Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been thinking. I just dropped a new clutch into it....
The turbo still Seems fine running at about 12 psi...
Still pretty quick, Id say somewhere in the 14's
Stock...

BUT. MY Tranny mount and engine mount arn't holding up too well. Seriously, when I slam it into second, the whole tranny basically shifts lol.
But in other cases my whole front end needs a lot of work.... not the body, it is in good shape. the steering wheel shakes horribly, and I know for a fact there is a lot of broken parts in the front end...

I Love the car, don't get me wrong, I'm just sick of dropping money into it.
I mean I jus put a new drive axle and a clutch that cost me 950$ labor to do..

what would you do?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Seems like you haven't put much money into it you know for a fact that parts are broken. You've paid alot for labor and clutch and axle but doesn't seem like much else.

So long as your transmission still shifts correctly without grinding gears, go ahead and replace both mounts as they can be had for roughly $100 new.

15 year old cars don't last long if you beat the crap out of them then complain when they break.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Mazda Turbo said:
Did you hear me complaining... I dont beat the crap out of it, but I do race it from time to time, thats why they make turbo's, not for looks.
Mazda Turbo said:
MY Tranny mount and engine mount arn't holding up too well. Seriously, when I slam it into second, the whole tranny basically shifts lol.
Keep it up and you won't be "racing from time to time" and this will be a good thing.
Mazda Turbo said:
the steering wheel shakes horribly, and I know for a fact there is a lot of broken parts in the front end...
Steering wheel shaking horribly and "racing" should not be in the same sentence.

Mazda Turbo said:
what would you do?
Fix everything that you KNOW is broken BEFORE "going out racing from time to time" but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Well, to maintain the car, it's going to cost a chunk of change. The MX6 is a moneypit..that is no lie. Certain parts can be hard to come by and aftermarket support is barely existant. There are quite a few parts avaliable, however.
The MX6 is a great car if you maintain it properly and take good care of it.

But, seriously..before racing it or anything, you need to have it maintained and running good.

Describe your problem slowly and in more detail and we can help you out some more. But one thing you'll learn, is to use the search feature before starting a new thread. This is because questions like the one you are asking has probably already been posted and the problem solved.
Use it to your advantage and to help keep the forum more organized and keep the stress level down. It does get kind of old when people ask the same questions over and over.

Okay, so when does this vibration in the steering wheel first occour? At any speed? Wheen boosting? Over 60 MPH? Only when braking?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I had the same dilemna with my 88 GT.

I changed pretty much every part of the front suspensions.
Braking all over.
Wheel bearings all 4 wheels as well.
2 damn half shafts.

Plus i recently purchased 2 new control arms (Kinda cheap btw).

If i add all the money i put in that I am pretty sure i will be scared.

But at least i know now that every single part that wears in my car is new.

Something you cannot say if you sell your car and buy something alse.

SO no advice from me.
Be your own judge.

I bought those parts step by step (Over 1year and 1/2) and installed everything myself (Lotta saving).

If you are not considering instaling the parst your self then just forgetit and sell the car .

Peace
NSXR

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
if you plan on keeping that trans, I would put in new motor mounts and shifter bushings ASAP. Even if you drive it normal, you will still damage the trans and possibly loosen up the shiftgate. Too bad you didn't live in NJ , I would do your work really cheap.

Is the car shaking while driving or when braking?
start out with the cheap stuff. If it's shaking while driving, you may want to get your wheels balanced and make sure you have no bends in the rims. If it's braking, then you could have warped rotors and you can just get them cut.
try to explain more about the shaking you are having.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
NSXR said:
Be your own judge.

I bought those parts step by step (Over 1year and 1/2) and installed everything myself (Lotta saving).

If you are not considering instaling the parst your self then just forgetit and sell the car .
Agreed. You save a ton of money doing the labor yourself. If you plan on keeping it, i'd say you should pick up a haynes/chiltons or a facotry workshop manual so you can do the labor yourself. It really helps alot when you can do the work yourself.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Take a weekend off, pull the mounts and fill them with polyeurethane yourself. It will cost you $5 to repair both mounts instead of $100ish for new ones. You know those are bad, then you can go from there and hopefully stop some of the damage you're doing.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Control arm for 62usd

mx688gt said:
where did u get the control arms for the mazda 88 mx6 gt turbo??

just wondering, im thinking of changing out my
suspension on my 88. with 160k miles.
I found the tip on one of the threads about control arms and called them:

I told them the price i had was 62usd per arm and they said that they would sell for that since I had heard that price.
Shipping was 20$ to south florida.

KiNg MaRtY said:
Midwest Foreign Auto Parts

4914 W Belmont Ave
Chicago, IL 60641-4331
(773) 304-4411

Really nice people. It is nice to find a part seller that doesn't only care bout your money. We had a lil chat with the owner. Nice dude. If he ask tell him Nordine(me) sent you.

Peace
NSXR

PS: Thx King Marty and Loktaiex for the tip

·
Registered
94 Posts
hell my car shakes at 65-85 then it stops, i had VERY VERY worped rotors, junkyard special but i bought new ones and it stopped but my alignment is hella off or else 1 of my tires is unbalenced, probley both but it goes away and no vibration at over 100, keep in mind i got a dx that ive had at 112, spedo limited, its got a stop block, i was over that but not by much, i love the mx6 great car you'll spend money on any car u get, i would reccomend fixing the front end if ur gonna race it cause i got mine all fixed except for alingment and it makes it safer even tho being over 100 isnt safe. fix it u already got all that cash into it you'll fix it all over time unless u wreck it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts