Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an mx6 91 non trubo and i want to know if an K&N air filter improve performance or if it is just not worth it.
thanx

·
Registered
131 Posts
On my 88 GT, the drop in helped gas mileage a little. Im sure performance went up a bit because it is less restrictive. The Weapon-r I origionally bought sucked in too much hot air sitting in the engine bay. I did feel the loss of power there. So go with a drop in unless you want to spend more for a CAI or customize it yourself!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
i was pretty happy with the k&n for my LX, it gave it a little kick, without breaking the bank. just be ready to shell out $50 for it...

·
Registered
666 Posts
CAI = Cold Air Induction.
www.probesport.com sells one for our cars for about $65, it has an aluminum adapter plate that bolts to the VAF meter, and a cone filter attaches to it. I'd say on a N/A car, a K&N would make a pretty big difference, and the CAI type would make an even bigger difference. And since the K&N is gonna run about $45 anyway, might as well shell out the extra cash for the probesport CAI, and help out someone who's trying to help out the probe/mx6 community at the same time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but that CAI system sounds only like a cone filter with an adapter to the intake and sensor housing. Wouldn't that mean that the filter is still sucking hot air in the engine compartment, defeating the purpose of a CAI???

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, the probesport intake just looks like a pod filter to me, wouldn't you have to add a heatshield and/or run some piping to duct cold air from the front of the car or replace the ducting in the fender to make a "proper" CAI?

Anyway, I fitted a Unifilter Rampod, which is a pod filter, on my '90 626 NA.
It definately makes a difference, fuel consumption went down by about 10%, it sounds alot tougher, and I can feel a small increase in power.

You'd get the same effect from a K&N, even if you just replaced the panel filter in the stock airbox. I think it's the best thing you can get for the money. And you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to have the drop in K&N filter in my GT turbo with a hole cut in the air box which worked well but I just installed a Ractive heat shield cone filter with an adapter that I machined and I'm going to take out the original plumbing in the fender and run a hose off the end of the heat shield down to the bumper so all the filter sees is cool air coming from in front of the car. Right now all I have on is the cone filter and I think it's working well. I've been seeing 9psi boost when I had previously been seeing 8 psi unless it was really cool out. Anyhow, NOPI sells the Ractive heat shield filter for about $30.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No, I took the whole air box assembly and drop in K&N filter out and replaced it with the adapter I made and the Ractive heat shielded cone filter. I've seen links to sites on this site that have the adapters to the MAF for sale so you can install a cone type filter. Just remember that you want to be sucking in cool outside air and not the hot air under the hood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right now I have a drop in K&N with a 2 and 1/8 inch shop vac hose running from the bumper all the way up into the box... I noticed a slight difference. Do you think if I got the cylinder shaped filter kit from Probesport (part number AIK-01) I could just put my shop vac hose into the middle of that filter and the car would still suck enough cold air so the engine didn't overheat?

·
Registered
666 Posts
With the probesport model, you will have to use heat shielding. I'm going one step further, and putting on a hood scoop from an '85 300ZX turbo. It will be functional.

G

·
where's the best place to cut a hole if i attach a pipe from the hole to the bumper? does if matter if its on the top or the bottom of the box? what size/location will give the best performance?

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Fender

How the m0f0 do you take the fender off. I tried for like an hour and then it was dark out. I got the screws on the top the 2 by the blinker the one on the bottome bumper the one @ the very botom I broke and the one when you open the door @ the top. WTF!!! I need a shop manual!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts