Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I read that somebody hear had a JSpec Turbo - what's the diff? Where did you get it?

·
Registered
270 Posts
J-spec is just what they call the turbo. It isn't from a JDM car that I know of. It is a hybrid turbo with the stock exhaust housing, wheel is clipped 10 deg. It uses race bearings. The compressor housing is from the IHI that they used in the T-bird turbo, but the wheel is supposedly from the Ferrari F-40 and it is the VJ-23. Our stock turbos flow around 190CFM, the J-spec is around 320CFM. I noticed that the turbo keeps pulling where the old one died out, and the low RPM responsiveness of the stock turbo is still there. It seems to peak at 4900RPM's or so. I havent been to the dyno yet, but I should get there soon and have some real #'s.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
That sounds awesome. So turbo lag is the same as the stock unit? Do you still get that awesome kick in the ass when it reaches 3,200 rpms? I'm hoping the rx-7 turbo I'm getting does the same thing. It's rated at 450cfm, which might mean more lag and less low rpm responsiveness. But from what I've heard it's good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anarchy - with the FPR installed this thing is kicking some ass. It pulls just like the stock turbo did, but a little more being I have it at 17psi:D Then, instead of dying off, it keeps pulling up until 5000+ RPMs, but not all the way to redline. I bet that RX-7 turbo will pull like no tomorrow to WAY past redline:D I can't wait to hear your results. I'll have my new dyno #'s this week I hope.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Wayman, I hope you get my block rebuilt before you blow your car up :)

G

·
How much is one of these J-spec turbo's? How about other alternative turbos (ones better than stock, obviously). I'd like a turbo that pulls as much through the whole power band as possible or atleast 2500-5500rpm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts