Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I painted my interior, and it turned out ok, but I didn't do it right, didn't let it dry long enough. I am going to do it again, but is there a certain paint I should use. I am talking about brand, I know the color I want. I am just curious, what is the best brand to use on the interior? Just the trim, not the whole dash.
Thanx

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
they make special interior paint but...do a search youll find ****.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i used rustoleom?? however you spell it, and it didn't dry well.... i'm goin to use krylon. or take it to a bodyshop and have them match my paint and use car paint.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
look for like vinyl paint......dont pay a body shop to do that unless ur goin for an all out show car cause they will probably rape u on the price

·
Registered
58 Posts
On my old car I used Duplacolor rim paint (gunmetal).
It's all in the prep. I used TSP to strip any grease and dash shine off, make sure you really soak the parts to be painted. Then I did a light sanding with 2000 grit sand paper, then I used Krylon plastic paint (grey) as a primer/base. I gave that a rub with steel wool, cleaned it off with a tack cloth and then shot the duplacolor paint.

Came out DAMN good, good luck.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
if you are going to use a spray can, def use a good quality company. and make sure you do it on a non humid, and not cold day. as long as you make sure it dries good and use a few coats of clear, it should look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I painted my dash trim aluminium. I went to a hobby store and took their advice on the best paint for plastic. Being that the trim is plastic. I then bought an airbrush and did the dash trim/vents/door handle inserts/the ring around the passenger side power window switch and the rings around the door lights. Came out pimpin for sure. Wish i had picks. Make sure you rough up the plastic so the paint will stick, use plenty of coats of paint, and atleast 4+ layers of clear coat for the glossy look and durability so it doesn't rub off.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
MX6Nutt, it came out REALLY well, but I don't like the neon on the passenger side so out in the open ya know? I like them more when you can't see the bulb. Just my .02. Check out my interior though and let me know what you think.
Crooks

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Re: i didnt have 2 sand

em x 6 racer said:
me and my bro used model paint later on we decided 2 paint several other object and primed but never sanded and they look and feel just like fiberglass id post pics but i dont kno how so ill add my car domain link
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/307694/3
Dont be suprised if is flakes off later down the road. It's just too important to risk not sanding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts