Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am still deciding on whether i should go with the test pipe or a V8 hi-flow cat (2.5'). I just don't want to get fined for having a test pipe. Have yal had any encounters with the cops with the test pipe? please let me know thanx.
btw we don't have emissions test, but still it is illegal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what others were saying is that what cop is going to be getting on their knees and looking at the bottom of your car? They think they have too much pride, but ive heard that some state troopers when they pull you over while your at high rpm's you going 90-100mph and that whining sound is heard are smart enough to check and then fine the hell out of you. My opinion is: Dont sweat it, testpipes sound good, and is probably the cheapest mod for that kind of hp at the wheels!

·
Registered
58 Posts
to each his own...

I don't know if I'd recommend the test pipe to everyone. It made my v6 sound nice when idleing and cruising around, but it sounds like ass when I take off and get the rpms above 4k. I don't want to sound like everyone else in this town with their loud mufflers and big chrome rims. I don't know what to do:

1) replace the stock resonator and leave the testpipe on and *hope* it sounds good after another trip to the muffler shop :sigh:

2) put the cat back on because at least it sounded great at high rpms

3) cut a hole in the 'replacement' muffler I've got and test the sound quality with/without the test pipe in. I did this with a v6 camaro once and it sounded pretty good without a cat.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
when you can hollow out your cat for free AND have it sound better? hell no.

also if a cop gets on his knees, he'll still see the cat...

G

·
These hi flow cat converters will flow almost identical to a test pipe. I wish I could remember the article I read, but they actually dynoed the same car with test pipe and hi flow cat and there was maybe .5-1 whp difference between the two. But that's just what I read, and if I ever come across it again I'd gladly post it. But you're likely not ever going to feel that difference, but the test pipe is much cheaper and will give a louder raspier tone (if that's what you like). A glasspack will help with the sound issue by giving it more depth and reducing that tinny/raspy sound of the test pipe.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do yal know anyone who got caught with one?

well, right now i may just hollow out the cat and hopefully expect almost the same performance as having a test pipe. also, do yal know anyone who got caught with one, or anyone who got into a wreck with one. I would again appreciate your response.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
a wreck with one? why do you ask?

and if oyu get caught with one, you can probly just say that you bought the car like that and it passed emissions within 90 days of the purchase... blah blah blah. if they cited you, just buy a new one and take it to court. "sorry, i didnt know"

also... you *might* get better performance with a hollow cat than a test pipe. too little backpressue is bad for performance

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

i just heard somebody got caught with one after the wreck. anyways im gonna get hollowed cat.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
oh yeah.. i could see that.

you could always say you bought the car like that...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
or the guy who had the car before you...:D

its a freakin fix-it ticket...

"heres the reciept your honor"
"dismissed"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts