Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend works at a car import place that imports front clips and sometimes whole cars. I can get a 95 mx6 jspec front clip, with transmission still attatched and all that good stuff a jspec car has, for $2000. Does anyone think it would be worth it to buy it, take out the engine and transmission, and part out the rest? I am seriously thinking about it but I want to get close to my money back. Any thoughts?

I would be selling my engine too if I bought it, 70k miles MTX.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Other than the motor and tranny what else would you be getting that you could part out? The jspec headlights? You would be looking at a loss. The light you can get in a bulk buy for less than $350, the motor and tranny is like $950 max. You could sell the hood and fenders and extra stuff like that, but it may prove to be not worth it. You would probably be better off geting the parts seperate.

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it would come JSPEC everything, from the lights to the cup holder. All of the hard to find stuff like the electronic climate control and the special door sills i think i read about. Anything and everything would come with it, in excellent shape might i add. The front clip is a car that has been rear ended and is totaled, so they cut it almost in half.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think it sounds like a good deal! You get the J-spec headlights, J-spec Foglights, You get the ZE engine, THe ZE ECU, and THe proper VAF. You dont want the tranny thoug as it is probably an ATX.

Not to mention all the other small goodies.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my friend, the same guy, was saying that the jspec trannys were stonger and could hold more hp than the aspec trannys, Is this true, does anyone know? He also said that he could pick of either ATX or MTX as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What I was trying to say was that buying it would be worth it if you actually wanted to keep all of the hard to find parts, but what he is trying to do is keep the motor and tranny for his car and part out the rest, only to come up about even, money wise. Sorry but your probably not gunna sell headlights, climate control, mirrors, fog lights, and door sills for $2000 or even $1500.

Sure preople on this site would be more than interested in those parts, even I would be. So basically $2000 for the front clip isn't a bad price, but you might not get as much money back out of the front clip as you want. Its always worth a try, some people on this site will get stupid with their money when you say that you have jdm parts for an mx6 for sale.

Good luck, let us know when your parting the clip out, if you are.

Jon

·
Registered
979 Posts
Engine ~1000
Tranny ~ 350
ECU ~2-300
Lights ~$350
plus you have a whole bunch of other parts to play with. If you get it, I want the climate control system.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much would it cost to do an engine swap? Also how long would it take? (I would probably go to a licensed mechanic) I was talking to my friend yesterday and he said that they have a guy in Japan that imports parts only, not just front clips or whole cars. I am going to go talk to him at his company sometime this week and try to figure out how much I could get a bunch of jspec parts (headlights, climate control, foglights, etc.) for. Might be getting into the Bulk Buy section here in the near future, then I could get free sh*t for getting them so much business because I know, just by looking at the current BB for Jspec headlights, that there is alot of demand for them. Anyways, I will keep mx6 members informed as much as possible. Take it easy.

·
Registered
979 Posts
How much it cost really depends on how far you are willing to go with it. If you just want to drop it in, expect 6-10 hours of labor and nothing significant for parts - conical filter, oil change, fluids, etc. If you want to do it right:

Plugs and wires
valve cover gaskets
Pheno spacers
resurfaced flywheel
new clutch
all fluids changed out

you get the point. To do something right, it's going to cost you a few bucks more, but it's going to last a lot longer. Also, with the j-spec computer, you'll be rewiring your engine bay, as the harness is slightly different. I'd suggest an american reprogram to save labor, but then your car will be down for a couple of days while you wait for a computer. Since you will already have the parts though...

If you want to keep your existing wiring in place and don't want to send out for a reprogram, you can change out the maf sensorsupplied with your front clip and replace it with the VAF that you have in your KL03. also the distributer will need to be changed over.

You'll eventually need to change the water pump in your KLZE - to save you the trouble, do it while the engine is out of the car. It will be much easier - the pulley flange is the same as a probe's. If you go to buy a pump for this car, either get the one for the probe or get one with a pulley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts