Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive always been under the impression the mazda rx8 was seriously disapointing performance wise and that basically a rotory unless equipt with a turbo setup was crap.
But after doing some browsing today ive noticed a few pplz running low 14's with an n/a setup still. Its got me wondering if its possible for the rx8 to get some pretty good times/numbers out bolt on mods and not having to go forced induction.

Becuase the 350z is a good example of this altho i guess they are all ready a 14sec flat car stock before ne sort of bolt on mod is done to them so once u chip them with full exhaust, air intake a tune 13's on n/a setup for them isnt unrealistic.

But 13's on a n/a 3.5 v6 is pretty impressive, just wondering if the rx8 is able to achieve these times without need of forced induction or if a low 14 is about as good as it gets

·
Registered
426 Posts
im not an expert, but id wager that you wouldnt get much more power with boltons on an n.a rotary. i just dont see how. :shrug: theyre such small displacement even if they can rev to the shit.
i am interested to hear more from someone who knows their rotaries tho.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
perhaps asking this queston on RX8.com and not MX6.com you might get some answers?

i personally think they arent that good, and thats not because of their straight line performance, more of their overrall package. good for everyday driving, not as a sports car

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
bolt ons, not really, rebuild the engine with some porting, its possible

·
Registered
418 Posts
could lighten her as much as possible...might a little more of a dofference + bolt ons.

I think if you add a turbo she still would classify as a sleeper since everyone presumes your N/A. But thats not relevent to the original question.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
yeah there is a reason why in tokyo drift they turbo'd the rx8. NA it couldnt do the driving they wanted to do.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
With rotaries, its all about porting if you dont want a turbo.....

People sell extractors for Rx8's, I have no idea how much benefit they are but on most rotataries its a good idea.

the RX8 is the first rotary mazda to have side port exhaust (similar style to inlets) rather than peripheral.

You could plonk a set of RX7 housings on there, Then you would need to look at the intake porting.

PP 13B engines are good for 400+ hp but.....they have alot of compromises.

Not sure you would get away with having on in an RX8 unless it was a track only car!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Well I do know on a track a decently setup Rx-8 can keep up with a 350Z.

RX-8's respond chassis wise even better to more power and more suspension mods.

Yes turboing is it's key to massive power.

but the new side ported engine is only really different in thats it has no peripherial exhaust ports.

extractors a whoel new system works. But most have foudn cat and cat back to be the biggest benifit in doign os you get the rotary note and instantly more response.

next is the ECU. All rotarys are over safe tuned. Eg desgined to last 250,000km's tune. and the odd missed oil change.

it will never be a straight line weapon. It's killer blows are it's lighter body and more balance in the chassis.

I know when they came out Ric-shaw owned one and he was first to put out exhuast and suspension mods. He had brakes and few others done.
Go look at the DVD of Serious performance 8, My friends S2000 and this Rx-8 are total miss match but I've seen both cars and seen what they can do. The S2000, skates on the street, even a bit with semi-slicks.

At least the Rx-8 look tame, and you could only imagine what damage it could do with another 150HP or even 250HP to get close to the S2000.

which in the that video is so old now- it's on 2.2L build up. shhh don't tell anyone

·
Registered
675 Posts
The RX8 handles very well. quater mile times will never be killer. Strip the inside out and you will get a faster time. remove all the panels and anything else you don't need and I"m sure you will cut 2 or more seconds off the quater mile time.

However around a track a standard RX8 is much faster than my Cosmo. Better breaks goes a long way to getting around a track faster. Down the straight its no effort to catch up, but once the corners arrive I can't keep up. Interestingly the RX8 used more fuel too. Wakefield is from what I can tell, a tight course with lots of corners. Might be a different story on a track with less corners.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
wakefeild is a track that evens out power.

1 second is not like 50Hp - like at eastern creek.

that track is all about grip and cornering.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
if you wanna sleeper, get a 70's rolla and drop a massive motor in it, keep the zorst quiet, and make it look stock as possible

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
yeah no cam change it's Port change only.

irony I guess is how important air-flow is to a rotary. where as for a piston engine it is but not in the same value in terms of percentage's

EG a mild port can give you up to 30% more on rotary

lucky to see 10-15% on N/A engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohk i got no doubt porting on a rotary is gonna be alot more costly than bigger cams or porting on a 6 or 8 tho.

Fitzyb, i wouldnt mind a sleeper but that doesnt mean you have to completely sacrifice looks. You can still have a good looking car and it be a sleeper.
Dnt really want a piece of crap that goes fast, cuz even tho itll itll beat alot of pplz theyll still say "its quick, but its still just a piece of shit"

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Fitzyb, i wouldnt mind a sleeper but that doesnt mean you have to completely sacrifice looks. You can still have a good looking car and it be a sleeper.
Dnt really want a piece of crap that goes fast, cuz even tho itll itll beat alot of pplz theyll still say "its quick, but its still just a piece of [shizzle]"
If it looks good it can't be sleeper.

A sleeper is something anyone and I mean anyone will take on at a set of lights. Including mum and dad in falcon or Camry or Corolla.

that's a sleeper. A sports car with big rims - says look at me period.

Even a cressida with front mount is not sleeper.

my old mans almost 70 but he knows what has go and what does not.

maybe in other states people are slow. but here in NSW. I know most people know when they turn up at a set of lights they know if or fit not that have chance or if they will bluff it.

even my wagon it looks too clean with gold wheels. I get lots of bluff's. every camry corolla will bluff it at the lights. but most realise soon as they here exhaust and intake - they back right off.

there is stock look sleeper and then there is Bomb sleeper.

Stock look can't apply to even a celica- it's sports car it carrys the sport cred. A bomb out celica now that's sleeper. I mean half a body panel dented in and bumper hanging off.

If I see a clean car pull up next to me I know it's Got to have either a ballsy driver or something to go.

A true sleeper is like a totally stock hubcap wearing Toyota Corona 85 model 2.4 super responsive
with a 3S-GTE and water to air intercooler. No visible new stuff - faded paint. And pee shooter exhaust. No intake or exhuast noise.

that is a sleeper. even the corrolla owner or the 316I - or Deawoo matiz owner thinks he's got a chance. Even the Rx-8 owner.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Agree with Rod,

Here in NSW everyone drives like mad c8nts.....if you sit on the green for more than 1 second expect a horn...and most people will have a crack at the lights...

Anything that looks like a sports car, or anything with a loud exhaust, even if its a 5" cannon on a yaris (dont laugh there is one of those that drives around near my work....its an Auto = fail) people will try and take you.

A sleeper has to have a quiet exhaust, not overstated wheels/ tyres, no give away badges or stickers

A classic example was an 808 I used to have many years ago, it had different colour panels, it was a 1976 sedan and we pulled the 1272cc motor in favour of a 1970cc one from a Rwd 626, used all factory driveline inc the exhaust from the 1600cc 808. the only give away 626 steel wheels....now that was a sleeper...at 850kg

you could just sit back and let the opposition get a car length ahead at the lights, and then blast them.....

Sure its was a piece of shit but back in my uni days that was the best we could come up with, the whole project had a budget of less than $200, but I dont think there has ever been more fun...

even my 626 was a sleeper, but probably not anymore as there are very few of them on the road and the exhaust is too much of a give away.

my GD is more of a sleeper as it looks like a normal 2.2 hatch, doesnt even have turbo badges....the rear wing doesnt count for much as ever man and his dog straps a wing on the car, but as the exhaust is quiet (its a VP commodore rear muffler) no one pays it second look until they hear the yelp of wheelspin while I am trying to get traction in second.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The guy at my mazda dealer said that the next rx-7, since they're going back to that, will have a three rotar engine with turbo? I'm guessing he knows his stuff, that would have some balls...

·
Registered
426 Posts
The guy at my mazda dealer said that the next rx-7, since they're going back to that, will have a three rotar engine with turbo? I'm guessing he knows his stuff, that would have some balls...
its going to have the 16X engine im pretty sure. which would be 2 rotors each with 800cc displacement. maybe a 3 rotor option? that would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
The biggest sleapper I've seen was on the weekend. 180B that looked like an old original car, had the original hub caps, rear venitials and white walls and the stock exhaust. The interior was also stock, besides the hurst shifter............ what the???

I had a look under the car and the exhuast was stock all the way from the back of the car to the 'cat' area, where it had a dirty dirty electric cutout.

The car was running a VG30DET with a big hidden and black painted cooler, with a tricked auto with a big stall converter. It ean a mid 13 down the quarter on the weekend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts