Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jspec Engines Questions

if i bought a Jspec 1 how much does it cost for one with out a poo load of miles? Can I add a turbocharger to it easy? Will the parts I buy over here like cold air, headers etc, fit on the jspec or do I have to get jspec in that too? Will the jspec bolt right in if I take the Aspec out of mine? or do I have to mod it...... I'm VERY interested in this but I don't know alot about it please help me by answering my questions. Also, will an american transmission bolt up to a jspec engine?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: Jspec Engines Questions

RacerX51 said:
if i bought a Jspec 1 how much does it cost for one with out a poo load of miles? Can I add a turbocharger to it easy? Will the parts I buy over here like cold air, headers etc, fit on the jspec or do I have to get jspec in that too? Will the jspec bolt right in if I take the Aspec out of mine? or do I have to mod it...... I'm VERY interested in this but I don't know alot about it please help me by answering my questions. Also, will an american transmission bolt up to a jspec engine?
Very few if any of them have a poo load of miles as the nature of the Japanese car market, taxes, restrictions, etc. have the buyers/owners putting about 30K or so miles on a car. This is per the guy at www.usedengines.com I think, it has been a while since I talked to him. Yes, you can SC, but building up the internals of the Aspec and then SC'ing might be a better option. The Jspec is pretty much a drop in replacement, but I have heard you have to do some extra configuring to get the EGR valve to match up. Your basic mods will fit just like the Aspec and the tranny will work.

·
Registered
202 Posts
all bolt ons will fit the jspec engine. you can run into a few minor set backs with the install (egr system, the manifold is taller, etc.) but overall, it is a direct drop in just like putting ina new KLO3 (Aspec). You can turbocharge it, but I would never use the term "easily" with this. Turbos are very expensive and require a lot of tuning for this engine. You would be spending $3,000-$5,000 on the turbo. If you plan on turbo, there isn't much reason to buy the jspec. The jspec has higher compression. It can handle a turbo, but you could run more boost on an 03 than a ZE.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my understanding that this engine gets around 170 HP to the wheels....not bad for this things weight. I am planning on putting a bosal header and borla catback on this car at the drop. About how much can I expect at the engine and how much can I expect at the wheels? What other mods could I do that would help my HP but not force fuel and force more revs on the engines than it can handle... obviously Nitrous is out and super chargers and if a turbo is that much with out adding comparable HP, what can I do to get the most out of it? Any ignition or intakes you can suggest? I wanna do this thing right. How about an intercooler?

·
Registered
219 Posts
fs-ze & KL-ZE

if you are not running a turbo or a supercharger you dont need a intercooler.As far as the FS-ZE goes it puts out 170 at the crank not the wheels.The KL-ZE puts out 200 at the crank.Also I herd people saying that If you put in a J-Spec dont think about turbo or supercharger.Comp. ratio to high.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am talking about the KL-ZE in mine. I have heard both stories about about a supercharger, or that you need to do rebuilds and other things and that it is not worth it. I think I will stick on the safe side and not force fuel into the engine :) ! But thank you all of you guys I am now in the process of negotiations of getting a jspec. I am only 18, and I think my grandpa... not very old :) YAY! Is gonna buy it for me and drop it in. We did two transplants in my 69 stang so we have good working knowledge..... this is gonna rule.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts