Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I forgot how much fun autocrossing is. I went to an autox at Camden, held by the Philly SCCA yesterday. I havent been to an autox in 2 years, and I was dying to take my new 626 there. Well, it was a nice fast track, but I'm a fool and only walked the course once so I went O/C my first 2 runs. I was lost. I had an instructor take me for a run in my car and he showed me the way to go and ran a 65.7. Then I was ok and by my last run I nearly matched his time. It really sucked cuz I was having major traction problems. I NEED to get race tires and REALLY BADLY need to get new struts the next time around. For some reason my car kept understeering like mad too, whereas my old mx-6 would hang the tail out in quick transitionals. Figure that one out.

Oh and I got compliments about my car too. I was staging next to a dude in a '90 Integra, and he asked me what I had done to my car (since my class was FSP). I told him intake, and I raised the boost to 12 lbs. He was like "A turbo? This thing is turbocharged?". He was amazed that it came turbo'ed from the factory, and that you cant tell at all from looking outside the car. I popped the hood and showed him. He called one of his friends over and was like "check it out this things' got a turbo! It's factory too!". His friend seemed really impressed as well, also that I have 152k miles on the stock turbo and it's in perfect shape. They were telling me that I have one helluva sleeper. We were ready to make our run, and before the other dude walked away, he said. "That's really beautiful man."

Anyway's I videoed my runs and I'll have it up on my site as soon as I can get my hands on video-capture equipment.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Cool

I know, it is funny, you don't picture the 626 to have a turbo in it. I'm sure it surprises a lot of people. What is an autocrossing?

I bet it made you feel good.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Autocross is basically a type of closed-course racing. They take a huge parking lot, and make a course out of cones. Then you drive like a bat out of hell to complete the course the quickest. It's safe, hella fun, and you learn a lot about your car and it makes you a better driver. The best thing is that it's a very social event. Everyone talks to each other and helps each other out. People show up with everything from vipers and porsches to rusted out beaters that barely run, and nobody will look down on one another.

Check out this link you you wanna know more:

http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/index.html

·
Registered
258 Posts
What brand/size tires does your 626 have? I've been looking at dirrerent size tires and I'm intrigues with BF Goodrich's 215/50R16 Comp T/A VR-4; seems as though it's be a good fit for first-genners and second-genners.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently I have Bridgestone Potenza 205/60/HR15. They're probably the best damn H-rated tire out there, but they're still just H-rated. When I get my 16" Borbet type C rims, I'm going to get Bridgestone Potenza RE71's which I've heard are fantastic. I dont know if you can fit 215's. From what I heard they rub the strut in the rear.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Aky, I wouldn't be surprised if it's your sway bar that's creating some of your understeer. If I'm not mistaken the GT's have a bigger (25.4mm) bar than the LXs (18mm)and with your installation of the urethanes, it's probably a little harder to turn. You might want to try tweeking your toe-in and front camber.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Really? That's odd; I asked a similar question at the Yahoo 1st-gen club and was told that anything smaller than 225 mm would work. I'll have to check tireselector.com and get back with some numbers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.