·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NAME: Sa' Les
1996 MX-6 LS
V6 MYSTERE SERIES

OK, HERE'S THE STORY...

I WAS GOING DOWN THE FREEWAY ABOUT 80 MPH AND SUDDENLY Sa' Les STARTS LOOSING POWER AND THE SOUND OF HER PERR CHANGES TO A MUFFLED GURGLE. I THEN DOWN SHIFT TO 4TH AND SHE TRIES TO GAIN BUT THE NOISE GETS WORSE, SO I GO BACK TO 5TH. THEN SHE HANGS ON FOR A WHILE AND _______________, THERE IT IS, SHE FLAT LINES. MEANING THE CAR SHUTS OFF AND WON'T RESTART, SO I LET HER KEEP COASTING UNTIL WE COME TO A STOP. I POP HER HOOD AND SMELL A FAINT SMELL OF BURNED RUBBER, BUT NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD SMELL IF YOU WEREN'T TRYING TO SMELL ANYTHING. OTHER THEN THAT ALL OF THE WIRING APPEAR TO BE GOOD, ALONG WITH THE HEADS AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT'S EXPOSED UNDER THE HOOD. SOMETHING SAYS, "KELLY, CHECK THE OIL." SO, I CHECK THE OIL, THE DIP STICK IS BONE DRY. I PULL THE OIL PLUG OUT WITH MY CHANGE KIT THAT I KEEP IN THE TRUNK, 4.5 QTS CAME OUT, SO I KNOW I HAD OIL. I HAVE THE CAR TOWED TO MY HOUSE AND I ADD 4.5 QTS OF OIL, I STILL GET A DRY DIP STICK NOW, AND THE CAR HAS NEVER STARTED SINCE, ALL I HEAR IS THE STARTER CLICKING, BUT NOT ONCE WILL YOU HEAR THE ENGINE ATTEMPT TO TURN OVER. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INSIGHT THAT CAN HELP ME OUT, OR HAS ANYONE EXPIERIANCED THE SAME THING?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
sounds like Sa'Les could use a new distributor...

but to make sure - try starting her again once she cools down.. once youre sure it wont start, pull a plug and attach it to a plug wire, and touch it to the block while someone else starts (use caution) - you should see some arcing.. if not - most likely ignitor failure.

beyond that - it can be a fuel pump, among many other things.. but we'll just hit the most common ones first.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Indeed it does. Just for a heads-up, you're looking at an 800-900$CND job at a local Canadian tire. Luckily, the V-6 has non-interference pistons, meaning your valves will most likely be intact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I Never Would Had Thought That My Timing Belt Snapped Because It's Brand New, So I'm Going To Take A Look At It. But, If The Timing Belt Snapped Would I Or Would I Not Get A Reading On My Oil Dip Stick? Thanks For The Insight, I Really Appreciate I'm Going To Take A Look Now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sa' Les Lives On!

OK, I CHANGED OUT THE OIL IN HER, AND TURNED HER OVER BY HAND. THE OLD OIL HAS A FAINT BURNT SMELL TO IT, BUT IT WAS ONLY IN FOR 1 1/2MTHS. WELL, I ALSO DID THE SPARK PLUG TEST TO TEST THE CYLINDERS. IT'S A GOOD TEST, AND YES... 2 OF MY CYLINDERS ARE FINISHED. SO IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THE SAME SYMTOMS TO THERE CAR IT'S YOUR CYLINDERS. SO, I WAS WONDERING WOULD YOU GUYS GET THE ENGINE REBUILT OR WOULD YOU GET THE CYLINDERS REPAIRED. THE CAR STILL RUNS SO I WAS THINKING GET THE CYLINDERS REPAIRED, BUT WHAT THE HAY, WHY NOT JUST REBUILD THE ENGINE?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts