Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know I want to boost my car sometime. I am hoping to at least have the parts gathered by the end of the summer and to put the car under the knife by winter at the latest.

I have been thinking that it might be cool to try to get a good supercharger setup made for my car. I just wondered if you guys thought there were any advantages to that route compared to a turbo setup. I am well aware that turbocharging would be a much easier route but I don't really do anything the easy way. :p

I was looking at something along these lines. Maybe not that pricey though.

SUPERCHARGERS: Vortech V-5 Series Supercharger | Vortech Superchargers

Do you guys think it is possible to mount it down below the alternator on an mx6? That would eliminate the need for a transfer shaft. The probeaddiction kit is set up like that.

ProbeAddiction Supercharger Kit

I would be installing this on my built KLDE with 8.5:1 compression and 210 degree cams.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
the turbo/supercharger debate is really endless.

What stands out in my mind is that one of the biggest advantages of a supercharger is you don't have to wait for it to spool. Its instant boost. You have to consider however if that is what you want in a fwd platform that's not known for its excellent traction. People will then argue that you can get a clutched supercharger, but to me that just begs the question why not turbo?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The old supercharger/turbo question..... from experience on my mustang which has had all 3 roots, centri, and turbo I found that with careful selection the turbo is the better for power. I started with a powerdyne which had to be the easiet to install since it needs no oil ran to it. The drawback was the lag....a centi supercharger is basically a turbo that is run off a belt rather than exhaust so full boost may not kick in until a certain rpm. There are some people that have made their turbo run off a belt instead of exhaust....not really sure how well it works thought, you may want to google that. The root blower was awesome off the line but like previously stated that may be a problem with traction. I would have to say I had the most fun around town with the roots blower....it didnt have a strong pull in the upper rpm area. Turbos if properly selected for your engine can make boost early on and hold all the way through to redline. I put a rather small hot side on my turbo and started seeing boost at 1800 rpm with full boost somewhere between 2-2300 rpm. A turbo also produces less parasitic loss than a supercharger so you will see more power per lbs. of boost than on a supercharger. The main difference is the price...like many of the experts here say to do a turbo the best way it is pretty much going to have to be all custom for the best finished product which means no ebay turbo....you going to have to order a special setup just for your vehicle, like always said it all in what you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. My power goals are between 300 and 350whp. I think I could accomplish this through either method of forced induction.

I'm looking at the style that's not a roots blower. I think the one I linked would be pretty well suited to the KLDE.

Keep in mind that with the 8.5:1 compression and top end cams I lost a good deal of low end torque. If the supercharger will make a few psi at idle and lower rpms the car will idle better than it does now and it will also have more low end torque. I wouldn't be too concerned about wheelspin. I don't race the car and I have a set of traction bars waiting to be installed too. If I can get a supercharger to keep building boost until redline it will compliment my cams too.

There are some that list 14psi as their max boost, which would give me the power I am looking for. If I can get a supercharger setup to make the 12-14psi that I would need for my motor to make 300-325whp for close to the same price as a good turbo setup I think I might give it a shot.

I know how much a turbo setup costs. I've researched them to death. I don't cheap out on anything and I don't DD the car since the motor build so time and money aren't really a concern. If I go with a turbo kit I was looking at pretty expensive turbos anyway (Something along the lines of a GT35R).

·
Registered
39 Posts
It sounds like you have the engine ready to go and seems you have plans for a good build...hope everything goes well. I would like to see a centi put on the 6...def be something people will be interested in seeing.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I run a centrifugal supercharger how hard would it be to run 12-14psi of boost? I would like to make a few psi at idle to see if I can even it out some.

I am not against using a turbo. I just wondered if it would be something a little more out of the ordinary.

I will have to look into the GT30 if I decide to go with the turbo instead.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would like to make a few psi at idle to see if I can even it out some.

This statement tells me that you don't know how a supercharger works, or a turbo for that matter. You cannot make boost at idle.. the TB is closed at idle.

Do some searching man, it will answer many questions. Again, I would stay with a turbo for yor HP goals. A supercharger will take about 50hp from the engine at in your case. So your motor will be making over 400 and you may get 330whp.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand how they work but I obviously don't know everything about installing one on my car. :shrug: That's why I am here. I never said I know everything.

I'm not interested in roots style superchargers at all. I know you used to (maybe still do?) have an m62 setup on your probe. How much hp did you make on a stock motor? Also, how much psi were you able to get out of the m62?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I understand how they work but I obviously don't know everything about installing one on my car. :shrug: That's why I am here. I never said I know everything.

I'm not interested in roots style superchargers at all. I know you used to (maybe still do?) have an m62 setup on your probe. How much hp did you make on a stock motor? Also, how much psi were you able to get out of the m62?
It doesn't matter what type of supercharger you use, they will all take a great amount of HP from your engine.

I did have an M62, and I don't really know how much HP I made. It was on a stock KLDE and I only ran about 6psi. The M62 can push about 10psi max on a DE/ZE. I wouldn't go higher than that beacuse it wouldn't be efficient.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The most efficient centrifugal supercharger I have seen is 76 percent efficient. I guess that is pretty shitty compared to a turbo which is probably much higher.

Maybe I will give one of my local performance shops a call and see what they say.

I am probably still going to turbo but I thought if I could make the same power supercharged I would try something different.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
A properly designed turbo kit will spool just as fast as a centrifugal supercharger. IMO centrifugal are a a waste of time. Go with a nice gt3076. You'll easily make your power goals, and I'm spooling below 3000 on a 2.0L motor

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i have always wanted to s/c my mx6. i have bought two s/c already but sell them because i realize time is an issue lol. i want to s/c because A) v6 s/c are cool as hell B) instant boost) C) it sounds so sick

plus turbo on our cars makes the exhaust yucky

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just my opinion but I love the idea of a supercharged MX-6. Boost through all RPMs with no lag. It takes power to make power though, where as a turbo can make power without big power. I would say thats generally the reason that most choose turbos for the MX-6. Good numbers are entirely possible through S/C if done correctly. It can also be a complete failure with the wrong setup, but isn't that the same for turbos? The biggest knock on the S/C route is the cost...

I will say that a forged internal, high compression engine with a S/C would be Badious Assimus. I would respect that alot more than just another turbo MX-6.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I know that I am not going to have the fastest KL out there. I don't want my car to be anything more than a fun STREET car that turns heads and surprises people. I want usable power on the street more than high hp numbers.

With that being said lets say I decide to go with a supercharger. If the supercharger is 76 percent efficient I would have to make 394 horsepower (This is not including drivetrain loss at all) in order to make 300 horsepower at the wheels. That's a pretty big loss but it could have its benefits if the power is there all the time through the power band or if it can make full boost at around 2k rpm (centrifugal superchargers do have to spool a little to make full boost). My low end is pretty [shizzle]ty and I don't want to have to rev the piss out of it to make power (even though I probably will anyway). My car is not a race car so I will probably have fun with 300 at the wheels for a while. 300whp will definitely torque steer all over the road anyway. That's all I really need. :p

Gandarilla has an almost identical motor to mine (I have cams, he doesn't that I know of) and he made 386whp at 14psi with a gt35r turbo. On 16psi he made 417whp. If I can get 14psi out of a supercharger I would make (theoretically of course) 293whp with 14psi. I'd probably be okay with that.

The biggest turn on for me is that I could probably fit the centrifugal supercharger where my AC compressor used to sit. If I can get it to fit there the piping would be stupid easy to route to the intercooler in the front bumper and up to the intake manifold. There would be no mess of pipes that come with a turbo, no transfer shaft needed, and like car-insane mentioned there aren't any changes that would need to be made to the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Supercharger is cheaper and easier, but I gotta say turbo FTW. People like the sound of the SC, but I prefer the sound of the turbo spool personally. :)

SC is much more sleeper when people are looking at your engine, especially if you put it where the AC compressor used to be.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
You are going about it the wrong way. You made your engine into a top end monster with low compression and big cams. You dont work against the engine by trying to ballance out the power, you work with what the engine is built for. Otherwise you will have a car that is a pig down low and doesnt even have a top end to back it up, making 350whp, for about 1000rpm between 4-5k. A big fat ball bearing turbo will spool down low and make massive power all the way to redline. Personally I would say superchargers are only good or higher compression motors where response is nuts but your not going to be making bigger power up top. Say even a stock ZE supercharged will be fun. With your motor you will be going backwards. Also dont think that it will be slow down low, you wont have neck breaking power under 3000rpm NA, turbo or supercharged. A turbo still hits you harder down low then NA does.

My turbo makes full boost by about 3200rpm. Turbo lag is not as important as people make it out to be. If you have a bad sized turbo for your donk yes, but a properly sized turbo will be faster then any supercharger on a KL. Bold claim, but its true. Think about how many Supercharged owners change to turbo, then look if it happens vice versa. The 4agze guys all go turbo once they get serious. Im not saying superchargers are no good on KL's, they are just not suited for YOUR situation. They werent suited for mine either.

Because you have a built motor ie different to stock, you should really to some proper calculations to figure out turbo size. Take into account cams and compression and the KL's standard setup and talk to a turbo shop and get them to custom build you a turbo. A GT30 means nothing. There are honestly probably about 50-60 different turbos that a "GT30" is when it comes to compressor/turbine wheel combinations. It will cost the same as buying an off the shelf turbo. I know here in Sydney GCG turbochargers does the service with their massive line of Garrett turbos. Look for something similar.

·
No one told me about this
1,426 Posts
You hit the nail directly on the head, when i saw the title and who wrote this thread I was like why would he want a S/C?....

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just kicking the idea around. I guess turbo it is then. :tup:

I would be putting the added stress of a 400whp car on my car to get 300whp out of it. Parasitic loss FTL. :tdown: I know my internals would be good but it would be more fun to have the full 400whp I can get with around 14psi on a decent turbo setup.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts