how he did his. Except I don't think he used a rattle can. I think he did use house of Kolor paint, and sprayed it all.

Looked good, till he got his car painted, then it was clashing with the exterior. I know as long as you take your time prepping, and painting, it will look good!

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
"I4mx6" would know for sure.. his are nicely painted.. and no cracks too..

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
before you do this, check out mcdonald's playhouse. if you like the way things look, proceed.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
FUjii13 said:
before you do this, check out mcdonald's playhouse. if you like the way things look, proceed.
There are some tasteful color out there, you just need to be conservative on the bright colors.

Definatlly a light scuff is needed. Probablly 400 grit will get er dun.

After sucffing clean the parts with acetone or mineral spirits (acetone dries faster) This step just helps get all the dust and snaded plastic off the pannels.

Then start spraying.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
DOM(cscs.ca) said:
----this shouldnt be in the FI section tho
:confused: umm it's not chief

After you sand it down. Kyrlon Fusion, House of Color, or Dupli Color works great to use and remember to put a clear coat on it. I used it on my interior when I did the tan to black conversion. Good Luck :tup:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks a lot guys, i did go through and finally give you guys karma for the help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts