Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded a 92 MX6 for a very nice 96 MX6. ( we also have a nice 93... )

This 96 had all the original paperwork/owners manual and indicates it came with a keyless entry, but this 'dealer'
couldn't produce the fob.

This seems to mean the alarm system cannot be enabled, and off course requires me to purchase a FOB from Mazda ?

Is there a way to program a TRW or GM fob to operate tha Mazda ? I can do this with some of my other cars, like my 96 Impala SS.

Thanks in advance!

Gerry Massie-
Norfolk, VA

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BOWDWN2MX6 said:
The alarm arms passively as the doors are locked.
Great to hear! Thanks for the quick feedback. Whats the Mazda or 3rd party cost for a replacement fob, and how would I program it ??

Gerry-

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't think we have "fobs" or I've never seem them. Factory keyless entry? I don't know about that either, anyone else know? I know you can aftermarket it, but never heard of anything keyless entried with just stock components.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xeon,

Well fob is what we call them in the Impala SS world,
but its the keyless entry remote control.... :D

There was a Mazda looking piece of literature in the glove box of this MX6 and it had all the instructions for operation of the remote.

So the 96 MX6 didn't have a factory option for a keyless entry system ? If thats the case I'm barkin' up the wrong tree for sure.

Educate me... please!!

Thanks!

Gerry-

·
Registered
283 Posts
The 95 was advertised with remote alarm transmitter but Mazda forgot to put the RF receiver in the car. I'm not sure about the 96 though. I got the remote if you're interested in buying it. $20 shipped.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MikE,

Yep, interested. Email me offline at [email protected] and we'll figure out the details.

Just reading through the owners manual ( duh ) and it says the security system can only be activated by way of the remote. It specifically says the door key won't arm the system. Possibly a '96 thing only ?

Thanks for posting Mike!! Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Gerry-

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BOWDWN2MX6,

We tried leaving the trunk open, closing the door, locking it etc. Nothing would turn the security light on or make the alarm go off. If there's a way to be certain on this car having the remote entry and the alarm, I'd love to know how to tell. Right now we are 'assuming' it does just based on the pretty solid evidence of the cardboard instruction sheet for the remote. Seems the previous owner kept everything in the glove box, which is a good thing for us.

Now to figure out why the cruise doesn't setup. Light comes on but it won't engage. That'll be another thread though.

Gerry-

·
Registered
446 Posts
If it has an alarm, close everything and lock the car. Stand around for a minute and listen for a single chime and watch for the orange security light to flash in the upper right hand corner of the instrument cluster. I've never actually tested my factory alarm to try to set it off - that's what the Alpine's for...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you run across the remote, I can try to dig up my instructions for programming it. I bought the factory fob (2 button) for my 95 LS after discovering it was equipped with keyless entry from the factory.

Programming is a 2 minute job.

BTW, my alarm arms both with the remote and with the locking of the doors.

Tyson
95 LS

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have stock keyless entry and it only arms by remote. Locking the doors won't do anything. Perhaps you have the stock alarm but no keyless entry?

One way to check if you have keyless is to look in the trunk right behind the seats. Flip the seats down right above and behind them is a black box with a connect plugged into it. This is the alarm box. I believe mine says keyless entry on it. If you have the non-keyless entry alarm I suppose there could be a box there too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stumper66 said:
I have stock keyless entry and it only arms by remote. Locking the doors won't do anything. Perhaps you have the stock alarm but no keyless entry?
Stumper66,

There is box behind the rear seat, and an 'extra' connector just dangling. I figured this might be the programming plug, like on my Impala.. ;)

I'll check out the box when I get home and see if there is anything more definitive in there.

As for the existing alarm, it appears to be totally inoperative. We have 2 other MX6's and they both do the little ding thing when it activates. This 96 is totally silent.

Thanks guys, keep the info coming, I think its getting close !!

Gerry-

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just checked the box under the package tray. Right between the two speakers is a small black box that says Mazda Keyless on it.

Hopefully once I get a programming procedure from mts3 and a fob from Mike I'll be able to figure this out. Might have been a little quicker right from Mazda, but not as informative. I'm hoping get a programming procedure from someone here tonight, since I have this sneaking suspicion that either the GM or the TRW fob I have might work ??

Thanks again guys!

Gerry-

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Programming alarm for remote

Hey Gerry,

Did you get your keyless entry remote programmed yet? When I purchased my '96 LS, it did not come with the keyless remote either. I determined that the car had keyless entry by calling my local Mazda dealer and giving them the VIN number, which they look up to determine what options the car has installed. I purchased a new remote 'fob' from them and one of their service guys was nice enough to program it to "talk" to the car. I was told that the programming for 1996 MX-6's with keyless entry was different than other years because the alarm does not immediately go off when a door or the trunk is opened when the system is armed. Hope you get it all sorted out if you haven't already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts