Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

J-spec ecu???

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  outlaws318 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knew of anyone or anyplace out there that is selling or sells the kl31 ecu

#5 ·
The J-spec ecu is for the KLZE, but you also need the VAF sensor as well. The j-spec ecu and vaf allow you to take full advantage of the higher compression, intake manifold, and larger intake ports of the klze. I purchased both the ecu and vaf on here for around $200. However there is an alternative and that would be to get the probinator chip installed in your ecu. If you don't have a klze you have no need for them though.

#7 · (Edited)
What else have you done? I'm guessing you have a KLDE, correct? If you have absolutely no bolt ons than you have no reason to tweak the ecu. If you have minor bolt ons than you have no real reason to tweak the ecu. In all actuality you cannot tweak the ecu, you can use the JDM ecu with the KLZE with good results if you have done the swap. You can also go stand alone and use MegaSquirt, but it really isn't feasible unless you have done some major engine work or have went F/I. I suggest you work on the bolt ons for now get you intake, catback exhaust, high flow cat or test pipe, and headers. These are you basic bolt ons, if you plan on going turbo don't buy headers untill you get a turbo kit.

Sorry, I see you have a 4cyl. You can still do all the bolt ons, but I don't know anything about the ecu for the 4cyl.

#9 ·
PM me there are things you can do to the KLDE ECU to improve performance. there is one major change in mind that is easy to do, i do tuning on the side so i can explain what you need to do or help you do it if you like.

#10 ·
Enlighten here stoker100, I haven't heard about this yet. I'm interested in hearing.

#11 ·
well as far as i have read, tested (cant test any further) the DE ECU leaves the VRIS closed unless your at WOT, this is for no other reason then to save fuel apparently. as you may know the ZE ECU uses the same VRIS points for all rpm ranges. if i ever find a friend in Adelaide with a DE ill have to test it out.

as for other changes the KL ECU's all run rich (more then they need too) so a significant gain can be had by removing some fuel in the top end (i got a 2wkw gain by reducing my a/f ratio by 0.2 during a quick change on a dyno day) and lastly the timing can be advanced if you regularly use higher octane fuel (in Australia the minimum i see now days is 91 and its very rare.

as with every ECU it can be improved but most people say "its not worth it" because of the $400 price tag for a 4wkw gain. thats one of the reasons i got so heavily into tuning the KL ECU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.