Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got fed up with my number plate housing being cracked and faded, so I pulled it off! :D

Yes, she is a bit dirty; I'd just had a 300 mile round trip to Wndy's!

So that meant I had to leave my number plate on my dashboard (why do we need a front plate in the UK anyway?!)

So now I'm gonna get one of these: (Gonna go for a J-Spec to fit in the aperture :) )

...from Demon Plates

What dya reckon? :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I reckon the font is illegal and you'll get pulled for it. lol
What size you going for? 13"x6.5"?

I need to see pics when you get it on because I want jap size plates too (square just isn't quite right)
Also, I want 'Mazda MX-6 2.5i V6 24v' in the bottom bit

Robert

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
looks good chap, as long as its a legal size coz if its not you'll be getting tugged a lot and told to put it right.

Now stop playing with number plates and mow the lawn!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am the law! :D

I reckon the font is illegal and you'll get pulled for it
Nope, it's not. Demon Plates don't do anything that's not legal (they'll even correct illegally spaced plates too (i.e. ignore how you do it). For those that aren't aware the law changed Nov 2008, such that it's actually illegal to even produce show plates in this country).

I don't want anything fancy, it just looks chavvy. I do like the carbon lettering though, even though it is ridiculously more expensive in 3D! Hell, if I'm gonna get it done I may as well go for the best :D

What size you going for? 13"x6.5"?
Erm, whatever 300(ish)mm x 165mm is in old-skool yeah :)
Believe me, I've spent ages looking at and comparing the different sizes. Demon only do 330mm wide as standard (which is too wide for our aperture), but unless you go for the next height up from 152mm (which is their "shortest" available) the proportions look all wrong. I wanted to get the shortest there is, to help air flow, but it doesn't look right...I've compared different size pieces of white card up on the car to check :)

I need to see pics when you get it on because I want jap size plates too (square just isn't quite right)
No worries fella, as soon as I scrape the pennies together! May as well get the rear plate done at the same time to save postage. As I said the 3D lettering isn't cheap!

Also, I want 'Mazda MX-6 2.5i V6 24v' in the bottom bit
You can have what you like on the bottom bit: it's the Slogan section on Demon's plate builder. Dunno how appreciative they'd be of expletives however...!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Lawnmower man

looks good chap, as long as its a legal size coz if its not you'll be getting tugged a lot and told to put it right.
Yup! Again, Demon won't produce aything that's illegal (not worth their while). I acually went into a plate shop the other day, and the machine/software they use to make up the plates is actually owned by the DVLA!

Now stop playing with number plates and mow the lawn!
Oh ha ha! It's not actually mine, it's just a communal patch of grass outside my house (unfortunately we don't even have a driveway, front lawn or garage :( )

P.S. If you look carefully you'll notice that the council lawnmowers have gone round my car (the bit at the front - i.e. where I took the photos from - is right by a tree) hence that long grass! So there :D

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Are you absolutely 100 gazillion percent positive that that carbon effect font is legal? Because I remember sitting next to a guy when he got pulled by the police and VOSA at the MK cruise for exactly that.

Just my tuppence worth.

Ben.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is only one legal font and that is the standard uk one. There are two letter heights too, one for bikes and one for cars. Smaller is technically illegal but on some imports it can't be helped so they're let off. You have to have a normal rectangle one too unless you have a good reason (i.e. it won't fit, which is our excuse if we take off the plate holder)
As far as I know that is the law (my mum is a police woman).

Robert

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rectangularising the square!

I prefer horizontal number plates .....:ewink:
To be honest I'm still undecided...think I need to have a play with Photoshop n see...:confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you absolutely 100 gazillion percent positive that that carbon effect font is legal? Because I remember sitting next to a guy when he got pulled by the police and VOSA at the MK cruise for exactly that.

Just my tuppence worth.

Ben.
Tbh no, I'm not! But Demon make a very big deal about the plates they produce being 100 (gazillon!) % legal, so that's what I'm going on. I actually scoured the DVLA website for the correct info (plate and letter sizing/spacing etc.) and there's helpfully F-all that I can find! :confused:

Hmmm...I'm willing to bet that there was somehing else wrong with that plate. The fuzz aren't exactly happy about anyone modifying their cars at the best of times - especially not cruises! The only legal logos for example are the crappy Euro etc ones...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is only one legal font and that is the standard uk one.
I stand to be corrected on this Rob, but I'm not convinced that's true. I'm sure I've seen plates on brand new cars (i.e. unsold at dealerships) that are the 3D "effect" or flat carbon...

Smaller is technically illegal but on some imports it can't be helped so they're let off.
Again, if you think about it that's not true either; you can fit a number plate (and therefore text) of any size on any vehicle (and the manufacturers have to comply with the regulations anyway...)

You have to have a normal rectangle one too unless you have a good reason (i.e. it won't fit, which is our excuse if we take off the plate holder)
By "normal" do you mean a long rectangle (as most rears) or a smaller one, as in our fronts?

As far as I know that is the law (my mum is a police woman).
Just out of interest, what exactly does she do? Nothing wrong with a bit of inside information :D

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Best thing to do would be to ring the DVLA or VOSA and have a chat with them. It won't take long and it will save you any bother in the future - especially as the fuzz like handing out fines for this sort of thing.

Ben.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's a good idea. But more time out of my day for information they should really put on their website. They're quite happy to make money from selling personalised plates, but not so happy to provide the information to enable them not to make even more money off the public for getting things wrong! :mad:

Tbh I would've thought they'd have better things to do...
I've passed at least half a dozen police cars so far with my plate hardly visible on my dash (it's just too flat), but not been stopped by any of them...

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is a very interesting topic,what is and isn't legal as far as plates are concerned has been a mine field for years.I have known cars to have totally custom made plates and the driver has never been stopped.Infact there is a car going around here that has the font leaning to the right at a slight angle in carbon effect.I don't for one second belive that it is a legal plate but he said he has not been stopped once in the 18mths he's had it on the car.
I also want to put square plates on both ends of my car,
So Nick,over to you mate.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah brilliant, that looks great! Thanks very much mate :)

However, two initial thoughts:

1. It's not an official website, so there's no guarantee it's actually right.
2. The letters on "my" (Demon) plate above are not "stylised" per se (e.g. italic etc.) and they are in the same font (albeit a slightly different version of that same font).

The plot thickens...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Technically you cant put a square plate on the rear unless you have a j-spec rear bumper as the uk one will take a horizontal plate. You can only fit square plates if theres not enough space for a standard one.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That number plate with the carbon letters is illegal for another reason. Another part of the law that changed in the last review was that the plate must show the post code of where the plate was made. So you can't have the personalisation accross the bottom, as that where the postcode has to go.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Nope, not true! You're right, all those details must go there (supplier's postcode, law code etc) but they don't have to go THERE. They normally put them in pretty tiny writing to the bottom left/right.

...I think! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i changed to square plate last week , got it from halfords plate must be square unless its a import then can use smaller size also carbon letters are ok as long as they are correct size and spacing borders are also ok

1 - 20 of 20 Posts