Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is totally directed to Jorge. Under the hood of the MX-6, there's some sort of Fiber on the underneth of the hood. I assume it's there to prevent fire damage...however, it is neccessary? Mine is quite warn and i'd rather take it off seeing as how it's probly a fire hazard more than anything! If I do take it off however, what are the consequences? Will the hood become to hot? Will the paint peel?? Please let me know! Grand, Great, Thanx Alot!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah, if anyone's trying to reach a specific person on the board, just send them an e-mail. However, since other people may have questions about the subject, I'll respond what I know.

Okay, this is totally directed to Jorge. Under the hood of the MX-6, there's some sort of Fiber on the underneth of the hood. I assume it's there to prevent fire damage...however, it is neccessary? Mine is quite warn and i'd rather take it off seeing as how it's probly a fire hazard more than anything! If I do take it off however, what are the consequences? Will the hood become to hot? Will the paint peel?? Please let me know! Grand, Great, Thanx Alot!
Actually, that insulation under the hood is there to prevent the hood itself from gettin greally hot. The insulation absorbs a lot of the heat from the engine and dissipates it away. If you were to touch your hood now, yes it will get hot, but not as hot as if it would be if that insulation were removed. If the insulation is removed, then the hood would receive the heat directly causing it to get extremely hot. The heat will then eventually damage the paint on the hood and will cause the underhod temperature to get even hottern than it would had the insulation been left on. I would not recomend you remove it.

I removed it because it was trearing away on the ends and it was just hanging ohha couple of fasteners. Since I removed it, I also chose to put the mirror film on for it to look nice. The mirror film does not serve any purpose. Since I only drive to and from work and sometimes on the weekend, I decided to leave it off since the car doesn't really sit in traffic for a long period of time. I've had the car like that for 2 summers now and had no overheating problems.

[Edited by JPMX6GT on 05-01-2001 at 11:28 AM]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I think they make some stuff like you have Jorge, that is used to absorb the heat too, i saw it in JEGS or Summit. it has a mirror film on it too. anyway later

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Removing it also stops the strut brace rubbing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts