Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so im doing a atx to mtx swap..

got most of the parts... i was just reading over the how to and realised that i got my parts from a 93 .... so my intermediate shaft has a 3 bolt bracket...

what i am wondering is if i can take my 97 intermediate shaft bracket from the atx and put the 93 intermediate and bearing in there..

so basically can you remove the bracket from the intermediate shaft and bearing, and is it compatible with the bracket from a 97 atx bracket.

(note: i would just pull it apart and check but i dont want to have to wait for a new intermediate shaft while the swap is going)

thx guys

·
Registered
223 Posts
The shaft is not different the brackets are what is different. I have read but never really went through it, is the 93 only compatable with the 93 block or can you get it to line up with mounts on the block. I know my block(96 pgt) had about 6 different threaded holes in the block where the interm shafts could hook up. If that bracket does not mount into anywhere on the block then you will need to get a different interm shaft.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
any klde after 93 should be able to use any mtx intermediate shaft (even a 93) however despite this being true 99% of the time, I have heard of odd cases of shafts not fitting.

I would try your 93 shaft and if doesn't work find a later model

Reactions: dan_seguin90

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Its was cheaper time wise to buy the shaft with a new bearing and the bracket then it was to take the bearing apart and do a rebuild.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone know if the intermediate shaft is a dealer only parT>?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
yes. Your not going to find an aftermarket one.

Lambera had a huge list of part numbers to help you find the correct shaft somewhere. I believe he paid ~200 for his.

That said, have you even tried bolting up the intermediate shaft you have? I'd say you have a very high chance of it working fine.

Also keep in mind that it is the intermediate shaft bracket and not the intermediate shaft itself is where the problem occurs.

The actual intermediate shaft itself is identical between mtx/atx for all years

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The actual intermediate shaft itself is identical between mtx/atx for all years

so the shaft for the atx is the same? BUt the bracket is diff?

i think its actually diff cuz someone said the atx was to long could this be the positioning of the bracket on the shaft?. anyways i just wanted to see what the cost was. i will probably try the 93 one unless i get one for cheap.

and btw im just trying to figure out what all the parts im going to have trouble are with.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
shaft is the same size. I've had both side by side and there is no difference. The bracket is taller on the atx one though and will not fit the mtx. I spent a good couple hours trying to make the atx one fit the mtx when I accidentally mixed them up while swapping out my clutch a few years after my swap

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good I wasnt the only one that spent quite a bit of time trying to get the atx shaft to work. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what I did wrong when I did the swap also the first time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it makes sense now..

so atm im hoping that the 3bolt bracket will miraculously fit on my block or my swap might sit until i find one with a different bracket.

i dont supposed anyone put a 93 shaft (and bracket) onto a newer engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts