1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 ?
1. is it alright to up the boost on a stock car? meaning no exhaust
upgrades or air filter upgrades.
2.are the cheap manual boosted controllers any good on ebay? there is one that is called a black stealth and the othe one is something like the best boost controller.also do anyone have any of these and how is it ?does it have alot of spike? THANK you J.R.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
you shouldnt be messing with the boost at all if you are still asking questions like this.

Don't mess with the boost at all if your motor and or transmission is in bad shape (you won't have a car for long...at least one that runs) and secondly, a boost controller isnt the only thing you'll need. You also need a boost gauge and SHOULD also get an A/F gauge and understand what exactly what you are doing before you do it

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok my motor and transmition are in good condition my car has 88000 mile on it i understand that i need a boost gauge now i did not know that i had to have a a/f mete or gauge .now besidea that can i up my boost to like 10 or 11 psi on a stock car without haveing a exhaust and air filter upgrades.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes, but it's recommended to free up the intake and exhaust air. You can run 10 or 11 psi without any upgrades, except the 3 below. But to get better results from these 3 mods upgrade the intake filter and the exhuast, at least remove the cat.
Boost controller.
a/f gauge.
boost gauge.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
removing the cat is pretty ghetto unless you are at the track, the exhaust fumes stink like ass and any state that has emission will give you a hefty fine for driving around with a test pipe or hallowed cat, it isnt hard to smell the guy with a f#@ked up exhaust.....I imagine a green state like Washington would have pretty strict emissions no?

·
Registered
266 Posts
open up the exhaust, put a K&N Style conical air filter and you wont need the boost controller. you will hit 10-12 psi and boost cut more times than not.

plus, the car feels better uncorked- ass dyno says easily 20 Lb/ft of torque and the motor does not fall so hard on it's face at 5K rpm.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
Re: is it ok for me to by a cheap boost controller and up my boost on a compeatly stock

jroreilly84020 said:

1. is it alright to up the boost on a stock car?
Don't become a boost junkie.

You know, 10 is great, 12 is better, 14 is heaven and 16 is rebuild time.

·
Registered
737 Posts
SixSick6 said:
removing the cat is pretty ghetto unless you are at the track,
I've got to say, SixSick6 I think you are ghetto. You're always ghetto this and ghetto that. YOU'RE GHETTO. You're always spewing your opinion, so i'm spewing mine.
If your budget is tight and you want some cheap horsepower, and your state doesn't have emission testing, cut the cat. I noticed a better sound and more power when I did mine.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
removing the cat is pretty ghetto unless you are at the track
I dont think its ghetto, its easy power and doesnt cost much.

Free up the intake first (drop in filter or intake filter) and the exhaust would be a good idea. Ive heard of people blowing their turbos because the exhaust isnt getting out as fast as its being pushed

also, and intake and a cat-back exhaust got my car to 10psi. If thats all you want to boost then just do that.

G

·
Washington state has no emmission laws whatever.

I ran around with just a 3" pipe going out and under my door for a while :D

We have enough tree's to keep the air clean.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
so does the cat just un-bolt at both ends or do i have to cut it off and then add the test pipe.i think my friend will most likly make me a test pipe.
hey fly do u have a sh*@ load of snow where you r.I can leave my house there is so much snow it sucks.

G

·
jroreilly84020 said:
so does the cat just un-bolt at both ends or do i have to cut it off and then add the test pipe.i think my friend will most likly make me a test pipe.
hey fly do u have a sh*@ load of snow where you r.I can leave my house there is so much snow it sucks.
You unbolt the cat at both flanges, and then bolt a testpipe with the same flanges in.

The bolts holding the cat one will be very cooked, and you probably will have to cut them out.

About the snow? I have 6 inches...I drive my work beater (Plymouth Horizon) and it handles snow like a champ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts