Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else is losing oil? After an oil change my car will go down about 1/2 quart of oil in about 500 miles , then it will even out at about 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles. Could it be my rings going or what? My engine is a 93' 2.5 w/ 100,000 miles on it. That would be pretty early for the rings to be going, right??????????

Ed
93'Silver MX/6 LS V6

125 Posts
my cars' got 115k...I had to change my front valve cover gasket right around 100k and now my car is leaking because I have to change the rear valve cover...however my car doesn't leak nearly as much oil as yours....another thing that makes our cars leak is the "oil pressure switch" it's located just above the oil filter....check to see if its' coming from there....dunno where else it could b from...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil loss on our motors is typical. it means the lifters are working properly. I dont think that much leakagee is typical though,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer already changed thvalve cover gaskets and the oil psi switch about 15k ago?

Ed

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
mine leaks some too i waste it out the exhaust pipe i have alittle smoke some times , try this run a stright 50 weight oil, the oil is thicker and shoul dbond to your engine better, u wil have to let your car warm up longer maybe like 3 to 5 min if it is cold cause of the oil being thick try it out i am next oil change

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Blademx00 did you ever find the oil problem as mine just started the same thing and there is no leaks around the engine and I dont see any smoke out the exhaust pipe. Thanks Speed Demon

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dig it,

The mazda 2.5 L motors have always had a leaking problem from the rear (closest to the driver) valve cover. Simply replace it. I use mobil one 0w30 becuse I live in a cold winter and hot summer place, and I loose about half a quart per oil change, (after replaceing all leaking gaskets) and I have about 110k miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts