Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to educate myself as best as I can on the whole FWD setup. Normally I'd go over to howstuffworks.com and read up, but they have nothing that covers this.

What I was wondering is does anybody know of any web pages that describe all of the concepts in detail? I think I've got the idea as far as axle shafts joints and boots but I'm still really ignorant when it comes to a lot (how DO you fit a transmission and a V6 engine right under the hood anyway, and where did the driveshaft go?).

I'd go after this the old fashioned way (mass disassembly, woohoo!), but I gotta drive my 6 to work on Monday ;)

thanks guys

·
Registered
488 Posts
The engine is mounted transversally, or sideways in the engine compartment which mean that the engine compartment needs to be wider than it is longer. The transmission is then mounted off one end and slightly down from the engine. Fromt eh tranny you have two half-shafts, instead of one driveshaft. They go in to the tranny from each side and are of different lengths. Only one fo them actually drives the car the other isn't powered, unless you have a limited slip differential, but that's a whole other story.:)
Best way to think of it is to think of a tradition rea-wheel drive setup, remove the rear axles, drive shaft and big re-facing transmision. Replace them with shorter, un-even halfshafts and a stubby tranny and turn the whole thing sideward. It's not quite that simpe but that will give you a general idea.:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts