Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 LS (2.5L V6) with an Automatic transmission. When I get the car up to about 60mph+ the electrical malfunction light comes on. If I let off the gas for about 5 to 10 seconds and then mash it back to where it was, the light goes off and then comes back on a few minutes later. If you repeat the process it will go off again. Also if it is on and you slow down to stop at a red light it will go off. Basically, as soon as the RPMs drop for 5 to 10 seconds the light will go off. The car does not perform any different when the light is on - you have to look down to even know if it has come on. Just wondering what you all think could be the problem. Thanks for your help! MX6.com is AWESOME! - Andrew

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
AnDaCo2002 said:
I have a 93 LS (2.5L V6) with an Automatic transmission. When I get the car up to about 60mph+ the electrical malfunction light comes on. If I let off the gas for about 5 to 10 seconds and then mash it back to where it was, the light goes off and then comes back on a few minutes later. If you repeat the process it will go off again. Also if it is on and you slow down to stop at a red light it will go off. Basically, as soon as the RPMs drop for 5 to 10 seconds the light will go off. The car does not perform any different when the light is on - you have to look down to even know if it has come on. Just wondering what you all think could be the problem. Thanks for your help! MX6.com is AWESOME! - Andrew
Forgive me...I have a 94 Probe GT, not an MX6. Though they are sister cars, they do have their differences. This "electrical malfunction light" you mention...the 2G Probe doesn't have one. However, the behavior you describe sounds like a check engine light cycling, possibly due to a bad O2 sensor.

What does the light look like? What is the symbol in the middle of it?

If it's not a CEL, I'll have to do a bit of research before I can offer any help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgive me...I have a 94 Probe GT, not an MX6. Though they are sister cars, they do have their differences. This "electrical malfunction light" you mention...the 2G Probe doesn't have one. However, the behavior you describe sounds like a check engine light cycling, possibly due to a bad O2 sensor.

What does the light look like? What is the symbol in the middle of it?

If it's not a CEL, I'll have to do a bit of research before I can offer any help.
The light is shaped like an engine. It is about the size of a pencil eraser and it lights up orange. How do I test the system to see if it is really just an O2 sensor or find out what the problem really is? Thanks - Andrew

·
Registered
488 Posts
Definitely sounds like the CEL light. It is actually called a Check Engine Light. From what you discribe it is almost going to have to e the O2 sensor. To check it out go to Mike's page that is linked in his signature and follow the procedures for checking CEL codes, or go to the SCPOC link inmy signature for the same info, but I think Mike's is probably better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts