Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Mx6 is up there in milage, and im not positive when, or if ever, the timing belt was last changed. So I went in and priced a timing belt (@100cdn). However, since this day, ive heard two things. That the 2.5L is negative clearance, and that it isnt.

I really dont want to blow a timing belt and have my car
turn into a paper weight, because it bent all the valves. Unfortunatly, this is exactly what will happen if the engine is negative clearance.

Can anyone here verify for me one way or the other... is the 94 mx6's 2.5L engine, negative clearance? If the answer is yes, hmmm, guess im buying a timing belt. If the answer is no, wahoo!, saved a hundred bucks toward the "replace the god aweful factory rims fund).

Thanks,
Serapth

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think you mean that you have heard it is an interferrence style enigne. Meaning that if the belt breaks the pistons will hit the valves. Rest assure, the 2.5 engine is not an interferrence engine, so if the belt breaks you'll just have to re-align everything, not buy new parts. The 2.0 engine ont he other hand is an interferrence engine, not good if the belt breaks or even slips too much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye Grey, thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I can go back to laughing at my jetta owning friend that just blew his :)

Thanks, you saved me 100$.

BTW, nice rims.

Cheers,
Serapth

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but you might want to at least check the condition of the belt before blowing it off. True you won't bend any valves, but you will be stranded when it does go and you will have to realign everything up which is an extra addition to the already long job for the standard back yard mechanic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye, thanks for the advice. Actually, I have checked the belts, visually, and they seem decent. It was just that, if I was risking bending all my valves, I was going to replace the belt regardless. I really have no reason to replace them yet, except the age. I think I should be fine. Also, I have the worst luck in the world, so, though I would preempt things :)

Thanks though,
Serapth

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sounds OK, and I can understand you concern from my wife's last vehicle. I can't remember how many bent valves, but I do remember what a PITA it was. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts