Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weelll, you all have to admit this is pretty ironic considering all the thread postings on this subject.....Well, today while i was out running errands, i came to a stop light, and lo and behold, guess what pulled up alongside of me, thats right, a z-28, probably a 97 or so because it had a really pointed front end, not rounded like the new ones....so anyways he looks over at me and revs it, so i say, WTF, why not? so the light turns green and i drop it at 3500, feathering her a little so i get grip, well, i shot out in first gear,(probably because he was spinning) and then right when i bang it into second, i hear BBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! and he just flies by me, as i shift into thoird he already has me by several carlengths, so i shut it down. and his car wasnt pimped out at all, so it was probably stock, and there was no way in HELL i could've beat him (maybe if i was running NOS...) and dont start saying its probably because i cant drive, because i've been racing cars for several years now, and i know most of the tricks of the trade, believe me, nothing would've helped, so i suggest no more BS stories about how stock mx-6ers can take a stock z-28. now, a stock RX-7..... ;o)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think that I would offer my left leg for a Rx7. I love those cars, while I like the Rx8, it will never compare to the beauty, grace, and damn rotary power of the Rx7. :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
me too!!!

Well YZF I'm sure you've read the other post I left you. But I too raced a red Z28 tonight tha he instigated and low and behold it kicked my A one more time. I have never beat a Z the now 4 times I have raced one and probably never will in this car. This Z had exhaust and he said that was all. AND MAN DID IT SOUND GOOD!!! But regardless I had no chance and I knew it. I usually pick my races better than that but with all this controversy lately, I wanted a run one more time.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I...

I can believe it. Those two cars are comparable stock or pretty close to it. A Z is fast...but it's a V8 and not a sleeper. I like being the underdog and I like good gas mileage. What do Z's get as far as gas mileage? The real numbers though, not the one's they want you to believe. Even though it was an American car that won...good kill. Anytime someone can beat a rich kid...good job!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh thats a good kill on the RX7 there bro. I hate RX7s more than anything. The rotary is the tool of the devil. The late model with the twin turbo setup is acceptable, but i have seen to many rotary motors die while us piston owners put 215,000 miles our mx6s. i did on my old 6 anyway. Others might think different but i hate wankles.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Camaro Z28s have the exact same EPA fuel economy ratings as did the 3rd-gen RX-7: 17 mpg city, 25 mpg highway.

G

·
Gas Mileage

I get around 17 in the city in my '97 Z28 depending on if I keep my foot out of it :) I averaged right at 20 mpg (20.21 or something like that) on a road trip from AZ to Oregon. Not bad for a 3500 lb. car with 320 hp :) 6 speed does the trick.

G

·
Hey. I beat one last year. He came behind me in 10 freeway i was going towards ontario about 5 in the afternoon goin about maybe 90. so i said to myself. WTF, i tailed him and went on his right side til we were goin both 90. i pull next to him and we both look at each other. right before he was gonna count from 1 to 3 i heard a pop sound and i started pullin ahead of him. i look to my left side and saw that he just blow a right front tire. he quickly slowed down. oh well maybe next time.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Good thing yall didn't get up to around 120mph or more, then him have a flat tire. Someone upstairs was looking out for him!

I wonder how a Toyota Supra, the like 93 to like 1998 or whatever would do against a Z28? Once again, car years are fading from my brain, what the heck?

Anyway, it is a 320 horsepower Turbo Charged 6 cylinder. I had the pleasure of smoking one's a$$ one day!!!

Settle down yall, I'm totally kidding. You may have guessed the outcome, he smoked me bad (that was in my 1990 model). We lined up, I told my girl "This car will put me to shame", she had seen me hang with a few Mustangs, and was suprised at me knowing I was going to loose. The guy actually raced me, I did get a good start in 1st, and pulled away (I think maybe he wasn't expecting me to be that quick--or couldn't drive or whatever). I grabbed 2nd, he was now beside me, I heard him miss 2nd, so I jumped ahead about maybe a car length, and then WHAAAAAAAAAAUUU000!!!(I got up to about 60mph) He flew by me! We lined up at the next red light, I told him I heard him miss 2nd, we laughed. We raced one more time, where he was ready for me this time, and smoked my butt!!

It was fun!! I'll race anything, even a Z, even if I will loose, I tell my girl, it is just fun to see what the other car CAN do. Hell, I'd race a Viper if I got the opportunity!

G

·
Those Supras are quick.....

The TT Supras are quick in stock form. About the same as a Z28. Low 14's - high 13's. I've only ever raced one and he kicked my a$$. It was a BPU Supra making near 500 hp. I had him off the line until about 20-25 mph and once those turbos spooled he was gone. By the time I hit 115 mph (about 15 seconds) he was about 6 car lengths ahead of me doing near 150! My friends saw him out at Firebird Raceway and he ran a low 11 on street tires!! I have NO problem losing to a way modded Supra running 11's when I run 13's :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
that had to be fun to watch, and imagine the G's he's pulling when he takes off.

That is a small car for all that hp!

·
Registered
371 Posts
What's the deal w/ Z-28's..?

All these people in Mustangs and F-style cars (Camero and Firebirds) get hyped that they beat a MX-6 or our beloved RX-7. Wow... you beat a car that's 5 years older! Try smoking a RX-7 in 93 with your 93 SOCH camero or mustang... that's just my opinion though.

G

·
Re: What's the deal w/ Z-28's..?

Rogue6 said:
All these people in Mustangs and F-style cars (Camero and Firebirds) get hyped that they beat a MX-6 or our beloved RX-7. Wow... you beat a car that's 5 years older! Try smoking a RX-7 in 93 with your 93 SOCH camero or mustang... that's just my opinion though.
First of all, whos getting hyped?? Since when were CamAro's SOHC?? They are pushrod motors!! The '93-'95 Z28's are rated at 275 hp and 325 lb. ft. torque and the '96-'97 are rated at 285 hp and 325 lb. ft. torque. The '93-'97 LT1's are basically the same motor (with the exception of the speed density and injection on the '93's) I will beat a newer RX-7TT in my car and a '93 will also beat a RX-7TT. Oh well :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry man,though 93 def post good times, the last mazda rx-7 generation will have no trouibles beating it, though the z-28's from that year will still kick our mx-6's ass.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry man,though 93 def post good times, the last mazda rx-7 generation will have no trouibles beating it, seeing how they had 255 horses, in a much lighter car that posted mid 13's. though the z-28's from that year will still kick our mx-6's ass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts