Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

jeep cherokee

1K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  The Anti Rice 
#1 ·
so im in my 6 comin home from work and i get to this light that after it, goes from two lanes to one. up next to me was this old jeep cherokee and so he decided to floor it and gets in front of me and goes 35 mph in a 55 for no apparent reason. so i pass him ,casually i might add, and go on my way of 60mph. so this guy speeds up and tails me till the road goes back to two lanes where there is a stopsign. anyway i thought this guy was crazy and he revs his engine to redline im sure at the sign. so his car (suv) squats down in the back and takes off and i cant pass it up, i had to smoke him. and i passed him easily at the top first and i looked at him and he was like yelling at me in his car. anyway i drove fast the rest of the way home cuz this guy was freakin me out. on the back of his car it had a "4.0" badge on it btw.

#2 ·
nice kill, but what pisses me off is those guys with jeeps and suv who try to race you, wtf are they thinkin? if they wanna race buy a sports car morans, r they really thinkin that they can win?
ok i am calm now, had to let it out, gotta go get a beer now.
later

#5 ·
The Anti Rice said:
I have a cherokee 4.0 . Weakest pos ive ever driven, got like 3 hp, 4tq.
My Wrangler claims like 185hp or something like that

Of course, you cant hear the exhaust over the valvetrain noise past 4k rpms......Man that motor is a POS.

-Garrett

#7 ·
the newer Jeep Grand Cherokees were/are pretty quick for what they are worth. I've seen the v8 ones smoke many a ricer before!!! Kind of funny too.

but what pisses me off is those guys with jeeps and suv who try to race you, wtf are they thinkin? if they wanna race buy a sports car morans, r they really thinkin that they can win?
but what pisses me off is those guys in their FWD sedans/sport sedans who try to race you, wtf are they thinking? If they wanna race buy a sports car moron, are they really thinking that they can win? ;)

Wanna race my friend's Lightning?

#8 ·
the newer Jeep Grand Cherokees were/are pretty quick for what they are worth. I've seen the v8 ones smoke many a ricer before!!! Kind of funny too.
Very true, the newer 4.7L in the Jeeps are great. My grandfather has one with intake and cat-back (Limited)...........that thing hauls. Great SUV.

They have a Special Edition (in 2002) called the Overland. C&D clocked it in the 1/4mile at 15.3 with chrome 17's.

#9 ·
mx6GT91 said:
Very true, the newer 4.7L in the Jeeps are great. My grandfather has one with intake and cat-back (Limited)...........that thing hauls. Great SUV.

They have a Special Edition (in 2002) called the Overland. C&D clocked it in the 1/4mile at 15.3 with chrome 17's.
My buddy has a 2002 Overland. Man that thing does haul.

#10 ·
man, i can't believe all these people dissing the cherokee. i've owned 2, and i can't say enough good things about that 4.0 I6. My first was a 95 two-door with the 4.0 in it, and after dual exhaust, and an intake i ran a 15.8 in it. 15.8 is nothin great, i know, but i always was rather impressed with the power.

#11 ·
im not dissin on them at all, just sayin they arent good for racin and the guy was a crazy a**. my dad has an envoy with the 4.2 (or 3 i dunno) I6 and it hauls too, i raced a kid in a convertible eclipse and destroyed him.

#12 ·
wrx6 said:
im not dissin on them at all, just sayin they arent good for racin and the guy was a crazy a**. my dad has an envoy with the 4.2 (or 3 i dunno) I6 and it hauls too, i raced a kid in a convertible eclipse and destroyed him.
oh, i know you're not dissing them but other people were kinda... i mean it is certainly true that a mx-6 5speed will beat a jeep, but honestly im not so sure that the auto would be able to beat a jeep. and yeah that new 6cyl that chevy makes is a pretty sweet motor. props to them for that

#13 ·
mxmissle9 said:
man, i can't believe all these people dissing the cherokee. i've owned 2, and i can't say enough good things about that 4.0 I6. My first was a 95 two-door with the 4.0 in it, and after dual exhaust, and an intake i ran a 15.8 in it. 15.8 is nothin great, i know, but i always was rather impressed with the power.
My friend had a grand cherokee with a 5.2 I believe. We were going about 30, and both took off, he was ahead of me for a little, but I caught up with him. I was not expecting it at all, or else I would have gone into 2nd. I've had a lot of bad experiences racing from a roll.

#16 ·
Out of all the Jeeps ever made, the Grand Cherokee Overland is the fastest, smoothest and most powerful SUV to come from Chrysler thus far.

But I know a guy with a 1998 5.9 Limited that raced my friends 1997 GSR w/i,h,e, VTEC controller, and game the GSR a 1 car length head start and managed to stay exactly 1 car length behind the whole race (the GSR was inching at the end) I was very impressed with that Jeep (I was in the GSR filming the race)

Oh yeah the GSR ran a 15.0 on drag radials with an ok driver.

The 4.0 I6 is without a doubt Jeep's most reliable motor, why do you think it's still used as the base motor in the 2004 Grand Cherokee's after being introduced in the 1980's?

Juggalo

#17 · (Edited)
That's more HP and Tourqe than your 4 cyl MX-6
hardly...

The 4.0 was weak as water, we even put a new fuel pump in it and changed every bit of the fluids. 200 horse is a far cry from what I've experienced. Got awesome gas mileage though...

#19 ·
The Anti Rice said:
hardly...

The 4.0 was weak as water, we even put a new fuel pump in it and changed every bit of the fluids. 200 horse is a far cry from what I've experienced. Got awesome gas mileage though...
awesome gas milage? um... ok i will rave all day long about the upsides of the 4.0 I6 that they've used for a long time but gas milage is certainly not one of them. i've owned 2. they're not fuel efficient vehicles at all. thats why the liberty doesn't use that old i6. they put in a more fuel efficient/environmentally efficient motor, and sacrificed power in the process.

that motor's not week. it's extremely capable, and the last likely thing to break on that whole chrysler machine.

#20 ·
Juggalo said:

The 4.0 I6 is without a doubt Jeep's most reliable motor, why do you think it's still used as the base motor in the 2004 Grand Cherokee's after being introduced in the 1980's?

Juggalo
although introduced in teh 80's into the jeep series the motor has its roots in the 40's with the old GM dauntless engiens :)

i think the 4.0 i6 is an incredible engine.cant kill em... enough low end torque that i could idle uphill (steep inclines) all day long, and with but a few mods on my part (borla header (stock exhaust manifold tend to crack, and borla is a cheaper than stock replacement haha) borla cat back (stock muffler got ripped off while high centered on some rocks) better gearing (4.11's but then again i had 33" tires so it evens out) a snorkel (cold air baby haha) and throttle body spacer - and i would challenge anyone to a 0-30mph race ;)

then the aerodynamics (ie: less than a brick or a barn) come into play :)

offroad they rock. on road they can be made acceptable... but definitely not a redline racer :) at sustained 4500 rpm the motor felt like it wanted to kill itself

#21 ·
mxmissle9 said:
awesome gas milage? um... ok i will rave all day long about the upsides of the 4.0 I6 that they've used for a long time but gas milage is certainly not one of them. i've owned 2. they're not fuel efficient vehicles at all. thats why the liberty doesn't use that old i6. they put in a more fuel efficient/environmentally efficient motor, and sacrificed power in the process.

that motor's not week. it's extremely capable, and the last likely thing to break on that whole chrysler machine.
yah i would have to say somethign was wrong with his.. my motor never hurt for power. i could break those 33's loose in 4wd in 1st gear a little too easily (and no people youre not *really* supposed to engage 4wd on dry pavement.. theres my disclaimer) to be comfortable haha.

high end, yah there was none. low end, well look at it.. over 80% of its peak torque can be found at 1100 rpm.. just off idle.

but he got great gas mileage????!?!?!?!?!?!

i got if i was lucky 15 mpg, city OR highway didnt matter (cuz on the highway it was constantly fighting the door-like aerodynamics haha) and dropped down to 13mpg when i put the 33's on

i didnt own it to please peta thats for sure :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.