Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Zako has finally blown his engine up!

After a nice tuning and fixing, I decided to take my car for a bit of a run on 13psi...something she used to do daily.

Driving, driving, enjoying the BOV going nuts from the boost..... 100km/hr on the freeway when my car decided to change gears from 4th to 1st!! OMFG!!

I had never seen so much smoke come from any car in my life... This was on the freeway and it happened just before the wellington road exit.

So I pulled over and assessed the situation. The engine was still running. Sounded quite nice and normal actually, but I'd lost drive. Must've blown my torque converter up.

Somehow I managed to limp her onto princes hwy before she really died in front of the Springvale Necropolis (guess she wanted to die :( )

Got her towed home and took her to the mechanic the next day and he said that it's not worth repairing as it would've cost me $3000-$4000

So she's off the road now and I won't even dare spend anymore money on her.

I will be wrecking her for parts soon, so a post will be put in the for sale section soon. I might keep all the seats and fuel system and turbo for my 808.

So she's dead boys.... :(

Regards

Zako

·
Registered
187 Posts
NOOOOOO!!!!

Another one bites the dust, and they ain't making any more, but look on the bright side it just ups the value of the cars that are left :p

Seriously though I feel for you man, did the mech tell you exactly what happened? How the hell'd you go from 4th to 1st???

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sorry to hear mate :( Can't see how it happened, so wierd!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well he gave me a massive list of ALL the problems that were wrong with it.... a list that made me want to throw up. It was that bad.....

I'm judging that either the box just decided to **** itself again (I've had a bad history with gearboxes) or it could've been an electrical problem.

It's saddening and really stressful seeing I have no transportation whatsoever. So I'm using trams and trains at the moment, but I'm just going to work my ass off and get my 808 on the road ASAP, but with work, this will prove quite difficult.

I had a talk with dad about it and he agreed that it wouldn't be worth investing money into it to fix all the problems. I know it was a good car, and I'm missing it, but **** happens.

The mx6/626 legend will live on when I eventually get the Fe DOHC into the 808. I've been talking to a few people and now I've just got to get prices happening, but I'll be chucking in some parts from the 626, like seats etc....

But at the moment, I guess it's time to save up and either get another car (ie my uncles Mitsubishi Lancer/Colt) or get the 808 on the road...

I'll have to sit down and think about it tonight.

I'm at work at the moment. Can't be stuffed working! hehe

Regards,

Zako

·
Registered
610 Posts
From one 626 owner to another.....Your poor bastard. I feel for ya man. Hopefully mine doesnt go anytime soon.

Paul

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys,

She's gotta go this weekend or next. No RWC. I'm hesitant to strip her, so I'd prefer her to go as a whole.

I'm open to serious offers..... refer to for sale forum.

She's prestige silver in case you're wondering. I might rip the turbo off and keep it...

Regards,

Zako

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Sad SAd SAD now you got me wondering with my car.

Oh well another sad day.

It you decide on stripping it , let me know

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep yours dude!!

I'm selling mine coz I personally can't justify the costs of repairing it, but I'm sure there's other people out there who would love a project car.

I'm considering getting a small run about, some really cheap old skool mazda.

I've got two 1300 engines in the garage, a manual box, an auto..... so I'm thinking of a cheap 1300 2 door! hehehe. Remember how I was gonna get a series 1/2 rx7?? Well the fuel bill won't be too nice now I'm on a limited budget! hahaha

Bro, you've invested more money in your car then I have., keep it!

Regards,

Zako

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone make me an offer! hehehe

Check the for sale forums. I'm wanting to just sell the whole car as I wouldn't have the time to strip it.
:(

I've got to buy a daily ASAP, as I travel from Endeavour Hills to Frankston, to the City daily..... a pain on trains!
@-

Regards,

Zako

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Nah Zako mate I'm keepig mine and the Wagon ( I hope to get it when I grow older)

I was just worried about the Torque converter but it didn't blow when I had it tune on 13psi original crappy rebuilt box.

·
Registered
793 Posts
wow bad luck im waiting for mine to die, hopefully after its sold
glad mines manual

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$2000-$2500

That's my asking price guys... Refer to For Sale forums.

PM me here or respond to the forsale thread as my internet at home is down, so I can't check there

Regards

Zako

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
sorry to hear that the 626 is dead.

i thought u had some sort of good warranty on your box? and that it was good for atleast 350kw or something?..

i dont mean to be a downer, but im pretty sure u wont be getting 2500 for whats left. a drivable one can be bought for around that price dude...

anyway, what im getting at is - are there any other avenues you could explore? (depending on how much you love the 6 of course).. in my opinion, what your doing is giving up!!, dont be beaten by the 626..

maybe this is time for a manual conversion? and put the FE in the 626, where it was originally meant to go!

either way, your going to lose money, its inevidable - so why not lose it in style.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Brad,

Thanks for your comments.

First of all, the gearbox does have a warranty and yes it was supposed to be build to withstand high HP outputs. I guess it's an electrical fault and if that's the case, the box isn't covered for electricals.

The warranty is 2 years old and I only got it put in May, so it's still got heaps left.

The reason I want to sell it is because I simply cannot afford to maintain the car. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, but it's probably one of the most highest maintenance I've ever come across.

I've spent thousands just keeping her on the road and now I think it's just time to cut my losses and get rid of it. Let's look at it from this point of view

Conversion Costs:

Microtech :$1000 (excl wiring costs and dyno)

Gearbox: $1200 incl gearbox, shafts, hubs, pedal box (mind you the box is 2nd hand so it could last for years or days)

Suspension: $1000 (that's with King Springs and Koni Adjustables)

Engine: Rebuild kit $400

Steering Rack: Dunno the price.

Engine Mounts: $400-500

So all up I'm looking at $3900-$4000 just for a manual conversion and to get her on the road again.

To me, to my pockets and to my family and friends, that's too much of a cost to bear if ever you decide to sell the car. I'll never be able to make up the funds I've invested into it.

I'm not giving up. I'm just thinking of this in a logical, sensible and futuristic manner. It's a project that to me will hold no worth at all in the long term. I'm so fed up with the problems that I'll just pass the car on as a wreck and make whatever cash I do on it. It will then be up to the buyer to decide what they want to do.

There comes a time in one's life where you sit back and think, **** is it really all worth the hassles of doing this, or doing that? That's what's happened to me and the realisation that this car is simply a money pit and I'm sure many people on here can empathise because they know and realise how costly these cars can be. Frankly I don't have that money to inject into a car that has had more problems than I can remember.

So to me, it's makes more sense to buy a really cheap daily, spend $500 to get that to RWC state and use that. Meanwhile, I'm getting used to the public transport system and that itself is quite easy on the pocket.

As for the condition of the parts, my interior is perfect, albeit in parts because I've ripped my sound system out, the panels are near perfect with a dent or two here and there. The engine itself still runs and I have moved it up and down my driveway a few times lately. I just think the torque converter shat itself. The seats, the dash, everything is in VGC.

I will however keep the FE for other plans. I'm slowly but surely working on my 808 into which the FE will go into eventually with a nice turbo combination. She's currently in the garage getting sanded back, bogged, polished, welded etc... and is very small on costs at the moment. And to me that's fine. I see it as a classic and I am enjoying working on it.

I used to enjoy the 626 but once the problems got out of hand, it got me fed up.

So there you go people, that's an honest account of why and how I came to my decision. $2000-$2500 to me sounds very reasonable for the condition it's in. Considering ones in stock form are being sold from $5000-$8000.

I'm open to offers, so voila. She'd be a great parts car for anyone and mind you those 626 hatches, turbo and in Prestige Silver are rare.

In the meantime, it was nice spending time with you guys and talking cars etc... I'll be around the forums every now and again, and will check the for sale thread regularly. Good luck with all of your mods etc...

Regards

Zako

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Zako,

your going to have to excuse my opinions, i hate to see another 6 off the road, thats why im so biased..

you were advertising your car for 6000.. your now gonna part with it for around 2000.. thats a loss of 4000.. and at the end of it, what your going to end up with is a crappy run around, that wont compare to the fun you have/will have in the 626.

why not spend the 4000 (that your gonna lose anyway) on bringing her back to life!.. this way, you'll have a machine again..(btw, i DO know that the figures dont add up, but it might stooge some people hehe)

everybody goes down this path john. ive wanted to sell my beast so many times over the past few months, but after spending more time and money on it, i now have something that im satisfied with and love once again....

so i can say that i understand what it feels like to be in your situation.. being stuck on a main highway, with chunks of gearbox everywhere under my car, while waiting for the fire truck to come clean up the 5 litres of oil it dropped, is NOT a good memory for me..

what comes to mind is dub's car.. that was an absolute machine, he claimed to have spent 30k on it within a matter of months.. he snapped a rod or something and decided to give it all up.. im still dissapointed with his decision, there was a custom bottom end for sale at the time which he could have bought and it would have rejuvinated his beast.

im sure i dont need to explain myself when i say that cars are like women.. and our cars really seem to get their rags hey? seems like once a month they play up and unless you give them enough attention they will dump u.

in all honesty, i guess if i was in your situation i'd probably be doing the same thing you are.. but sometimes we get caught up in emotions and all that crap, then end up doing something (financially) stupid like dropping in an fe, microtech, a big arse shiny turbo + a phat cooler to match... then you can tell your kids that 'back in your day' you had a grandma's car that could run 10s..

i guess it all comes down to what you want/need in life.. personally i love cars, and i hate driving around in sh!tboxes (even though some may class my mx6 as one of those, i do at times).. seems like you've made your mind up and its probably the most logical thing you could do.

*shrugs*.. somtimes you just gotta do something a lil crazy dude.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really understand where you're coming from. And I know how you feel knowing another 6 is off the road. And the thing that gets me more is that it's a fcuken rare 626 as well. Not many of them came out in Prestige Silver, turbocharged.

The main reason I'm advertising here is for the simple fact that if an mx6.com member buys it, I know it'll be in the hands of someone who knows its worth and will do something good with it.

As per doing something crazy, mate one day you'll see the fruits of my twisted imagination! The 808 will be a rare car and trust me, it won't be tame.

The difference between Dub and I is that he had the money to throw at it. I'm only trying to get a cheap daily under $1500 that can get me from home to the train station and back.

I can also see where he was coming from though. It's a never ending vicious cycle. Once you start spending money on it, you can never stop.

I find myself falling more and more in love with old skool Mazda's. Take for example the 1500 SS. That was a car originally designed for Alfa Romeo, but the design was too expensive for them back then, so Mazda bought it and voila.

I'm trying to hook myself up with either an r100, a 1300 or a 1500SS (this one I'm looking at has an 1800 in it)

Old skool Mazdas seem to be my calling. They really do seem to be

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
if old skool is what you love, then the best advice i can think of is go for it man..

the first time i met you and we all headed down to calder, you had high hopes of your 626.. you had the box, you had the fe dohc at home.. you were almost there mate. you talked about how soon as you found a suitable job, you would bolt it all up and turbo it..

i guess now, the sad reality is that your 626 is going to end up being just another pool of spare parts for the rest of us to pull from..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I can find a cheaper box,hubs,shafts, pedal box I might consider putting the manual in and using my F2T ecu till I can afford microtech. I got quoted $1200 from Ken EXCHANGE (meaning I give him my box, hubs, shafts etc...)

You wouldn't know how much a steering rack is by any chance?

Regards

Zako

1 - 20 of 24 Posts