Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With winter winding down, it's time for lookin to spring projects.
After the ball-bearing debacle of '08, it kinda took the wind out of my sails spending all that money to have the turbo grenade after boosting on it TWICE:tdown:
So I did some research on what turbo I wanted goin in the car next & decided on the TD05 series. Much more reliable than the ihi's that came stock & future upgrades would be possible without any further fabrication needed. Starting w/ the 14b, yeah I know it's small, but it's only for a while.

After it was on the car & functioned, I starter lookin @ gettin her to breathe better.

So, next the vaf will be relocated to under the battery tray 1st. Also I am finishing the hardpiping from the Cooler to the throttle body, which will also include relocaing the bypass valve to just after the intercooler , as opposed to the stock location just before it . I have all of the pipes, couplers & tbolt clamps I am gonna need either in hand, or on the way. All 2.5" mandrel bent aluminum. The bypass is a type-s knockoff & relocating that will have the valve closer bypass return , I had a turbo inlet pipe made last year 2.5" w/ the bypass return now @ 1.25" to match the outlet of the type-s.
The vaf will be safe in it's new location & the air filter will have a shield on it, so water gettin in there will not be a problem. This will also allow me to get that intercooler swapped out. I have a spare in hand that I'll be having the inlets removed & enlarged to 2.5" to match the pipe size...............then onto a nice big 16g after summer is over & I spank the holy crap out of this 14b.

pics forthcoming as soon as the weather breaks 60 degrees & I get started:tup:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
kool kool..
i always wondered if you would be back.. i have a Big 16G for sale... or do you already have the 14b?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kool kool..
i always wondered if you would be back.. i have a Big 16G for sale... or do you already have the 14b?
I allready have the 14b, but as my prior post says, I'll be hammering the holy crap out of it, so entertaining the purchase of a 16g might be an idea. Is it an actual mitzu one or an ebay one??

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I saw a 20g for $150 on dsmtuners.com

I believe 14b's were off of the WRX...could be wrong though.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
. which will also include relocaing the bypass valve to just after the turbo , as opposed to the stock location just before it .....

If you end up doing that, I hope you're in the market for a new turbo again because you'll blow yours to pieces. Doing what you just stated is functionally equivalent to having no bypass valve at all.

You cannot vent pressure to a medium that has the same pressure you're trying to vent from.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I saw a 20g for $150 on dsmtuners.com

I believe 14b's were off of the WRX...could be wrong though.

WRX's use a VF IHI turbo, not a mitsu...

Reactions: n2o_matt

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If you end up doing that, I hope you're in the market for a new turbo again because you'll blow yours to pieces. Doing what you just stated is functionally equivalent to having no bypass valve at all.

You cannot vent pressure to a medium that has the same pressure you're trying to vent from.
+1 exactly what i was thinking

Reactions: rebel2k4

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 exactly what i was thinking
oooh dam!!....what I meant to say was just after the intercooler....not the turbo.....dam what a doofis!!!:jump:

fixed:tup:

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
its been a while.......and it doesnt seem like much has changed since last time you posted lol

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotta get this setup in place 1st, as I allready have it. I can get one locally from turbo center ( John's the best:tup: ) & have one "in waiting" allready;)
Patience young padowan!!

Got the die grinder out & took the corners off the mani to make room for the bolt pattern of the TD05, takin it to be welded next monday. & remember it IS hockey season & cold out...so i spend more time watchin or goin to games in the winter....once it warms she'll be right as rain

Z.....you know I am allways doin stuff to the car, just a wee bit smarter this time around as far as turbo choices go.....:cool:

The best part of this setup will be , in the event I need to have the turbo off, I no longer have to take the mani & or downpipe off, that & upgrades require no further fabrication!!! :jump:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The best part of this setup will be , in the event I need to have the turbo off, I no longer have to take the mani & or downpipe off, that & upgrades require no further fabrication!!! :jump:
I hear ya, I did the same thing with my setup and when it comes time to repair/replace anything it'll be a lot easier.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear ya, I did the same thing with my setup and when it comes time to repair/replace anything it'll be a lot easier.
That I can take the entire center out without having to even mess with them damned exhaust mani studs is a huge plus!!

How do ya like how that 16G pulls on yer car??? I know I am gonna have fun with this 14B, small yes, but it's a 55 trim & spools nice. I have an upper engine to "build", some better fuel mgmt. I'll be gettin me one like yers:tup:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I love it, I'm at about 4500 ft elevation and I get full spool between 3200 & 3500 RPM. It pulls hard all the way to redline, and I'm only at about 12 psi but I can tell it has a lot more to give still.

It's also really easy to keep in the power band:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I couldn't wait for next weekend to start messin around & just gettin things mocked up. Looks like I went WAY overboard prepping for this project, cuz I am gonna have way more pipe & tbolt clamps than I'll need. I was surprised @ how nice everything laid out!! Now these were taken w/ my mp3 player ( 1.3megapixel) so don't expect superb clarity. But here's a few pics of the vaf/bypass relocation mock up
1) this is the bypass just above the tranny where the old lower pipe used to be

2) the bypass & where it leads back to infront of the turbo (2 pics)

in the second one you can see the vaf is now under the pipes.
I can't wait to finish this part of the car!! It'll free up a lot of space in the engine bay AND get my upper pipe away from the upper radiator hose, whereas before the two were touching :tup:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, got the last remaining couplers & pipe I needed to get it all mocked up. Fits in there SOOOO nice, I am actually beside myself @ how nice it all lays out. I also got the wastegate actuator @ a nice enough angle that it'll work nice. Leon brought over a basketball hand-pump & I was able to pump up the line going to it & got it movin!!
I pitched the center section of the turbo just a tad ( the nice thing about a TD05, so flexible & easy to work with!!) & VIOLA!! Looks like I'll be back to boostin here really soon!!! Again these were taken w/ my mp3 player so the pic quality sucks

Without further adeu......

1) the vaf underneath the pipes: lower charge pipe up & around the vaf

2) shot from above the inlet & outlet of the cooler you can see the vaf below (& YES the blue coupler is only a TEMP)

3) Same area different angle

4)bypass valve & return ( I need to get a longer hose to attatch from the return to the valve...no biggie!)

5)lookin down @ upper charge pipe & turbo feed pipe/bypass return below

6)where the vaf, meets the bypass return turbo feed pipe, the big black hose goes to the valve

7)lower charge pipe leading to throttle body

All in all I am really pleased @ how it turned out:jump:

16g definetly coming soon!!:tup:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.