Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what i had before were those huge 8" illusion audio nd8's,,, yeah they ar a great pair of midbass drivers and subs but only if you seal them in a .4cuft enclosure,, and there was no way i could do such a thing sense they were in my doors,,,,,,

what i have now are a pair of rainbow profi vanadium 6.5" mids that im using for midbass... and im using the same crappy amp as before,, us acoustics 4080,,, all i have to say is that these lil 6.5" drivers made me feel good about myself,, not only is the install much better,, but these lil buggers dont skip a beat,,, sounding almost as good as my 8" drivers,,, with out the low end,,, these drivers pack a nice snap in the midbass region,,, and still with their smaller size,,, they keep up with my ultra low frequency transducers,,,image dynamics idmax 12",,,, and i still have upfront bass,,,,, my xover points as of now are lopass at 125hz @12db/oct,,, and hip[ass at 45hz @12db/oct,,,, and my sub is lopassed at 50hz @18db/oct,,,,,,, let me tell you,, with their smaller size and better looking install they were worth it,,,,,,,, for a list of the prices go here.. well worth it if you are planning on competing in sound qaulity.....

http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&manuf=58

also i have a pair of vifa pl's that i bought from www.partsexpress.com for only 18bux each,,, i will be putting these and giving a lil review later on....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hehe, can't wait till I put them in my doors. How much rooms are you giving them? Are they free-air... or are they in your AP door pods? Pics?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe heheh hehe you wont believe this,, but i have it in a semi pod set up,, but the pod is inside the door itself,,,, i used those lil metal grease catchers for the stove,, kind of concave in shape,,,, and i put it behind the speaker attched to the back of the door panel and i used raammat to deaden it,,, and i put a lil bit of polyfill inside of it,,,, they allready come with 2 holes,,, enough to use for installing the speaker wire,,, and allowing the speaker to breathe into the door... i also have a piece of that egg crate foam behind the back of the pod to prevent any standing waves...

will provide pics later..lol..lol.. but it was very easy to do... and the greae cathers were 6" in size nd only cost 99 cents at walmart...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sounds complicated, guess I need a pic to know what ur talking about. I plan on building out my doors with fiberglass for them. Kinda like making kickpanels on my doors, lol.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man what ever you do,,, make sure those rainbows,,, are IB,, in the doors,,,,,,,, i just took out the stuffing,, because i realized i was suficating them,, and boom boom,,, these things rock even without the sub on..........

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yea man IB, thats what I was gonna do... Except only because it's easy and I'm lazy

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
jaejw1 looks like we are heading in opposite direction :p
You are downsizing im upsizing

At the moment i have Macrom 59.17 as midbass. these 6,5`s work very well in infinite baffle.
But since i had a little bid frenzy at eBay i suddenly have some more choises.

The 59.17 will be replaced with 59.21 wich are a 8" with only 55mm installation depth. even these are aperiodic damped and will work well in a IB installation.

I made these for my 59.17 (now covered in Grey carpet)

A similar construction will be made for the 59.21 but this time i will countersink the speaker to get a smother look.
The plan is too use 2 layers of 16mm MDF board with a thinner layer of masonite or similar too make the front of the storage room i want too have in these. the goal are too make space for atleast 3 or 4 CD covers in each door.
i will also look into the possibillity to use vinyl combined with stock cloth from a spare set of door side too make em more stock like and too make them look less huge

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just a simple honest question,,,, with all that great midbass,, dont you think the cd's will make a buzzing noise,,, just something i had to deal with ,,,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts