Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've noticed that when I get on it and spool up my turbo, after I let off or whatever I get this overwhelmingly huge scent or something burning like oil. I get this smell whether the windows are open or not. I have no idea what it is?? Is it just my engine?? is it my turbo?? I dunno what to do guys I haven't even had the car for 6 weeks! I've also been told that when I stomp on the gas, I get a ton of smoke out of my tail pipe. Could that be related?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yeah it very well can be that your turbo's oil seal is going out. Unfortunately, this requires a rebuild. But that may not cost much if you know the right place to send it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually noticed tonight that it's not ONLY when I stomp on the gas, it also happens during normal driving, but it's more and a stronger smell when my RPM's rise!

·
Registered
73 Posts
What condition is the crank oil in ? is it black with a burnt smell ?

It could be the turbo oil seal, or it could be engine wear piston rings valve seals etc. If the service history has frequent oil changes then the turbo might be ok.

Turbo cars do blow a lot of smoke if the turbo seal goes. Rebuilds on the mx6 IHI turbo are fairly reasonable. I was quotted $300 for mine though I have not done it yet.

Dom.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What color of smoke is coming out of your tailpipe??? If it's blue, most likely it's your piston rings which would mean that you would have to replace them. If its black then your oil is burning up which could be anything from your gaskets to your whole engine. I don't think it would be your turbo just because your oil doesn't even pass through your turbo (atleast to my knowledge it doesn't) If I were to guess I would have to say your valve stem gaskets were starting to wear out. Go down to AutoZone, Checkers, Pepboys, or your local automotive supply store and get some valve stem gasket repair fluid and see if that works. It a cheap way to start. Anyway, I hope you find your problem.

Peace

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anther way to tell, possibly it has been known in the past, if you have alot of oil running from below the turbo, alot of blow by by the turbo itself, it might only be seals, but usually is a good sign that the turbo is on its way out. otherwise it could be anything, you should ask the person who you bought it from if the car sat along time withough running, if this is the case it could be as simple as valve boot seals, I had to replace these on a older mazda mx-6 I use to own, the car had not been ran for about six months, and the valve boot seals dried up and cracked, but then again it could be worse

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those who don't know, oil does go throught the turbo. What do you think lubes it? Anyway, to answer your question it does seem like your turbo is on its way out. How do I know? Mine is sitting with the same problems only worse. It started as just a big poof of smoke out the back. Then as i idled down out of a gear smoke rolled out the back. If I got on it hard, smoke. Was like this for about two weeks. Decided to see how long I could drive it before it gave it up. Well only about 50 more miles. Now it will bearly run, and has a loud ticking sound (the bearing). So my advice would be to park it, pull it and have it re-built. I know that like most people (including me) this is your primary mode of transportation, but fix it now before your stranded.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not think that anyone questioned whether the turbo had oil running threw it or not, at least I did not, but since the turbo is part of the complete running system of the entire engine and it is not a seperate entity, it leaves alot of room for error, by just asumming to be the turbo right away, even if it looks and seems to be the only reasonable answer, but since this is an engine with more than likely alot of miles on it, than the door is left open to the possibility of many other working parts, that can produce smoke and the use of oil consumption, such as blow by on the rings, a bad head gasket, a cracked head, a plugged egr valve, a warped head, a worn cam, a worn or cracked oil journal, and many other possibilities, if you are short on cash, then start looking for the cheapest possible solution, this does not in any way mean your turbo is not bad, this just means that, if you have more time than money, than just do not assume. unfortunately, this is automotive's we are talking about, to were something simple can be mistaken for something much worse and cost you a fortune, and leave you with the same problem. if you can, do some testing on it yourself. ask some shop mechanics for advise, it is free.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok??? I spotted two periods in that whole paragraph which means it can't be considered a paragraph (just a very long sentence or two.) Just my $.69...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not suggesting that anyone is wrong with any of their information, just suggesting that before you spend any amount of money, to possibly get some help with your engine with someone who can actually be there to help check the problem. I am not trying to be right, or prove someone else is wrong, I am just offering help. I thought that this is what this site was for? Never meant to dis anyone, that is not my intent, good luck..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts