Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am going to get a CAI when I get the money, but in the meantime I want to just remove the air box and put a K&N cone filter kinda on the end of the the throttle body. Of corse I want all the stock sensors to work too though. Which kit does the best job of this? Right now I don't care if its sucking hot air, just want to get rid of the flat filter element and the stupid air box. Please give pics if you have them. Thanx

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just go buy the filter and take everything off up to the throttle body elbow. Clamp the filter on. The only thing you'll have to do is drill a small hole in the elbow. There is a sensor stuck in the side of the air box. Just drill a hole so that the sensor can stick into the elbow solidly. You don't, however, want that sensor moving or falling out. I, personally, started with a small hole, then use an Exacto knife to slowly make the hole bigger until the sensor just barely pushed through. Never had a problem. I believe, also, that Jorge has a "before" picture in his intake install page of his old set up on a v6. I have the four cyl.

check out jorge's page at http://www.jpmx6gt.com

·
Registered
236 Posts
budget cai

You might as well go with CAI instead of sucking hot air. AutoZone has all sorts of different size Mighty Flow hoses that work good for air intake. Put your cone filter on the end of the hose just above your splash guard facing towards the front of your car.. making sure not to contact the tranny or radiatior.. :) I've got pics on my webpage of my bootleg CAI setup.. it works and it sounds good too!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
G'day glynus
I just put the filter directly on the oxygen sensor and put a flexible duct over it and down to, and just beyond the splashguard, as to assist in keeping it clean...It was cheap too!
heres a pic.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was also thinking about taking out the battery and moving it to the trunk. This will give me a lot more room to work and when I do get my CAI I wont have to bend the pipe as much and I can have it run right down to the fender or maybe to the front facia. Any opinions?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like what everyone is doing with the Mighty Flow hose, but after stopping at Pep Boys today to get one, I changed my mind. I am very concerned about how flimsy the hose is. I don't really trust it. Has anyone had any problems with it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I havent had any problems with my Mighty Flow hose. It may look and feel flimsy but its plenty durable for the purpose it serves. Just make sure you run it in a safe place where its not going to contact anything hot (engine, radiatior, tranny).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts