Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so everyone talks about getting these lights, but who has actually bought and installed them?

The front end of my car was wrecked so instead of the US-spec lights, I got the J-Spec's from Corksport and am getting ready to put them in. The rewiring is no big deal. The tough part looks like the rework of the core-support. (The mounting points are different.)

Has anyone installed these? Any advice and/or photos would be great. I will take some photos when I do the install and will post them here.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the Jspec lights also. You will need to shave the corner of the core support on each side and most likely relocate some the the electrical components. (they are resistors or something, so this isn't a big deal.) I had to make custom brackets to mount the inner portions of the lights though. The lights are held in by only two screws, but this has been proven to be effective. if you need anymore help...drop me a line.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. My car is still at the body shop so I haven't seen it since I got the lights. I am planning to install them myself after the body work is complete. What do you all think?

I just have a few more questions:

1. Would a Dremel tool be enough to shave the core support...or do I need a die grinder?

2. Are the electrical parts on the passenger-side in front of the fender well?

3. Does the driver's side headlight clear the battery?

4. What material did you make the brackets out of / how strong do they need to be?

5. How do you aim the lights once they're installed?

·
Registered
830 Posts
1. You need a stronger tool than just a Dremel. Maybe have the bodyshop cut the frame for you while your car is still in the shop.

2. Yeah, you can move them somewhere else to make more room. But, you don't have to, I did not do it, it's a little tight, but still fit ok.

3. The battery is fine, you don't have to worry.

4. Use a steel bracket, something strong and will not flex when driving.

5. To roughly level the lights, just make sure that the lights set evenly with the bumper. As for finer adj. there are screws behind the lights, use those to move the projectors up/down, L/R.

·
Registered
166 Posts
there are two 10mm bolts on each side of the backside of the bumper. i fabricated 2 Z shaped steel braces from those two bolts and then drilled two holes on the inside housing of the jspec lights. also i had to shave down some of the bumper supports to fit the lights in. theres a clip on the lights that protrude differently then the US spec lights, ull see what i mean. the electical relays u talked about, all i did was bend the metal mount a lil and it fits fine. its a fairly easy install for anyone mechanically inclined. coldnoodle did a very good summary anyways. good luck. =)

·
Registered
139 Posts
lights

what did you guys do about the turn signals, i heard the J-spec lights didnt have integrated turn signals.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had the body shop install the lights. They also wired them up even though I told them I would do the wiring.

They did a great job making the custom brackets for the two inner mounting screws. A really nice detail was tack welding a nut on the back of each hole on the bracket so you don't have to mess with a loose nut, screw and two wrenches.

I was also able to find the proper connectors for the hi & lo beam bulbs. A friend had them in his shop.

The body shop used the existing J-spec socket/bulb and wired it for both park & turn signal. The single filament is lit steady with the parking lights and flashes with the turn signal. A pretty nice idea, but the bulb flashes at about double speed. Maybe a different wattage bulb would correct that?

I probably should change the parking light bulb to an amber one. It won't be easy since there's no way to access it without removing the entire light assembly.

I'll post some photos soon.

·
Registered
830 Posts
sounds like you got it! Yeah, in order to change the light bulbs, you have remove everthing. so just be careful, chech everything before you put them back on, so you don't have to take everything off again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help, coldnoodle and erock1!

The lights are waaay brighter than the originals. :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
hey ken do you know how much the shop charged you to do the lights? I am pretty sure it was part of your insurance claim. I want the lights but I am not sure I can so it my self. Oh what bulbs did you use I have heard that you have to use different bulbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the guys at the shop where I had the work done. They do really good work and pay attention to all the little details.

Initially, they were only supposed to mount the lights, which I described as not being a big deal.

Here's what they did:
- Cut core support, recoat urethane and repaint
- Relocate electrical components on passenger side
- Relocate aftermarket alarm horn
- Custom fabricate new mounting brackets (they look factory with nuts welded to backs, all ground sommth and painted black)
- Wired signals and headlights

They spent an additional couple of days with all this work and I paid an extra $160 over the estimate which was for US-spec headlights. Insurance paid enough for me to buy J-spec.

There was no additional labor for disassembly or reassembly since the entire front end was off the car to perform the repairs.

I could have installed these myself. It would have taken waaay longer and the results wouldn't have been as good.

These guys do a lot of custom and high end work. They sponsor 4 Lexus Motorola Cup race cars and do all the body prep, paint and repair work for them. They also repair exotic cars - currently a Jaguar XJ220 and Ferrari 550 Maranello.

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
Okay I've ordered my jspecs...but I'm confused about something, you said you found the proper connectors for your lights, so I am guessing they didn't come with the wiring harness? The ones I'm getting come with the harness, so it shouldn't be that big a deal to splice the wires right? Also, what bulbs are used for these lights? Thanks!

bj

KenF said:
Well I had the body shop install the lights. They also wired them up even though I told them I would do the wiring.

They did a great job making the custom brackets for the two inner mounting screws. A really nice detail was tack welding a nut on the back of each hole on the bracket so you don't have to mess with a loose nut, screw and two wrenches.

I was also able to find the proper connectors for the hi & lo beam bulbs. A friend had them in his shop.

The body shop used the existing J-spec socket/bulb and wired it for both park & turn signal. The single filament is lit steady with the parking lights and flashes with the turn signal. A pretty nice idea, but the bulb flashes at about double speed. Maybe a different wattage bulb would correct that?

I probably should change the parking light bulb to an amber one. It won't be easy since there's no way to access it without removing the entire light assembly.

I'll post some photos soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bj_swift said:
Okay I've ordered my jspecs...but I'm confused about something, you said you found the proper connectors for your lights, so I am guessing they didn't come with the wiring harness? The ones I'm getting come with the harness, so it shouldn't be that big a deal to splice the wires right? Also, what bulbs are used for these lights? Thanks!

bj
Mine didn't come with the harness connectors.

Bulbs are H1C and H3. Probably a good idea to have spares since most auto parts stores won't have them.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
KenF said:
Okay, so everyone talks about getting these lights, but who has actually bought and installed them?

The front end of my car was wrecked so instead of the US-spec lights, I got the J-Spec's from Corksport and am getting ready to put them in. The rewiring is no big deal. The tough part looks like the rework of the core-support. (The mounting points are different.)

Has anyone installed these? Any advice and/or photos would be great. I will take some photos when I do the install and will post them here.
Am i the only that sees that he has a Ducati SuperSport!!!

nice bike!
later

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
N

·
0 Posts
H3 lights

As far as the H3 bulbs, I would reccomend you go buy the piaa plasma blue lights, they give the lights a purple xenon beam, not blue, they really look like the xenon bulbs, and you shouldn't have a problem finding them. They also make an extreme white which looks really good as well.

http://www.piaa.com/h3bulbs.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts