Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
JSpec 2.0 Parts and UO Pulley...Tech?

1)I'm considering getting the FSZE pistons for the I4. Bumping up compression will give me some horses right? But what are the negative effects of bumping compression up? Also how hard is it to install pistons. Or how much to have a independent mechanic do it?

2)How about the Intake camshaft? Will that push my power band effectively enough to be worth it. These parts are like what ~150 each not to expensive. I live in Cali so NOS is a nono. Will this all motor setup work?

3)I've read on ProbeTalk about how hard it is to install the pulley. Is it worth it for those of you who have it? Does it give you a better launch. How much more torque does it give you? Does anybody have some good reading about the UOP pulley set?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Cmon everybody help this fellow mx6er. Somebody, cough cough.....Mike93pgt.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: JSpec 2.0 Parts and UO Pulley...Tech?

Well, I'm not a 4-banger expert by any means, but I'll try...

M(y)x6gr8RiDe said:
1)I'm considering getting the FSZE pistons for the I4. Bumping up compression will give me some horses right? But what are the negative effects of bumping compression up? Also how hard is it to install pistons. Or how much to have a independent mechanic do it?
A general rule of thumb is that you can expect roughly 2% more power for each point increase in compression, within reason.

Negative side effects. Not many:

1) Reduces the amount of the boost you can realistically run if you add a turbo later.

2) Increases tendency for spark-knock to occur, so you'll need to run good (read "expensive") gas and think about reducing the heat range of the plugs one notch. Might even think about a reduced-temp thermostat.

Pistons are about as invasive an engine project as you're going to find and it's certainly not a trivial job. Done right, you'll need to at the very least hone the cylinder walls to break the glaze assuming there's negligible damage and wear to the walls now. If they are worn, you'll need to bore. In either case, the engine is coming out of the car for the work. If you're queasy about changing a timing belt, don't even think about doing this one yourself.

2)How about the Intake camshaft? Will that push my power band effectively enough to be worth it. These parts are like what ~150 each not to expensive. I live in Cali so NOS is a nono. Will this all motor setup work?
Cams are always a good thing for making more power, though they generally move the power band up in the RPM range and might hurt low-RPM torque production.

If you live in Cali, I suspect a cam is also a no-no unless it has a specific CARB exemption number. Do you have an idea of where you're thinking of buying the cam from? Why not also think exhaust?

3)I've read on ProbeTalk about how hard it is to install the pulley. Is it worth it for those of you who have it? Does it give you a better launch. How much more torque does it give you? Does anybody have some good reading about the UOP pulley set?
While I don't have a pulley on my V6, I can tell you it's not a night-and-day difference. All the pulley does is slow the accessories down a bit, reducing parasitic drag. You probably won't notice much overall (might sense a bit more pull over 4000 I'm guessing). Note that since you'll be turning the alternator slower, at idle with alot of electrical loads on (lights, wipers, rear-defog etc), the lights may dim noticeably.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Mike covered pretty much everything... youll want to match the pistons to the cams. if youre going with the J-specs, i would assume that this is already true. dont get the compression ahead of the cams and vice versa...

Also the pulley install is a breeze. have a helper for holding brakes, etc...

·
Registered
108 Posts
UNORTHODOX UDP

i installed the udp pulley on my 2.0 and it wasn't all too bad. the biggest pain was taking the starter off to have access to the flywheel so that we could wedge it to get the bolt off the original pulley. but after we were done we stumbled across a little rubber stopper on the bottom of the engine that gives us access to the flywheel without having to take off the starter. if u can find this on your car it will make it way easier.

and ya i think that it is worth the money that i paid. not very expensive and a decent hp gain. HTH

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yes but you dont have to pull the starter on the MTX... put it on gear and hold the brake:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts