Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I moved house just over 1 week ago and I cant get internet (hence why I havent posted) I am currently at someones house. I cant get ADSL because I am 14kms from the exchange, cant get dialup because the lines are to crappy. So im getting a call tomorrow about ADSL2 which has worked up to 12kms from an exchange. Otherwise its ISDN or Satellite for me. (sattellite is $69/month :( ) so hopefully ill be back on soon. CAM22T and FAV_FLAV_24 I didnt know this was going to happen so im sorry about our transactions in progress. Check your PM.

take care everybody

-Dion

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
most probably ADSL2 wont be available as well. I have ADSL in my area but no ADSL 2 is available for me. probably you gotta get the Satellite Internet. That is for areas that dont support dial-up or cable or adsl....just call the phone conmpanies that offer internet and ask em about it. I dont think ADSL2 would work at all actually since you cant get ADSL or even the old dial-up......cause your phone line must be setup from for internet adsl and if you cant have that one then adsl 2 aint gonna work.

your only option would be satellite internet I reckon, and as far as I know...

·
Registered
456 Posts
ADSL2 primarily increases the speed & distance of provision - with speed decreasing over distance.

As I recall ADSL1 has a limit of around 4km's from the exchange in AU but they are slowly recognising that it will go much further here like it does in other countries for the last 5 years or so

Unless you get two way satelite (standard is satelite download - dialup modem upload) you will encounter the same dialup problems.

Also, I think there are only like 5 exchanges in the country that are ADSL2 enabled, thus if you've got dodgy lines at your house I don't like your chances of them having paid to set up an area where they can't milk the costs out of it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
well im about half an hour from the city and in my area everything is available except the bloody ADSL2. well in adelaide it is still kinda new and not available in many metro area's, out of town, I dont think so...

I would say 2-way satellite is your best bet unless miracleously it is available in your area....but check with the internet companies and see what they say...you can even check for availablity through their website anyways...

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've got adsl2 ;) ..... mmmmm speedy.

Did you consider cable broadband?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Forget gaming if you get satellite internet. The latency is really high. Usually they have a modem for the upstream.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
well the area he is doesnt even have dial up internet available so how can he get ADSL or ADSL 2 when a standard dial up aint available and his phone line doesnt support it....lol

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
cable via satellite dish (not line) mmigt be available but i doubt it cause with cable internet they actually coonect through the cable lines not satellite so I reckon his only chance would be satellite internet, which is expensive as well....

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay well im signed up for ISDN 128K, they have to replace 14kms of wire with copper and then install a booster box in my house. 16th dec. is the install date :( They rekon I can get wireless but I want someone who has it to see if it works before i fork out MORE money. Its taking even longer because I live next to a place called GAWLER RIVER which im sure sounds familiar to most of you now. on tuesday night (10.30) the SES told us to prepare for 1.5m of water. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. lucky for us, unfortunetely for the residents of Virginia the bank broke on the other side so the water went that way. The water has ruined alot of lines and the exchange so yeah. I just got the 626 fixed because I did a wheel bearing also. Im annoyed because I have a brand new house in a brand new area and all this :(. not a good start but hopefully will get better.

take care everybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts