Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i like to say this is an very informative board and i like how the users try to help each other. Well enough of that, my problem is i've considering purchasing a first gen MX6 after i sold my TX3. I've looked in the papers and have found several examples. One is an auto turbo with all the luxuries etc and 4ws, going for about $9800 Australian. the other however is exactly the same minus 4ws but is a 5 speed. My tx3 was a 5sp so i prefer to drive a manual car. i was wondering if the 4ws was worth the trade off of having an auto. i was reading some reviews where comments were made about the mx6 not handling well without it. i just wanted to verify with you guys if this was true or not. having driven a 4wd tx3 handling was not a major issue. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
get the 5-speed

Im familiar with the comments you're reffering to about the car not handling well without 4ws. Well I don't know what car THEY were driving, I can only say that's a bunch of crap. The 1st gen mx-6 handles fine without 4ws. It can be made to handle great with some mods. I know; I've been through 2 of them. Get the 5-speed.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Firstly, get a manual definately :)

Secondly, the handling improvement in the 4WS versions of the MX6 was greatly related to the change in suspension rather than the 4WS gear. The 4WS cars are slightly lower, and have slightly harder shocks.

That said the 4WS is great, at least I like it. On tight corners giving the car more turn in, but other than that only useful for parking and turns etc...

I'm not sure where you are in Aus, but here in Sydney you can pick up a good condition 4WS manual for under $9,000 easily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Yeah thanks guys, im picking one up this thursday from a dealer. Its a 5 speed and comes equiped with the 4ws. I took it for a testdrive on friday and was very suprised with the over performance with the stock package. The salesman told me that it comes with a air to water intercooler, just wondering if this was true. As i mentioned the car runs pretty well in stock form, so what level psi can i raise the boost to with the stock engine and intercooler, that will run safely in 40 degree heat?(Australian summer is near). Would raising the boost void any warranties with the dealership?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The MX6 uses an air-to-air intercooler and is quite a capable unit.

Under normal circumstances raising the boost to around 12psi is safe and gives a good gain. Not sure about in 40degree heat though. You may to make you boost control cabin adjustable and turn the boost down on hot days.

I'm pretty sure a boost increase would void you warranty, check with the dealer first.

·
Registered
371 Posts
good one mate! hope u enjoy the mx6. when i was shopping round for a newer car i realised how hard it can be getting one with all the comforts and go for a good price. i live in Perth in west australia and i found so many different examples of the mx6. though i chanced upon a real good buy 3 years ago. i still have it. it was amazing how the last year(in oz) of the mx6 is so hard to get in fully optioned form and with so little ks let alone a manual. i bought mine for $14,500 with warranty and on road costs for 12 months.my car has 4ws and its a curse and a luxury. under boost the car squirms all over rounding a very slight bend as the 4ws system changes speed and wheel direction from about 45kmh onwards. parking forget about it! is this car nifty or what u can move in the tightest of spaces.cornering! i have all my friends guessing why it is so smoothe and yet so sharp. enjoy fellow 4ws owner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeeah!!

Yeah i picked it up this morning, no regrets so far. Still gettin used to the front wheel drive, i think its the amazing torque this car can make, just have to be more gentle with the throttle:). I heard you could change the setting of the 4ws so you could make it only operates at low speed eg 20kmh. Anyone know how to do this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts