Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My brother just got in an accident with my mx-6 and busted the stock headlights so I am buying the Jspecs one and found out that I need to do some cutting of the radiator support. Can anyone explain to me how do I do this? I have no idea where to start. I hope you guys can give me the best tips so I won't mess up my car when i try to install it. Detail instructions with pictures would be wonderful. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
And since all the pics are dead here is what you need to cut to get them to fit.

I just used a dremel and a fiberglass reinforced cutoffwheel to cut the circular shape out of the rad suppor tto accomodate the depth of the projectors ;)

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
stealth - i didn't need to cut out nearly that much material from the rad support - i'll go take a pic (and find the pics of my old setup) but basically - you can get away with following the line straight across instead of curving it upward (i also squared off the edge of mine more, but that was more because i was working with a 5" angle grinder w/ cutoff wheel lol.. hard to do curves)

not knocking your install at all - (actually used your writeup to use the aspec corner bulbs, :tup: :tup: since i wasn't about to go through all that rewiring again just for dim jspec bulbs that blink too fast lol)

just going by my own observations...i've done it on 4 mx6's (2 of my own, 1 6'er from jersey, and the first install was assisting darkblack with his) and get nothing but praise from *other* mx6'ers with jspecs for the fitment quality.. zero gap at the bottom , zero "pointing upward/googley eyed" syndrome, and none of the typical driver's side very corner of the corner housing sticking out (i DID have it with my first install, and trimmed a little bit here and there from the rad support until it fit well)

the only thing i noticed in common with other installs that did have these issues was the sheer amount of material they removed from the rad. support.

do (or did, since you have a non oem front bumper now right?) yours "pop" in with a firm snap and hold there until unpopped? just wondering , b/c quite a few installs i've seen didn't and that attributed to the fitment problems also.. theres a tiny little lip/ridge on the stocker bumper that they need to wedge into, but might not if you remove enough material from the rad support for the housings to have nothing to wedge against... (i could be wrong, but eh)

It held them firmly enough where, having lost the one and only bolt holding each of them in (it was dark and i was in PA, and they hit the ground when i took the lights out to adjust aim) and they didnt rattle or move at all on the trip home, and i still had to un"pop" them when i got home, to adjust aim some more lol..

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
And heres the little mount bracket i made so its not held on by the one screw.. To expensive headlights to be loosing one going down the highway.

(i dont have the bolt in there in the pic, but you get the idea)

Mine didnt "snap" into place either, they just lay on the lip of the bumper...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
hrm.. odd.. i don't think i am doing anything special - but all 4 installs snapped firmly into place and had zero gap...

nice brackets btw - i always mean to make some, mainly for security since there are a lot of shady mx6ers in nyc lol...

but seriously, i wish you were closer so i could illustrate what i mean.. you really, REALLY have to work to remove them once they are "snapped" in - not going anywhere. (alot firmer in place than say.. dad's camry's lights, which have like a full 1/2" back and forth, l/r play, with some pressure on them, stock.)

best i can offer is pics - i'll dig up the old ones and snap some of the latest install on the maroon 6 (last month?)

*edit - pics.. these pics are so damn oldschool its not funny lol. before turbo, on chrome rims, with cheap foglights, and hell, back when i still had my craftsman rotary tool instead of my dremel.. lol just lookin at them brings up memories ;) :)

http://polo.lxanyc.com/Temp/Steve/MX6/DSCN1250.JPG
I think this is as bad as the gap ever was - i got them to sit a little more evenly by going over the cuts and removing all the little high spots i had left.

http://polo.lxanyc.com/Temp/Steve/MX6/DSCN1242.JPG
here's what i cut out.... i never went back and really cleaned it up, but the pics i'll take tomorrow show pretty much the same, but straighter/cleaner and smoothed with the aid of a grinding disc and some paint.

random install pic. it was in the rain.
http://polo.lxanyc.com/Temp/Steve/MX6/DSCN1246.JPG

*edit - trent i didnt have to TOUCH the bumper support at all.. it does require a bit of force to snap them in, but it works! i bet that would have worked for ya.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
heh, i ziptied my lights to the condensor bracket. :p i don't have any gap (had to grind the everloving CRAP out of the bumper support) and they seem to aim good enough. a little high, but not nearly as bad as they were before i ziptied the lights at the center. i need to remove the passenger side light though. it sucks. it apparently leaks and i have a major condensation problem in the light. my driver's side one is perfect, but i'm thinking about just taking them both apart and painting the bezels black. the bezel on my passenger light (the leaky one) has the chrome pealing off anyway. pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Huh, i wish mine snapped into place those look like they fit tight as it gets...

Mine do stick out jsut a tiny bit on the corners, and the hood doesnt cover up to the front of the lights... I cannot push them in any futher because of the plastic peice hits the screw. Maybe ill try to ream it out a bit and move them back a little..

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
forgot to add - i did add about 1/3" worth of washers under the plastic bracket, and elongated the bolt slot... the plastic was maleable enough on mine where it kind just bent anyway but i was afraid it would break, PLUS when it bent forward it would raise the rear portion of the mount upward... looked weird.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
heh Look at my fitment problems...

That was before I cut, then here is an after, before I got all the final fitment worked out...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
can you give me a straight on view of the cut(s) ?

seems like you just need to remove a little little bit more material... and then just give her a nice firm push. mine looks almsot like that before i "snap" it into place.

** i will not be held responsible for broken jspecs if you push too hard. lol

*edit - is that a 30's pontiac coupe? whatever it is - very nice resto!

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Goatcrapp said:
*edit - is that a 30's pontiac coupe? whatever it is - very nice resto!
rofl, when I looked I saw it as an old VW beetle... but now I see the spare so uh, nevermind. ;)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Goat, I have the fitment all worked out now!!!
Here is the closest straight on shot I hve... the right(DS) looks a little out of place, but tha twas before I had my extra bracket in there holding it in...
Sorry the pic is so big, and yes, I know, my license plate is off-center :p

As far as the car, It's a 1928 Model A coupe! Here is a pic of the 2 we own... almost All original also!!!

Reactions: kid_puma

·
Registered
257 Posts
I INSTALLED MY JSPECS TODAY IN MY NEW WHITE 93 MX6 WITH 29,000 ORIGINAL MILES. SORRY, I GUESS IM KINDA HAPPY. ANYWAY, MY LIGHTS SNAPPED INTO PLACE. I CLOSED THE HOOD AND PUSHED THEM IN.:ewink:

Reactions: kid_puma

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
yours have too much material ground away from the radiator support at this point :( getting back the snap won't be easy lol.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I dont see how thats going to snap then in though... I need all the cut away or they will be aimed inproperly and i dont have much play on the internal aiming since the mount plates are fabricated.

I will try to get them pushed in farther this weekend..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts