Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new. Great forum. Shame it is quiet. Loved these cars when I was young. Recently found one in great condition.
Just wondering if the probinator chip will work on an Australian mx6? Many thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
yes it will. probinator is no longer around after scamming a lot of people out of their money. i still make custom EPROM's specific to your cars modifications if your interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, out of interest is anybody in Australia running an American chipped ecu?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
The Probinator chip will NOT work on an Australian ECU to the best of my knowledge. The ECUs are different from what every thread on this forum says. Circuitry is not the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Good job I didn't buy the chipped ecu from the states. Now I/we need to find somebody to chip our ecu like 'woo' used to. Got quoted for a standalone system which was $1700. Called interceptor. I declined...

·
Registered
774 Posts
well megasquirt will be your cheapest standalone.

The Probinator chip will NOT work on an Australian ECU to the best of my knowledge. The ECUs are different from what every thread on this forum says. Circuitry is not the same.
actually i never found an Australian EPROM i couldnt reprogram, i think the problem with probinators EPROM's are he never set the checksum and i have found depending on the country it has various negative side effects that include: no start/run, fans on at very low temp and limp mode.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I'm sure you can reprogram it. Just Woo's ECUs dont' work in the US, and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Woo's ECU mod is just that, its more than just new tables loaded into the EPROM.
There have been other modifications done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all, I was going to post a new thread. But I don't want to be a forum hog. I have been deliberating over my recently acquired mx6. I picked it up off an older gent who was the second owner. It is in fantastic condition but is obviously getting quite old now 91. I was going to spend some money on it. Mainly tuning to create an old school sleeper. Considering the age and the lack of availability of parts is this a worthwhile project? Or should I just save my money and invest it in something which is naturally built for performance? Thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
save your money, they dont make power easily or cheaply. there is no aftermarket support and it will pretty much never be a sleeper unless you add forced induction.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are you kidding me "stoker100"...
the question is are you wanting to be a hp hero or are you wanting a car that is fun to drive?
If your wanting to be HP hero and say you have 500hp.. then forget about that, so i would agree with stoker save your money and buy something else...
Or do an FE3 build. Not very common in Australia.

The F2T's can make quite a bit of power with not much in the way of work...
The typical mods you do to any car work quite well on these. Full exhaust, decent sized intercooler and a bit more boost...
You will not be able to run anymore than 12psi on the stock ecu due to boost cut, but at that boost level on a stock turbo it should be in the ball park of 100-110fwkw and have a load of torque.
with a woo chip or fiddled AFM and a decent turbo setup.. It has been done in the past with t25, t28's, hybrid stock or high flow stock turbo and a decent dump pipe...
you can reach 160-180fwkw which makes the car a handful to drive.

Most people who have had f2t's will tell you basic supporting mods is usually enough to keep you entertained.
120-ish fwkw you will be embarrassing quite a lot of modern cars on the road.

If you cannot find a woo ecu to stop boost cut, speak to jesiotrot in regards to the AFM... Himself and one of the other guys seems to have the AFM trick sorted.
Not too long ago an F2T with a hybrid stock turbo, decent front mount and a fiddled afm made 180fwkw

So how much power are you really looking for?

·
Registered
774 Posts
i guess your idea of a "sleeper" is different to mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the responses. I was actually looking at the magic figure of around 180-200. I will contact Barry. I'll also look at the AFM. I understand more hp costs more money. Just didn't want to be flogging a dead horse! I love the cars, really enjoy driving it just want that extra power. I'll start with the ecu mod. Ive already got the stainless system from the downpipe back. Need to source a decent downpipe also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just need that little diamond woo chip. Barry's email doesn't work. Surely someone can do the replication of the woo ecu? I'm trying to avoid standalone systems. The chip would be sufficient for the power I'm wanting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello all, I've been trying to research tjr suggested upgrades. I will have to wait for a woo ecu to come up for sale. What parts do I need to source for a t28 upgrade? Obviously t28 turbo, what intercooler would you recommend? I've purchased some 2nd hand 440cc injectors and getting a walbro pump installed. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the 440s or the Walbro, you're just making work for yourself.

The factory fuel system supports power to 250hp.

I would not even change the intercooler.

These days you can buy T25 flanged after market manifolds on ebay, that is one option.
Or do the VF10/VF12 upgrade using the VJ11 exhaust housing then you don't have to worry about changing the manifold at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts