Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a 1st gen manual TURBO gearbox?

I've tried calling all the usual wreckers and no one seems to stock a manual box, as well as the hubs, pedal box, shafts etc... and I sure as hell am fed up with auto boxes, seeing I keep destroying them.

Does anyone have any of the above for sale and if so, for how much?

I've emailed Dellows, Castlemaine Rod Shop (ie all major gearbox adapter places) for something like a conversion kit where I could put say for example an evo box to the fe dohc or f2t, but none of them have a clue about the F2T or FE DOHC which to me is a shame :( . Does anyone know of anyone out there who has managed in mating a NON-mazda gearbox to the F series engine?

But more importantly, anyone got a box lying around? I might be able to seek wreckers out nationally for the other parts.

I might resurrect the 626 with the fe dohc if the pricing is manageable and within my limit, but I'm not promising anything yet.

Regards,

Zako

PS: Check this site out for progress on the 808

http://users.bigpond.net.au/cjexports/808 Project/

·
Registered
793 Posts
850 is the cheapest i could find in sa it was from a stolen tx5 turbo
or derby auto salvage (8262 1544) have a few and turbo auto's
thay want no less than 1400 for a non rebuilt example, and they know thay can get it!
they have every part you need but will have to rob a bank to finance them!!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Good luck with the search

I did and found my only option was not a very legal one so I kept the auto.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
If you are going to keep the FE non turbo, then just put a GC box on it. Or any other non turbo box. like a 2lt 88-91 telstar one.

You will loose you ABS, as you will have to go back to the non turbo CV's. Then you will have to change your stub axles to non turbo ones aswell.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'd definitely turbo charge if I do it and it won't be mild either.

Strangely enough my 626 didn't come with ABS. Maybe only ever came out in the GT+ which also came out with 4WS

I'm not liking the prices for a 2nd hand box and seeing the availability is quite limited, i'd be worried about modding the fe to high outputs.

I think it's time people started investigating other gearbox options like the evo etc... and probably sell it as a conversion kit.

Regards,

Zako

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Zako said:
I think it's time people started investigating other gearbox options like the evo etc... and probably sell it as a conversion kit.
john, why do you keep reffering to the evo box? is there something that im missing? has this been done before? any info would be appreciated dude.

i thought that factor 6's LSD development was the answer to the problem? its relatively cheap, and has already been designed. the diff is what has been blowing boxes, so having an indestructable one should lower the rate of casualties.

btw - i hate money @-

*EDIT* i just realised the difference.. having a replacement (evo or whatever) box can be used AFTER blowing the stocky.. while the LSD is like an insurance option, you gotta get it before you knacker your current box.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Brad,

There has been past mention that an evo box wouldn't be too hard to adapt. You'd need an adaptor, different driveshafts etc..., the whole she bang.

I refer to the evo's coz I see that as probably one of the strongest FWD/AWD boxes out there, hence opening up the possibility to 4wd these things. You could go using the 4wd system out of the wagons, but you will be stuck with auto and man, with a track record like mine, **** that's the last thing I want.

I've tried emailing all those companies about conversion kits. I frankly think that they're just not interested in the minority out there and have just said "Sorry John, we don't know what you're talking about"

With the torsen, yeh that's an option, but I'd have to find a pretty good reason within me to keep the 626. My uncle has just offered me his little lancer to keep. I can pay him off slowly for it and yeh I guess I can go a bit on the wild side with it.

I did start doing some research with the evo boxes, and so did Ausmx6, I guess some of us just really wanted to find a more feasible option rather than accumulating gearboxes to compensate for shattered bellhousings etc...

The torsen is bulletproof, I know that for a fact. Just be careful of stripping gears and munched up driveshafts. The diff wasn't the only weak point in the gearbox, is was a massive problem, but there are other contributing factors that make it weak.

Regards,

Zako

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i don't know about the bolt pattern but external sizing is close - consider the later model mr2 turbo's - the box is quite strong stock and remember that using it in a fwd appliction won't load it anywhere near as much as the mid/rear mount location driving rear wheels

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although this is of no use to me anymore, I thought I'd pass on my research to you guys.

Have a look at the Nissan Bluebird SSS. These gearboxes are quite strong as the Bluebird came out turbo as well.

I think the model is U13. These apparently are very close to the GD boxes. Might pay to go into a jap wrecker and take a few pics and measurements and see what happens.

I'll be hanging up my shoes on FWD configuration research, but I'll still be researching the fe dohc and RWD applications. I'll have the conversion documented on my website when it's happening.

Regards,

Zako

1 - 10 of 10 Posts