Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does this sound familar to anyone?
when the car is warming up it revs at about 1800 to 2000 until it reaches temp. at that point it will jump from 1100 to 1800 rpm almost always. there are times in which it will steady out at 1200 or 1800 rpm.
i figured it has to do with my pieced together car from different forum members. maybe the tps needs to be adjusted? i got the bored out throtle body from a pgt member that had it on his turboed probe and never touched the tps. the only reason i care to fix it soon is because it has become almost impossible for my local emissions station to run the test while the car is reving the way it is. any help would be great.
thanks for reading my post guys.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I would test the TPS, IAC, and check for vacuum leaks. Do you have a CEL on?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
thoroughly burp your coolant system, air trapped in the IAC is what is causing mine, I just havn't got around to fix it yet.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do have a cel code but yesterday my car died and is at a shop. it shut itself off when i would push on the gas.

·
Registered
533 Posts
sounds like you should check your codes...if its coming up o2 sensor codes...try cleaning your air flow meter first. i had a horrible idle and missfire, turned out to be a simple fix.

assides from that, it might be your distributors internal coil if the car died on you.

typically a bad idle after it's warmed up will be caused by emissions components though.

JACK.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
disty died and was replaced so now one problem is done. i had the tps adjusted and stll a jumping idle.

thoroughly burp your coolant system, air trapped in the IAC is what is causing mine, I just havn't got around to fix it yet.
how do you bleed the coolant lines in the iac?

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
To clear air in the coolant... remove the caps from both fill points, the one next to the radiator and the one next to the oil dipstick. The one next to the oil dipstick the one you should use to fill/top up the water. Start the car and if not already, top up the water until it flows from the open cap next to the radiator, and replace this cap. Continue to fill at the oil dipstick fill point until its filling the neck, manipulate the water hoses to try and encourage any air out of the system. Try and keep the water level high so as not to draw any air. When your happy no more large bubbles are being expelled, replace the cap.

As for your bouncing idle, if you have any codes, please state them, plus i would also look into trying a new or borrowed water temp sensor, the green one, as it has been known for these to go but not throw a code. Also look into cleaning the IAC valve or replacing the IAC.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just checked the codes and jezz... i remember having 1 or 2 codes before but now things have changed.
i went and bleed my coolent system out. it did need it but with these codes readings i'm not surprised i'm having issues.
here is my codes:
03 - camshaft position sensor (knew about this one)
10 - Intake air temperature sensor
12 - Throttle position sensor
16 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system (knew about this one)
24 - RHO2S inversion error (what the??)

since i just had my car died with a bad disty i know these are up to date. a car without power for awhile rests the codes riight? so i guess i should go hit mike hughes up for some parts...

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
03 - camshaft position sensor (knew about this one) - Should be gone now you have replace distibutor.

10 - Intake air temperature sensor
- 5 pin plug into side of VAF, first two wires closest to the front of the car are the IAT sensor wires.

12 - Throttle position sensor - TPS faulty or was not plugged in when the car was started.

16 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system (knew about this one) - Can give eractic idle.

24 - RHO2S inversion error (what the??) - This is your REAR O2 sensor flagging a fault. Could be due to the other issues, so deal with it last and see if it goes.

Think you need to reset the ECU and test again, as some of these are old before you replaced the distributor.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reset the cpu and in the first 20 mins it threw an egr code 16 and a egr vacuum code 28. should see the rest of the codes in the nest 90 miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts