Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day around 11:45am I was on my way to work. It was cool, sunny and a great day to race! I just pulled off the on ramp to I5 south and proceeded to head into work. Now it takes me about 20mins to get to work and I start at noon. Seeing that it was 11:45am, I decided I needed to speed up a lil bit. I pulled all the way over into the left lane and was crusing at 72mph. Traffic flow was fairly smooth so I decided to bump it up to 80mph. I'm wizzin along when to my right I see a forest green 2000 VW Jetta. I didn't know if it had a VR6 in it or what, because the emblems were takin off.

So I zoom by the Jetta with it's 17" chrome rims, low pro tires, and Toyo Stickers on the side windows. I saw that a teen was driving so immediatly after passing him, he pulled up behind me.

I'm already doing 80mph so I say, okay, I got about another mile until I gotta get off, time to kick some ass. I dropped it into 4th and off I went. I looked into my rear view mirror and he tried to speed up but couldn't keep up. 100mph came and gone. I upshifted to 5th and I'm crusing at 110mph. I look in my rearview and he is about a good 100feet behind me. I slam on the brakes to pull into the far right lane to make my exit and that guy in the Jetta is left with his pitty. Don't mess with a Turbo 6.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
NIce kill but its nothing special... the TDI VW's only come with 90HP turbo and i hear that they are the fastest of the bunch... my moms corolla could probably give it hell :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Erhm... VR6-equpiied Jetta and Golfs can hit seven seconds flat on a 0-60 run. That's not exactly slow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it was a VR6, that would be a great kill. I read somewhere that the Jetta VR6 has 174hp, so I am almost positive that the TDI is not the fastest VW Jetta.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
DaMn!

I was thinking of the golf GTI VR6... forgot about the jetta... VW's are all the same to me... i've hated em ever since some sales person was dawgin my 6 when i said i was gonna trade it in for a golf... i doubt he'll ever dawg a 6 in his life!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't mind VW's, my friend has a 90 Jetta GTX and it is pretty fun to drive. I like mine better, but all the same I can't really say to much about them except they are supposed to be expensive to fix.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i took a 97 gti vr6 for a spin a few months back... that thing was DAMN impressive. the throws on the shifter were waaaay too long though... thats my only complaint.

G

·
that was a good kill. A friend of mine has a 1.8T wolfensburg(sp?) jetta which is pretty quick. It has the same turbo and tranny as S4. It is quick so i hope that it was one of those for you.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
That is a good kill. I like your modesty--I'm that way also. If I don't know for sure what it is, I assume nothing, or almost nothing.

The one thing to think, if it was a teen, it may not have been the "hot" VWs (I know nothing about VWs), but on the other hand, it may have been a teen whose parents have money and didn't mind buying their son a "fast" car.

I like it when someone takes all the emblems off their car. I may eventually do that to mine--except the GT emblem, I do like that.

G

·
last summer at the track there was a 1.8t passat and he was quick. if i remeber correctly he was low 16's at about 5,000 feet. Thats fast for a stock 4cyl. Any how even the reg jetta and golfs are very fast. I am pretty sure that they have more power than an mx6 but, with a good driver the hp diff doesn't matter at all. so i think it by far a good kill.
Nick

·
Registered
416 Posts
the fastest volkswagon on our shores, and we're not talking about audi's, is the GTI..it runs a 15.3 quarter mile...second is the jetta vr6, with a 1/4 mile time of 15.7, and tied with that is the turbo beatle witha 15.7....all the rest are low, mid and high 16's, save for the diesels and passats, which are 17's...check it out in any road and track.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i have a friend whose mommy and daddy bought her a 99passat. do they come with the light pressure turbo or what? her car is slow as hell...even she hates it. but shell be trading it in for a saleen here pretty soon. ... okay my turn to drive :D

G

·
Personaly i dont think the testers at r&t can drive all that well. They stated that the 01 ss z28 can run 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Owning a Stock 00 z28 tells me that they didn't run it accurtly. my 0-60 time is under 5 sec. They also wrote that the honda s2000(which in my opinon is a piece of crap) 0-60 time was 4.9 seconds. I have had time behind the wheel of a s2000, and i know that it is more like 5.5 sec car. They also said that the ss runs 13.79 1/4 time. Thats incorrect as well. My corrected sea level times are 13.27 at 108 mph. Far faster than what they said the ss could do. I know that the 1.8t jetta is a low 16 sec car. altitude correction times work differently(sp??) for turbo and super charged cars than normaly asperated ones. The corrected time for the jetta is most likly a mid 15 sec car. Still fast for stock and 4cyl.
Nick

G

·
jspec
I am not sure if the psi on the turbo's vary from different type of vw. The passat might have a lager turbo cause it is a larger and more of a top of the line car. I know my friends jetta is a 2001 wolfensburg (SP??) edition jetta which in the older models was the fastest so i am not sure about your friends. All i know for sure is that her jetta does move and i sets you back in the seat when the turbo hits.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts