Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
167 Hp @7000RPM, 132.3lb ft @5500RPM
2.0L, 24valve DOHC, V6.

has anyone ever herd of this engine. I was wandering about its hybrid potential. I was looking at some of its specks and it just looks like a cross between the MX3-MX6 engines.

I think it goes to the 93-97 J-speck 323 hatchback.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There are three K series engines available, K8 (1.8L V6), KF (2.0L V6) and KL (2.5L V6). Thats providing you dont include the miller cycle. All three are almost identical. Same physical size. They have common parts, such as water pump, oil pump, timing belt and all associated bits, sumps (lower half) etc. etc. The only real differences are in bore, stroke and head. A KL actually uses KF inlet valves as it's exhaust valves. Likewise a KF uses K8 inlets for its exhaust.

The 2.0L is widely used in Japan. Almost all the cars that came with the 2.5L were also available in the 2.0L. Compression ratio (static) is 10:1 same as KL ZE.

A very nice little engine. Revs a bit harder than the 2.5, but not quite as well as the K8.

I suppose the only real downside it is too tempting to just get the 2.5L, as it will fit in the same space as the 1.8 or the 2.0:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which one has the shortest stroke. I want to build an engine to take a high rev (around 85,000-90,000RPM's). typically that means short stroke, big bore, and lots of air/fuel. Could I obtain the short stroke with the K8 or KF, then bore it out to fit KL pistons. I have one scrap engine with a good top end im gona have the heads worked to handle high boost. Im still trying to figure out what to do for the botom end.

I want to get a 6 to run in the 11's.

·
Registered
282 Posts
KF and K8 both have a stroke of 69.6mm. The K8 has a bore of 75mm and the KF a bore of 78mm.

Unfortunately the cylinder liners are very thin and you would be pushing it to bore them out by much more than 1 to 2mm. Definately no chance of fitting KL pistons.

I have a K8 ZE in bits at the moment, which I am re-building as a spare. I can measure the bore sleeve thickness for you tonight if you want and get back to you tomorrow. The KF is about the same.

The K8 is a good engine as is the KF. I ran (should say thrashed) mine with no major problems. It put down 78KW (thats 101hp) at the wheels (Dyno Dynamics Dyno) @ 7500. Keep in mind my car is not used for 1/4 mile work, only sprint type track work. Only real mods were 2.5" cat back and factory LSD Jap MX3 5 speed (a hard item to come by). Not that the 5 speed made any difference to power;).

I assume you meant 8500 to 9000.

I still think your best bet is to work a KL.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That isnt realy what i wanted to hear.

If you could get me the measurment that would be great. You dont think i could fit 2.5 pistons? I have a friend in Callifornia that could reseave the block but thats a lot of work for something im not even positive will even add a signifigant amount of power.

On the other hand, are the cranks inerchangable. I can get custom rods no problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Unfortunately the cranks are different as well. The K8/KF crank has journals which are something like 10mm smaller (both mains and big ends).

I know exactly how you are feeling. I have been planning serious mods myself. I am fortunate in having a workshop full of bits. Unfortunately I've run into the same problems as you.:mad:

I'll measure the sleves tonight, (both cast block and inserts). You may be able to remove some meat from both, definately not enough to fit 84.5mm pistons (2.5), but you may be able to push it out to a 2.2 or so. By the way the K8 is actually closer to a 1.9L

edit: The Jap spec MX3 K8 runs 9.5:1 CR and makes 145hp @ crank @ 7000rpm:D . Was a really good combo for a late 80's 323 type car. Try do valve work on one of these babies:E . It's like watch making. I couldn't even find a valve lapping tool (little rubber sucker on a stick) small enough to do the exhaust valves:) . Had to make one up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that sucks!!!!!

My bad, i forgot you were in austrailia. All your cars come with more power. I think our MX3 only has 118hp @ crank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts