Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just wired up my j-specs and i wired it up so that the turn signals come on with the parking lights and then blink opposite the rear lights when i put the turn signals on...

so, with it wired this way, the ground wire is getting no signal from the turn signal... the ECU automatically jumps it up to hyper-blink to inform the driver a turn signal bulb is out... anyone know how to fix this WITHOUT adding 12feet or wires and 100 relays?!?

here's what i was thinking (maybe): if i take the old turn signal assembly and hook up the turn signal HOT wire to the HOT wire on the old assembly and then hook the turn signal GROUND wire to the GROUND on the old assembly... would this give the correct signal back to the ECU and slow the signal rate??! or would this wiring setup drain too much power from the other lights?!
(fyi, with this setup, i would be ADDING the old assembly in and just splicing into the j-spec setup... the old assembly with old 1156 bulb would be painted black (to stop the light from emitting) and be placed inside the fender where no one can see it...)

just wondering if anyone knew the POSSIBLE outcome... or some POSSIBLE hazards... just needin' something to stop hyper-blink...

any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The fast blinking on the signal is cause by the voltage leak on the bulb change, haven't heard of anyone fix that problem, but I think you can get the bulb blink slower by adding resistor(s), just like how people make that adjustable blinker modz ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the fast blinking is caused because the ground is cut... if you go into the 2GEN projects forum, the hyper-blinker mod is where they cut the black ground wire... nothing else is done and the blinker goes crazy. because of this, i assume my problem also has to do with the fact that i have cut my ground wire and no longer have it hooked to any light.

how do the resistor's work? how would i hook those up?
Ruby told me all peeps with J-Specs had to deal with this... but i think we all just have to "deal" because no one has sat down and thought out something to fix it... i just want to have it somewhat back to normal...

...besides, hyper blinker puts a *lot* more stress on the lights and i'll be replacing them a lot more...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
rhumen said:
the fast blinking is caused because the ground is cut... if you go into the 2GEN projects forum, the hyper-blinker mod is where they cut the black ground wire... nothing else is done and the blinker goes crazy. because of this, i assume my problem also has to do with the fact that i have cut my ground wire and no longer have it hooked to any light.

Ruby told me all peeps with J-Specs had to deal with this... but i think we all just have to "deal" because no one has sat down and thought out something to fix it... i just want to have it somewhat back to normal...

...besides, hyper blinker puts a *lot* more stress on the lights and i'll be replacing them a lot more...
good luck, :)

eric and myself sat down with them for hours trying different wiring schemes.. and neither of us are strangers to electronics. things that should work on paper did not, in application.

i'm thinking the ground becomes a reverse (negative) ground somewhere along the line... ie: it goes from just an earth ground to (maybe at the stock blinker) a switched ground.

we tried relays, creative wiring etc to overcome it, but to no avail.. at some point we said fock it, its not that important to us, but this was after several hours with just splicing and crimping different wire schemes.

if you do figure it out, lemme know.

I have since decided the small jspec bulbs arent bright enough for me anyways, and will be reverting to stock sockets soon ;) :D the dremel is my friend.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goatcrapp, you have to be one of my favorites on this board... always lending a helpful "hand" of advice... it is greatly appreciated by myself and (i'm sure) many others... thanks! :tup:

before you try your USDM socket conversion... have you tried LED bulbs?? it looks like these bulbs create a brighter, clearer light... maybe something to consider before you hack up your JSpecs?

maybe i wouldn't mind the blinking so much if i didn't have that DAMN CLICKING in the interior whenever i have my turnsignal on... maybe that's an easier question... how do i turn off the damn clicking?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Y doesn't anyone ever say anything nice about me?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
twinturbo6 said:
Y doesn't anyone ever say anything nice about me?
they dont believe you exist! :)

rhumen - i've tried LED's - they changed the rate of blink a little, and were brighter in some ways.. but much more directional...i prefer a little bit wider dispersion.

·
Registered
308 Posts
darnit, someone send me jspecs and it'll all be A OK, promise!

ok goat, might as well get eric up in here as well...

here we go again...

the reason they blink so fast is that the jspec bulb is not the same power (watts) rating as the stock bulb when it blinks. stock bulb has 2 filaments, the park light filament at 8 watts and the blinker which is a 15 watt filament. that's why the stock bulb is brighter, cause the blinker filament is 15 watts.

there is a difference of 7 watts here obviously between the two setups. but if your jspecs wired up like the diagram DarkBlackMx6 reposted then there is a difference of 15 watts, because in that setup the jspec turn blinks opposite the rest of the circuit. because of that there is more power in the circuit so it goes through the timer much quicker than stock.

so to solve all of that crap, you can just use resistors to dissipate some of that excess power. just jump a resistor from the blink wire to the ground that was cut, so when the blinker is on the added resistor takes some of the extra juice.

math and physics tells me that a 9.6 ohm resistor should do, if you want the reasoning behind that, then here:

Watts = Volts * amps

15w = 12v * x amps
x = 1.25 amps

Volts / amps = Resistance

therefore:

12v / 1.25A = 9.6 ohms

the resistor has to be able to handle 15 watts tho.

someone please just do that and put an end to all this craziness...

or send me a pair of jspecs :D

PS sorry for the looongg postttt...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Baoser said:
stock bulb has 2 filaments, the park light filament at 8 watts and the blinker which is a 15 watt filament. that's why the stock bulb is brighter, cause the blinker filament is 15 watts.
The service manual lists the bulb as 27 watts for the front turn and hazard warning light, and 8 watts for the parking light. The bulb trade number is 1157. The corner bulbs that come with the JSPECs are just 5 watts. I've been looking for other replacement bulbs, but the only two that will fit the JSPEC plug are the 194 which are rated at 3.8 watts and the 168 at 4.9 watts.

·
Registered
308 Posts
there are variances in the 1157 bulb regarding the wattages for park and blink, however in this case (wiring up the jspec turn so it is park and blinks opposite the rear for blinker) because that bulb is not in the turn circuit anymore (it is off when the rears blink) that is why there is that extra power in the circuit. if you don't believe me, try this:

wire up the jspec on one side so it is park and blinks opposite, and then connect the other, then with your other jspec socket and bulb - wire that two wire socket to the blink wire and the ground on the same side, you should now see that the blink rate is a little slower, not like stock tho... this is just to show you that u do need something to use some of that excess juice, i think someone touched on this in this thread already...

·
Registered
23 Posts
just take off the jspecs, and send them to me:)

other than that i dont know

yea i know that didnt help much, but oh well

·
Registered
111 Posts
i'm using the stock turn bulb with my jspecs, i was wondering if anyone tried to get the turn signals only to flash when signaling and to be off with only the headlamp on. the amber is ugly, its only good for signaling, i dont want it as a driving light.

·
Registered
308 Posts
um, if ur using the stock bulb and socket, just disconnect the park light wire. if using jspec then connect the two leads to ground and blinker

·
Registered
318 Posts
silent_strike said:
i'm using the stock turn bulb with my jspecs, i was wondering if anyone tried to get the turn signals only to flash when signaling and to be off with only the headlamp on. the amber is ugly, its only good for signaling, i dont want it as a driving light.
I think you can buy clear stock bulbs if you don't like the amber colored ones. But check your motor vehicle law, it may be illegal to run anything but amber for the front turn signals. To disable the corner light portion of the bulb, cut the orange wire.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
rhumen said:

Yes I'm sure making a adjustable blinker modz will fix the problem. I was sitting in my buddy's Accord, and he did that mod with a 10 Ohms adjustable resistor that we use in our engineering class, he made the blinker go from crazy fast to crazy slow, and the switch is just right below the steeling wheel. But normal resistor only handle 0.25 W, so there has to be a circuit to drive that whole thing. I'll ask him for the diagram sometimes, it won't be too hard tho :)

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Ok, I just talked to my buddy with the Accord, he told me that there's a circuit for the flasher underneath the dash somewhere (the thing that make ticking noice when the blinker flash) First we have to find that thing, in that box there's a circuit with a resistor that will make the blinker flash as stock rate, all we have to do is either put in the resister that we want (you'll have to test whole bunch of resistor one by one) to make it blink on the speed that we like, or put in a adjustable 100 kohms resistor, so you can just turn the knob and make your car blink like a christmas tree j/k :D But yea that should fix that crazy blinker problem on the J-Spec ;) I don't know if I'll have time to work on that since I'm going back to school soon, and I won't bring my six with me :p but Steve or Eric should try that out when you guys got some spare time, make sure post and let us know tho haha :D

** Since there's already a circuit for the blinker, we can use any resistor that will take 0.25W which is the normal resistor **

1 - 16 of 16 Posts