Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - My car is very close to hitting the 2 0 0 (I can't believe I've still got it) and I need to replace the timing belt.

Is this hard? I hear that you have to pull the engine off it's mounts etc. etc. etc. but I'm not sure whether I should do it or let someone else do it (and most likely rip me off)

Ideas ... I'm going to have to replace my engine mounts at the same time i presume ... and stuff like that

Also, I'm presuming that the only part available is from mazda right?

Thoughts people?

Cheers

Nath

PS. I need to source some "Japanese" mazda front pads for my car ... they're better than the bloody crap that they sell from mazda now.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I recomend you go to a local made pad there just as good.

It's hard to find alot of stuff from Japan from mazda now that most is made off in Thailand now.

But Bendix stuff is reasonable priced, the Endless pads are just not worth the money, EBC is good = price.

as for timing belt does not mean you need to do engine mounts

but it's best to do waterpump at the same time as it saves you lots of labour and no need to worry about it.

It's a big enough Job, I personally think doing a head is harder or even gearbox. a Timing belt is not hard and people on this board have done it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
easy for pads

get LUCAS

available from your local abs and they are good enough for OE on most euro manufacturers

at half the price of bendix with a higher temp rating and awesome stopping

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hey man,

I don't know about the V6's, but I've got a receipt in by little folder of 'previous owner receipts' and he has the labour from the local Mazda dealership for a timing belt as $100. 2 years ago though.

For that amount of money, I would pay someone to do it for me, saves a lot of hassle, and in the mean time I could be in a pool, or in the A/C rather than sweating my arse off around a car.

Tripharn

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
well your not in Sydney where, just about everyone say new technology does not work with cars.
and they charge you more the labour then the parts.
Wish I was living in QLD more family - up there not that i'm close too.
But I have alot more fun in QLD

Tripham sounds like $60 for the belt and $40 for the labour.

Alot of places only do the belt. but I've seen many an owner pay extra for a water pump later on.
Then Again I never touhced mine but it's go another 70K+ to do but only 30K' more till next timing belt I do mine every 80,000k's (I'm fussy about little things) I did mine in a big service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts