Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. its duckman again :)

i just thought id share some interesting things about today. i decided to go put shell optimax today for the first time.(i tried all other PULP fuels and i didnt like them)....anyway, right after i filled up, the HLA noise almost disappeared for some reason.
also no more detonation at all. and the engine seems to run so much smoother.

also, on my way home at midnight tonight, i had a run with a very done-up nissan TRX. he was being so cocky about wanting to race)downhifting, then slowing down about 10 times). so we got to a set of lights, the lights went green, we were level for about 15m, but by the 100m, i was 4 car lengths infront. as i slowed down to give him a wave, the moron downshifted again. i caught a glimpse of his face...he was totally shocked that i VERY easily beat him. he obviousely doesnt know what a mx6 is :)

p.s. gotta love the sleepers :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol..i love beating ppl that think ur cars ****..hey wats the HLA noise??? ive got that stupid tappet noise..i think i need some lifters or something..r they cheap from wreckers?

·
Registered
291 Posts
those tapper noise i think r lifter i dont noe the real name for it
but yeah i got that nosie sometimes :(
but they around $250 for all 12 brand new,i wouldnt get second hand they mite b dodgy and probaly have the same proz

o yeah jus to add another thing nearly finish my wrx front bar
b postin new pics soon:p

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes that tappet noise are HLA's. dont bother buying new ones cause all 12 can cost u up to $1000 inclusing installation. what u should do is run an engine flush, then use thinner and either semi or fully synthetic oil. the noise goes away after an oil change but cxomes back 2000km later. i cant explain why the optimax quietened them down, bit i aint complaining. and about the TRX, i was surprised it didnt stick with me longer cause it looked completely riced to the max and he was manual and me auto even though i dont know whats under the bonnet. i had a long laugh as i passed him after 20m and gave him a wave out of the sunroof, so he decided to shift down again and pass me after the race was over. ignorant moron.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
a TRX and it's motor if we are talking Pintara 90 model FWD
It runs the 2.4L 12 valve nissan equivlent to the mazda 2.2L well in most ways it is there versio nof the F2, but I can tell you put a 626 2.2L sedan Super delux auto next to a 90 model any auto version and the Mazda will take it.
In manual it will be the better driver. I've taken on a few Pintaras Riced up and idiots at wheels, most just shocked with the Wagon. In the Mx-6 I just stick next to them, then just pulling ahead a little. That way they can do what ever and if they are fools next light I give it too them.

Like on set of lights was not going to waste fuel on a Corrolla, but when the Rex Came I just handed the bitch driver of REX a veiw of my rear end - yeah MY rear end out of sunroof - was not driving.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahah...u crack me up rod. all im saying is im surprised someone would rice up a reasonably fast car like a TRX and it cant stick with me long. my brothers subaru liberty N/A stuck with me for about 50m, he is also manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wohoo..my tappet noise has gone now...just had to drive around for a bit..but i think my timing belt needs changing..it looks really new..but its just making this noise..not a really loud one???

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i also find that the HLA noise goes away after a long drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey ducktape i want to ask u some mx6 questions on msn..ive only recently got a mx6 and u seem to know a lot..whats ur email so i can add u.thanks

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont know anywhere near as much as other guys on this forum know. cam22t, tripharn etc etc know heaps about the 1st gen. but yeahs i know enough :)

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
The HLA's can be cleaned, there is a thread on it under the first gens somewhere... Maybe search... if it is working now ???

I did have pics on my computer somewhere from the spare head I've got lying around on how to do it. If you want to know how to do it then I'll try and find them.

More than likely there is just crap stuck in them and need a little cleaning out, it isn't that hard to do.

As a guess, and only a guess... the noise may be going away after awhile since the oil has had a chance to clean out after the car has been running for awhile. Then settles back in there after you stop?? sounds plausible.

Tripharn

PS. I never really thought that TRX's where that quick. Never kept up with me :)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
My brother used to have a pintara trx manual, it would be pretty even with my car stock for stock. He ran a 15.9 when his was 100% stock, with a decent 2.1 or less 60 foot thanks to the factory lsd.

Then my car got a fair bit quicker so he sold it and bought a modded r31 with rb20det for the same money. Now his is quicker again :(, but only after 100 :)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive never driven a TRX before, but ive always been under the impression that they were sub 16sec stock. this car was riced up and at the least it had a mandrel exhaust(i saw the last bend under the car)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
mid to low 16 second yes but the best TRX was the Bluebird Series 2 and 3 TRX's high 16 second cars, when new on Leaded fuel. Which I think would be more s2 then S3's. but with small mods they moved hard. Now it's hard to find one that would do close to that now. I know a tad slower factory but it only need a few breathing mods and unlike the 2.4L EFI in the pintara it responded to them and moved well.

Something a friend noted to me for HLA noise with the premium fuel is valve seat Lubrication.
We all know old leaded cars with soft valve seats need it, but something I do know is higher octane fuel has always had better effect on all engines ( wish I could go back to the day when 100octane was sold up the road - year Iwas like 10 years old when they closed)
Of course you could belive the Hype and say it was the cleaning agents in the fuel removing some deposits of carbon?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds about right rod...after starting optimax, the sound has almost disappeared. there is still a small sound, but its much quieter.

funny how i didnt have the same effext when i used BP ultimate or the mobil 98 ron stuff.

·
Registered
304 Posts
come on, how can fuel clean or benifit your oil passages in your HLA's if it is this might be the problem you have with your fuel comsumption cause petrol is getting in the wrong places.
Does anyone remember in space jam when the got magic water and the played heaps better even though it was just water? i guess i might be a bit younger than the rest of you guys:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i cant explain it either. ive used all other PULP out there like BP ultimate, mobil etc etc....but when i started to use optimax, the HLA noise quietened down significantly.

p.s. anyone seen the return of the king yet? i saw it today...not bad, not bad at all...infact, bordering on great. except the last 10min which was stretched too much and the fact that i had to wait in the queue for 1.5 hours lol

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
MitchW
What I was saying was not HLA's but Valve seats, the other end of your valves. When they close they sit on a seat known as the valve seat.
In older cars leaded fuel or the lead lubricated this seat, it was needed as the seats in old cars were soft - known as Sfot valve seats. The japs by 1980's and probely 75 onward already had hardened valve seats, Reason unleaded was not good for pre unleaded Holdens ETC they still used soft valve seats.

now our cars have harded vavle seats but they still need some lubrication. Good fuel does this as well has oil from the head flowing down on to the valve very small =tiny amounts.

but yes why?

Well I can't really explain why optimax does it over the others but I do know they claim to have addittives to it and said it's safe for soft valve seat engines, they did in the begining but don't Now?

·
Registered
304 Posts
yer rodhog i know what your saying and i believe it to be correct, Optimax is meant to have a similiar additive to an upper cyclinder lubricant which is good for valve seat but also why it is sometimes accused of being too "wet" of a fuel.
However HLA's benifiting from premium fuel????

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Well If wet by what I think you mean as I have been told similar, it's a Wet from what I can tell because it does not seem to combust as quickly or at least evaporate, Someone said to me it's like it has oil in it.
I think wet is used more as it's not pure.
but thats just what one guys said to me. A guy I met who's and ex pat aussie living in Japan said to me, the optimax is nothing like the fuel in Japan, He said to me the fuel in Japan has a real strong smell and does go off- looses octane much quicker, if not sealed. he said any fuel over 1 month is bad if it's in a fuel tank?

I have smelt alot of fuels and the mobil and ultimate have very strong fuel smells but i must say optimax is a bit dull.

HLA noise it weird but, I don't find the engine to dull it's noises.

but I do know that optimax has been found not make as much power in some turbo charged high performance, plus I have seen many a car take alot more Timing with Ultimate and mobil's 98RON compared with Optimax . It's werid but it's a fact.
It's very noticable on Apexi POWER FC cars. A friend I know has on in his GTS-T had it tune for max power on 17psi but if he runs optimax he Pings so he drops boost to 15 and timing does not need to change. It's a pain for hoim as he has 2 shell stores near his house BP is like 30mins away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts