Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Do servo's in sydney still sell E85? 120 octane is good too bad you have to change all the seals and things in your fuel system

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, united in Rozelle sells E85, but that's different, E85 has an octane rating of 105RON.

If you tune your engine to suit the characteristics its like a poor mans race fuel....sure you use 40% more but its cheaper. The only downside is the lower distance per tank and the lack of availability. I am looking at doing an E85 conversion down the track purely for performance reasons. it suits a boosted engine quite well. look at some of the guys in the states

on the other hand E10 is rubbish, you cant gain any performance benefit from using it, the octane rating is the same as 91RON, and the calorific value is lower.

·
Registered
752 Posts
yer it is like a poor mans race fuel :lol: im sure lotus made a special edition Exige torun on E85 in the UK and it was a weapon

·
Registered
505 Posts
How does Ron 98 perform?? fuel economy/performance wise?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
How does Ron 98 perform?? fuel economy/performance wise?
It depends on how you drive. With my MX6 it gave extra performance when you needed it, :) but was way more economical when driven carefully, than normal unleaded.

Same difference with our Mazda 3 SP23. The dealer filled the tank with 91RON but the car was transformed using premium unleaded. (Just need a K&N air filter, I reckon, and I'll be happy.)

Premium unleaded is recommended.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It really pisses me off how ppl think there saving money with regular unleaded. Sure it appears cheaper when ur filling the tank up, but at the end of the day ur filling ur car up sooner compared to using the premium stuff. I literally only buy the premium stuff for the extra responsivness that it provides. When u weigh up the extra cost associated with premium and the extra km gained in economy ur just about breaking even dollar wise with regular unleaded.
My 6 is running close to 8/9L per 100km..... on BP ultimate, cant complain with that:) and i do push her abit.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
That E10 shit eats your fuel system after a while. I know Toyota doesnt recommend them for any of its imports (supra etc) and any local cars produced before 94 or something like that. I would bet Mazda would be the same. Too many stories of people filling up with E10 coz they thought it would be cheaper then 2-3 tanks later they start having bad missing problems and find out something is fucked big time.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The other thing everyone forgets is that ethanol is hygroscopic, its a bit like brake fluid in so far as it absorbs moisture after a while....meaning your fuel system components are now exposed to water....

I was reading up on what issues people running their cars on E85 have faced overseas to find out what I'd need to do to convert one of my cars to E85, and there are quite a few issues.

apparently one of the big ones is the fuel filter....it clogs up with crap alot quicker as the ethanol dissolves all the sediment in the fuel tank....I expect this would be worse in an older car where the sediment build up is higher.

another thing to look out for is the petrol station itself, when they convert their old underground tanks to hold ethanol blends the same thing happens but on a larger scale. Theyre also supposed to install ( I cant remember the spec exactly ) a better filter at the bowser, like replacing a 20 micron one with a 5 micron filter. Often this does not happen.

I figured that if I did the conversion, I'd have to convert my fuel rail to stainless steel.
I'd have to toss out my copper swirl pot and associated copper fuel lines and replace them with S/S also.

Plus install a Diesel car style fuel filter in the lift pump line to get rid of the tank gunk, or pull the tank out and have it steam cleaned (or both)

then change my high pressure fuel filters about every 6 months.

Apparently steel fuel lines are ok, aluminium or sort of all right, and anything containing copper or zinc is no good along with any natural rubber or cork.

I have also heard stories or cats going bad too.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah but does he go as well as before :lol:

·
Registered
892 Posts
It really pisses me off how ppl think there saving money with regular unleaded. Sure it appears cheaper when ur filling the tank up, but at the end of the day ur filling ur car up sooner compared to using the premium stuff. I literally only buy the premium stuff for the extra responsivness that it provides. When u weigh up the extra cost associated with premium and the extra km gained in economy ur just about breaking even dollar wise with regular unleaded.
My 6 is running close to 8/9L per 100km..... on BP ultimate, cant complain with that:) and i do push her abit.
i dont know where you live, but in sydney, even though regular has dropped BELOW the dollar a litre mark, we are STILL paying 1.40 - 1.60 for premium, so its not more economical here.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hmmm thats pretty expensive, we are paying around $1.15-20 for Premium here.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
AH the whole REal reason we went ethanol is the last Federal government decided to help and fall to the National party and it's Sugar farmers demands to make ethanol part of the mix.

Now yes it does not make the engine any more efficant.

it's like In sydney we have silly natural Gas busues
but even the latest and 2 generations previous European Deisel Buses which we are not only Getting Burn cleaner then they do on the Natural Gas.

E10 E85 what ever mix you want. - It can be used to A create more power - and it can be used to create lower emission.

But two problem - 1 Australian EPA LAW states you can not change the cars Emission or Fuel control from the manufacturer.
The only way to harness added power is to change the fuel and emission controls and change the Catylist to a more robust type.

This add most expense to both ends.

But benifits are there.

If you ever dare. Add 5 L into 30L or 20L of fuel - Just plain Methanol fuel. For some it's known as Remote control Hobby fuel.
Now just add 2 to 3 degrees. Go thrash the car.
Not only will you not see temperature guage move. you will also notice it will eat it alot quicker. But it create alot more power in the process.

Ethanol based fuels Alchol based fuels all burn differently. This is the biggest problem.
Mixing it with something car makers are use to using for the last oh 100years almost , it's like you trying to say nah I'll fill it with water it will work.

The next levle of saving lazy bums is using left over Fat's for oils for burning.
Been working on it for years espesially for aircraft.
As even though it works fine in some cases as Bio Deisel when purified and molicules changed it can turn into a very kerosens substance that a Jet engine can use.

having said that - Jet engine is Efficent

Inertnal combustion engine has become more efficent over time but even the most efficent engine is still not getting the Most out of Per Litre of fuel.
Depending on how you measure you power out but it all comes down to Heat.

And as we know How much of that heat is not turned into turn the wheels it's turn into making hot water.

E10 could work if cars were desgined for it. but ot make it really worth it E65 would be the better bet. Creating just as much if not more power from and engine - it would be like having 112RON fuel in your tank.
and you woudl use onlay .5L more then on equivlant 112RON.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont know where you live, but in sydney, even though regular has dropped BELOW the dollar a litre mark, we are STILL paying 1.40 - 1.60 for premium, so its not more economical here.
Whaaaat ?! Where I buy fuel premium is consistently the same price above normal unleaded as it was for the last 2 years...

If I were you i'd buy fuel some where else if possible...thats fucked.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
E10 could work if cars were desgined for it. but ot make it really worth it E65 would be the better bet. Creating just as much if not more power from and engine - it would be like having 112RON fuel in your tank.
and you woudl use onlay .5L more then on equivlant 112RON.
from what I have read E85 is only 105RON....problem with E10 is that it doesnt make a big enough contribution to the fuel's octane rating on its own, so its only ever going to perform as well as the base fuel...which is why its shit.

E85 on the other hand has the octane rating thats more the qualities of 100% ethanol, which is not dissimilar to methanol....problem is that you need AFRs of somewhere between 8:1 and 9:1 to make it work....so its going to use 40% more...although if you can tune your engine to use 105RON, you can decrease that useage by going to 13:1 comp on NA engines and 10:1 on boosted engines which in turn raises the thermal efficiency.

Only prob is that at the moment E85 is retailing for the same price as 91.....so in effect your paying more as your only going 3/4 as far on a tank.

from next year the V8 supercars are supposed to be running on E85, it'll be interesting to see how they go, I expect HP increases, along with fuel tank sizes and fuel stops during the enduros.......

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Mike they seen you coming for sure. I pay 10c more then regular for 98 octane as always. Like 1.10-1.15

·
Registered
892 Posts
alright well i admit i never really looked but thats what i heard, i havent put fuel in my car for about 2 months so i havent been looking at what it costs :p

but i am so sure i saw it fro some ridiculous price more then regular.

BTw rod im half tempted to try that, ive been flyin RC for damn near 7 years and i got heaps of fuel around here. 20%nitro 28% oil the rest is god knows what oh well, it is 2 stroke tho

1 - 20 of 25 Posts