Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to start reassembling my fe3, and my dad's has just recently suffered a failure (turns out a coolant line fromt he back of the head to the oil cooler split, in the time it took for the steam to pass the hood, the head warped? hasn't checked it still disassembling it) so I get to have both versions torn apart at the same time. I'll take lots of pics, if anyone wants specific comparos let me know...

·
Registered
318 Posts
i actually suffered the exact same problem, except i wasn't driving my car at the time which was real bad luck cause my mate was on the freeway and couldn't stop, so my head warped. i got my head rebuilt and used an Oil cooler from a GT

·
Registered
379 Posts
You gotta wonder if the coolant was already low from that hose leaking before it totally failed.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
you cant fuck with ally heads... this is not surprising. better to coast down to 30mph and then restart it and accell a bit again and pull over asap. most motorways have somewhere to stop...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He actually got the head back from the machine shop today, sounds like it survived, just a deck and they replaced a couple sticky valves. Not sure if the coolant was low before, he keeps up on his cars pretty good, so who knows...he's pushing prolly 170k miles on most of the original drivetrain, and close to 100k of it was with a lift and 31s. Still even the original clutch. The original head had a mishap at about 60k, blew cyl4 spark plug out ripping out all the threads, still not too sure why, the kicker was he was getting ready to do the tune up and timing belt and everything, he just about had all the parts gathered and was gonna do it that weekend...

I've also been helping a buddy at work with his 2gen 2.0L took my head in today to finish disassembling it and comparos as well, that fs head is TINY compared to the fe. Kinda cool to see what stayed and what changed...I'll try to gets come pics there as well...;)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's gona put it together, if it works, great, if not he'll start gathering parts to make a stroker...he's not too worried about it either way, don't hink the headowrk ended up being too much.

Sorry still ahven't had a chance to get pics, but I did inspect things. I don't think its too hard to make a kia head work in FWD anymore. Like I've said in previous posts, I never remembered the block off plate in the rear, but know it's there now. Neither cam appears to be at all as aggressive as the mazda ones, but that's just eyeballing it and from memory...but he exhaust cam is quite a bit more round than the intake cam.

I got my camera charged and will go over tomorrow night and take some pics, or maybe wednesday...

·
Registered
7,692 Posts

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Well, a good empiracle way to know that would be to try a known good head first.

Around 3 - 4cm is good from memory, but its been about 4 years since I saw this done...

Fred.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I must admit i've never heard of that test before...but it makes sense.....

soft alloy thats been overheated will perform like cheese.....

I used to do the scratch test with a screwdriver, but that's waaaay less accurate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts