Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just put on a new custom exhaust (i'm sure u all know that by now.) And I have been noticing that my car isn't as fast as I remember. I guessed that i may have too little backpressure now which causes less hp and slight hesitation. Could an intake solve this problem? Or somethign else?
Now why do I think my car is slow. I reaced a kid a few months ago who i go to school with. I beat him barely, but I still beat him. He has a new camaro but just the v6. Yesterday, I was just screwin around trying to tailgate him and he tried to get away. He easily pulled ahead of me and i couldn't keep up with him. It made me nuts!!!!
I also got passed by a new 2001 passatt ( the new design is nice by the way) on the highway and couldn't get back up to him. Whats wrong???

G

·
Hmmm, I've been having the same problem. I put 2.5" custom tubing on with a dual-tube straight thru muffler and a resonator. The tubing isn't crimped, it's bent like stock tubing but not mandrel bent. With the resonator it should have plenty of backpressure, though.

I don't see how resetting the cpu would make any difference with exhaust, maybe with intake since it would be changing the air-fuel mixture. I did reset the cpu when I had my O2 sensors replaced though, and it seemed to improve things. I'll try that and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not get mandrel bent, I just got custom 2 1/4 piping. I also did not reset the computer. If someone could tell me how and why to do it, I'd gladly give it a try.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sounds easy enough. I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the help.

G

·
After you instaled aftermarket exhaust, most likely you will lose some low end horsepower, but increase high end horsepower . I would recommand shift your gear(if it's a manual) around 6,000rpm or higher.

[Edited by mnhuang68 on 03-13-2001 at 02:51 PM]

·
Registered
257 Posts
also, when resetting the ecu, with the neg cable remove, i was told to apply the brake pedal too. not sure if it makes a diff tho. cant hurt. it worked when i changed my O2s.

and with 2 1/4 and a resonator, you've got PLENTY of back pressure. what kind of muffler did u get???

and as far as the pasaat thing, if it said V6 on the back, dont sweat it at all. that's the 2.8 engine from the Audi's. it has [email protected] and [email protected] it WILL continue to smoke you until you do major mods. if it was NOT a V6, it was the 1.8T from the Audi's with [email protected] and 155tq FROM 1750rpm TO about 3200rpm. those engines have one of the widest, flatest torque bands available. and his is new and you prolly need a tune up :) that can easily cost you the 10hp to be even as far as #s. but his torque band will do a number on ya. and if it was a 4motion, it was all wheel drive, an obvious advantage to a FWD without a LSD.

so dont sweat it! but really what kind of muff did u get? i've heard of only minor gains, but rarely a loss. and yes an intake will help. do a custom CAI.

L8Rs
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the muffler with a glasspack muffler. Its a mostly custom setup. I was thinking about throwing in a custom CAI, but my only concern is that it looks crappy and cheap...

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
not to be a ****, but the passat with the 1.8t 170 h.p. engine runs a high 16 sec 1/4 mile, so you should've at least bveen able to gain somewhat on him

·
Registered
257 Posts
ok, i'm thinkin we're gonna get moved to "kill stories"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts