Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at TheMichelinman's gorgeous photos of his MX-6 in the galleries area, I was curious to find out whether it's possible to modify a North American MX-6 for 4WS (4 wheel steering), and what would be involved with such an endeavour?

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143123

Is it more trouble and expense than it is worth? I found the MX-6's handling pretty darn good with just 2WS. How's it like with 4WS? It would be wild to see what the difference is like. Any Aussie's out there who have driven both that can comment?

I see a few of the 1st gen's here have the 4WS steering system, but I haven't run across any 4WS 2nd gens.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
4ws is great basically yeh, but i beleive it is not worth trying to change your 2ws to 4ws. i think some people wanted to change a 1g 2ws to 4ws but that was too hard for them. similar to the turbo the NA 1gs concept. but yes i beleive there is a fair bit of work involved

im sure i read some posts on it so it might be worth searching for it

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I've driven both. E-spec 2WS and J-spec 2lt V6 4WS.

The 4WS is brilliant, the 6 handles great already, but the 4WS makes it even better. The first time I drove it and came upto a roundabout at a bit of speed, I turned in and then had to back of the steering as it responded so much quicker than my 2WS. From then on I was throwing it around corners and roundabouts with a huge grin on my face. I can't see why it's not possible, anything is possible if money is no object... You'd have to source a donor car and strip out everything including the 4WS ECU that sits in the left side of the boot. There might even be some body modification to the underside of the car needed and it WILL mean that you are limited to the size wheel/tyre you can fit. 215 will be the maximum width you can lose, and rims must be no wider than 7.5"... Unless you plan on fitting proper spacers and wheel arch flares.

The only reason I sold that one was because it was the 2lt V6 J-spec and just didn't have the power my E-spec 2.5lt does. The 2lt KFZE V6 has about 159BHP but is lacking a serious amount of torque and it just can't keep up with the 164bhp E-Spec. If it had been the 2.5lt J-spec.. I'd have kept that and sold mine.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
RdS said:
yeah, 4WS is fun. its like controlled drifting :D 8D
lol its sooooo hard to lose the back end of these cars, no matter how hard you throw the wheel. even in the wet i can only suceed in losing the front end and nearly hitting a gutter :lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man you guys are so lucky you could get 4WS on your MX-6's from the factory! I agree that the MX-6 handles pretty well in the corners with manageable understeer, but it must be a blast with the 4WS. It's too bad they didn't offer it here like say in the M Edition or something. I think in 1993 or 1994 the Nissan 240 SX's had HICAS which was their 4WS version I believe.

I haven't seen anyone here try to add it to their cars. That would be a neat project if it's possible to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts