Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new here... I got a 93 MX6 LS Coupe from my cousin back in april. She had some problems w/ the engine, but it was fixed under warranty (she is the 2nd gen owner, me being the 3rd).

Right now, it has a little over 86k. The problems:

Leather tearing on seats, but not too bad.
*Engine light is on randomly.
*speaker grills busted
*door pannel driver side is kinda bad...
*sunroof is screwed
*seems to burn oil internally (had checked, no leaks).
*needs paint BADLY (the only thing I've actually got priced.. about $1k :().

*When I'm on the gas, this has happened lately.. it would feel like the gears are not catching right... (it's auto). Apparently, my friend had a very similar problem, and her dad pushed the car, and killed the tranny.... On the upside, i could get a manual replace, but the downside: more money.

First off.. has anyone had similar problems? Second, would it be worth it to get everything fixed? I personally think it would be.. I want to get some new stuff for performance enhancements (but i know didly jack).. but I'm lost on how much it would cost in the end.

Only a poor college student.. so the fixes would be over some time... which is why I don't know if I should just drive out the car.. till it dies.. or fix it up. My luck is that I only paid about $300 for new tires and stuff when my cousin handed it over :) Seems like a no brainer.. but I want others opinions.

Thanks a lot.

Oh yeah, if anyone knows anyone that does good work in the MD/DC area... LMK!

Linh

·
Registered
283 Posts
bro i had the same problem with my mx6 with the check engine light and the auto tranny. first lets start off with the light if you are buring gas and the check engine light is going on and off and like 30 miles an hour 40 or hiher sometimes low speeds its the 02 sensors if u have a v6 which i think u do cause you have leather, there are 2 o2 sensors change both. you can get bosch its an exact fit like 70 a piece. second the transmission i have an auto to and i just rebuilt mine couple of months ago it was 2700 best bet is to get a level 10 tranny but its like 3500-4000 not installed. my tranny went NEVER SHIFT THE CAR MANUALLY. it was catching in second gear. the leather dont worry about it thats the least uif u wantthe car u have to make sure its running in best condition. personally 86,000 miles is a lot how nmuch is she selling the car for

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some o2 sensors eh? Well, that will be the least of my worries then :) I heard they were $600 a pop tho.. supposedly.. i read off some evaluation site of users.

And as you can tell.. i'm not all that car savy... what's a 10 level tranny? And are you qouting prices in US dollars?

And yeah, mines an LS (v6).

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Lnx227 said:
Right now, it has a little over 86k. The problems:

Leather tearing on seats, but not too bad.
Yeah, this is a pain in the ass. My PGTs driver's seat has a tear, probably in the same spot your is. I haven't decided yet if I'll get it fixed or not. Not too suprising on a 7 year old car.

*Engine light is on randomly.
Go to my web site and look under "Malf Codes" to see how to read the PCME yourself. Likely, it'll be O2 sensors. Bosch replacements aren't that expensive.

*speaker grills busted
*door pannel driver side is kinda bad...
Wrecking yard items? Shouldn't be that expensive to replace.

*sunroof is screwed
Mine too :) Try taking it to a Mazda body shop. They'll probably tell you the motor is toast though it may need track work. It's hard to say how much it'll cost to fix before a diagnosis is made.

*seems to burn oil internally (had checked, no leaks).
The KL03 is a solid little engine and never really seems to become a gross consumer of oil, but I find my '03 with 145,000KM (90K miles) and lots of hard driving is using a bit too. I never see any smoke out the back and never smell oil smoke, so I don't worry about it. When I'm followed by a trail of smoke or power drops off, I'll look at it as an opportunity to KLZE my PGT :)

*needs paint BADLY (the only thing I've actually got priced.. about $1k :().
Yeah, good quality paint and body work is never cheap. This item falls into the seat tear, speaker grilles and door panels: they aren't really pressing issues that need to get fixed right now but instead can be fixed as time goes on. When you get it done and how much you spend really depends on how much you like the car and how long you plan to keep it.

*When I'm on the gas, this has happened lately.. it would feel like the gears are not catching right... (it's auto). Apparently, my friend had a very similar problem, and her dad pushed the car, and killed the tranny.... On the upside, i could get a manual replace, but the downside: more money.
It's really a shame, but the Ford-sourced ATXs in MX6s and Probes really does suck in terms of reliability. Would that Ford could build an ATX with the longevity of a Honda, Toyota or even a GM...

But they didn't so you're sort of stuck. An MTX swap isn't cheap, to be sure, but can be done. Search Probetalk for this topic to see what's involved and how much it cost.

But get the ATX checked out first...there may be a fix that's alot less

G

·
Hey fellow MD/DC mx6er. If you want I could take a look at some of the stuff on your car...I could at least help you do a diagnostics check with the computer, and change the o2 sensor(s) if needed. (i recently did it myself) I wish I knew a good mechanic around here but I don't, so I end up doing all the work myself. I will be replacing the valve cover gaskets, putting in phenolic spacers, cleaning the throttle body, and perhaps replacing the feul injectors all in one fell swoop in the next two weeks. I dont wanna do it myself but otherwise i gotta shell out many many hundreds of dollars to the crappy dealership. NEVER GIVE IN! Luckily I get lots of help from the mechanics on this board. DIY is the only ONLY way to go. Peace out 4 now.

Jamie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey, you'd take a look at it for me? Wouldn't be too much trouble? I'd appriciate it if you could.. email me.

And i'm afraid of the DIY approach.. i'd like to.. so i know what is exactly done.. but i dont' have the know how or tools :(

G

·
hehe my dad has my computer so I can't e-mail people till tomorrow. I'm on at work right now. I'll get in touch tomorrow. I have to warn you tho, I'm not a mechanic...I just follow directions well ;). Also I have the shop manual. DJ what's wrong with your car btw?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had some engine problem with my car. I think I need new 02 sensors. but I'm sure. I'm getting that rotten egg smell too. someone told me it might be my battery dying but i'm not sure. check the posts for my engine problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you know, that sulfer smell happened to me too now that you mention it.. it was ONLY once tho... a pretty cold night.

·
Registered
483 Posts
leather products

dear friend,

it is a good idea to buy some zymol leather cleaner and conditioner just to save the remains of the leather seat. food for thought.

good luck!!!

Anthony

·
Registered
257 Posts
fix it. its worth it. the check eng lite is prob a o2 sens. check the codes. depending on what's wrong, your roof should not be that expensive. get racin seats. and your oil prob might be valve cover gaskets. they're 80 bux and u can do it urself.
good luck
these cars rule!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts