Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading my new motortrend mag and I noticed that the new Kia soul has 3 engine choices. 1.6 diesel(europe) a 1.6l gas and a 2.0 gas. I was more interested in the 2.0 so I did some research. here are the specs

driveTransmission Type5-speed manualTransmission and Axle Ratio (x:1)I = 3.308, II = 1.962, III = 1.189, IV = 0.951, V = 0.778; R = 3.583, Final Drive = 4.188

Engine TypeInline-4 Displacement (cc / cu-in)1,975cc (121 cu-in) Block/Head Material Cast iron/aluminum Valvetrain Double overhead camshaft, 4 valves per cylinder, variable intake valve timing Compression Ratio10.1:1 Redline (rpm)6,500 Horsepower (hp @ rpm)142 @ 6,000 Torque (lb-ft @ rpm)137 @ 4,600

picture of the engine:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/15285035/112_0905_12z+2010_kia_soul+engine.jpg

There is talk of a 6spd mtx being available.

Not sure if any of this is even correct, but I just sparked my interest. I will get some pics from the kia dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
if its a mazda engine, its probably the fs, but even that never came with variable timing.

would be interesting as it would reopen some aftermarket.

edit: see if you can find pictures of the intake or exhaust gaskets, i think that would confirm anything.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Look at the front edge of the head, deffiatley not a FE. But dont let that stop you from looking. I think ther could have been other models, non us that recieved the Sportage FE engine.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
FS would have chain driven cams, so not it either.

Edit: Or just cam gear cover integrated to the cam cover, but different cam cover and head anyway.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
fe3 is also 1998cc not 1975...the pics most closely resemble the new ford motors...the 2.0l and 2.3l like the focus and contours and mazda 3 etc...but still doesnt look like it...im sure its a hyundai variant of some sort...

and power seems low for a fe3 with 10.1 CR, I would imagine

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
That kia sedan is obviously a version of the GE/GF 626 sedan. Very cool that they came with the FE somewhere :tup:

Since Kia is owned by hyundai and hyundai just developed a new motor with Chrysler and mitsubishi I would think it's likely to be a version of that motor.

If not Hyundai/Kia have had in-house 4 bangers for years now.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
FS would have chain driven cams, so not it either.

Edit: Or just cam gear cover integrated to the cam cover, but different cam cover and head anyway.
I am pretty sure the FS is belt....the new MZR engines are chain.

I really am not a fan of chain driven cams....I think its like a step back to the 70s

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Wikipedia article for the Soul lists the 2.0L as a Beta II engine, which is a Hyundai design.
Darn I wish it was the FE. I went to the dealer today to see it for myself. physically they look very much a like. That betta 2 engine looks pretty promissing. The soul looks like it will do very well. Its a nice step up for KIA.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
the FS is belt driven, not chain.

the hyundai beta motor is a very nice motor. it has been used since like 96. my old tiburon (and all 4 cyl tiburons really) came with the motor. there have been 1000+ hp beta's out there. it was designed based of the mitsu 4g63. to the point where you can actually bolt up certain 4g63 tranny's.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I am pretty sure the FS is belt....the new MZR engines are chain.

I really am not a fan of chain driven cams....I think its like a step back to the 70s
The FS is belt and I do believe the MZR is chain.

Do you have a reason to dislike chain drives or is it just because it's something in common with old GM ford and Chryslers cars?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
early Mazda and Mitsubishi engines had them too, and they were a c*nt to work on.....ecpecially when it comes to removing heads etc. and the chain itself is harder to replace....they add weight and noise.

The only reason I can see the manufacturers might have done it, is so that they can extend the warranty beyond the normal life of a timing belt....so yes the chain might last longer (although I know of a few engines where it doesnt) but its more expensive to fix when it finally does go wrong.

It just seems odd, that manufacturers of overhead cam motors went away from chains to belts....now its back to chains....usually when there is an improvement in technology, everyone tends to stick with it.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I think it has to do with the VVT systems. It's possible to make a fully sealed unit to go with a belt, but it's a great deal easier and cheaper to design, construct and maintain if there's allowable leak.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
most of it is to do with both your calls.

VVT systems require- tight timming. if any bit is out - it can cause massive problems.
so recoomended intervals of a HI stress Hi -rev engine with VVT will require exact timming and more reliable, = chain

but on cheaper cars with VVT you will notcie low rev limits in aroudn 7K or below.
the VVT systems are not hi out puts normally to increase low end and only variable around 1-3 degress in some cars.
being cheaper they are fitted with belts.

in fact some are and even on DOHC single belt with cam being gear driven like a KL engine.

the fact that some cars are even required at certain intervals now to require a new only new chain tensioner - not just spring but complete unit. demonstrates the added stress that has been added to the motor.

oh and just on the KIA bit.

As Jess pointed out in before - we got FE's in KIA Credos as well as sportage.
they are now alot more junked around. having a look a potential engine parts car on the weekend.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Hyundai/KIA are owned by the same co.(well basically kia owns hundai now)that's a slightly updated version of the engine in my wife's Hyundai Elantra-they are fairly quick for a 4(140+hp).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts