Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just to start i'm not a cars guy and don't have much knowledge about them technically other than the basics - oil change etc.

I obtained a 1G MX6 GT early 2021 and i've tried taking to several mechanics to get it running as it should. Just annoyed as i've spent quite a bit now and i don't feel like it's where it should be.

I had the turbo running OK after the first mechanic but after a few months the pressure would fall until it basically wasn't working at all. Moved to a new area so new mechanic and this one suggested that the stock turbo needs to be rebuilt - which he got done with garrett turbo parts. My issue now is that when the turbo kicks in sometimes it will increase up to 5psi and won't go any higher, sometimes up to 7psi, sometimes up to 7psi and then drop back down to 5 psi etc. I recall it used to gradually increase up to 9psi and stay there while your foot is held down on the accelerator.

Is this normal? He said something about the 'solenoid likes to sit at 5psi'.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
It is impossible to guess exactly what is going on with your boost.

I doesn't sound like the turbo was boosting the way it supposed to from factory.
The wastegate runs about 7 to 7.5psi. The factory turbo solenoid adds between 1 and 1.5psi to the wastegate when the ECU turns it on, the computer only opens the solenoid valve in mid rpms so as you floor boost should start at 7psi, go up to 8.5psi and drop back to 7psi at high rpms.

The fact that it's boosting only 5psi makes me think something is up with the wastegate or there is a boost leak after the turbo (usually the throttle body boot).
I recommend unplugging the factory solenoid wire connector and seeing if you only get 5 psi steady.

The factory turbo solenoid:
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gadget Cable Gas

(Only picture I could find).
The black thing on the box. Yours wont be painted black.
If you look closely on the left side of the solenoid you can see a 10mm nut, it is on a threaded adjustment rod with a flat head screw driver groove at the tip.

If there are no boost leaks in the turbo charge pipes I recommend wiring the factory turbo solenoid to a switched 12V source so it's always on when the car is running. To increase boost you simply loosen the solenoid 10mm nut and unscrew the adjustment screw one full turn at a time, lock the nut and check the boost, repeat until you get the desired boost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts