Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im think of getting a KandN intake for my mx6 ls i was just wandering if it is easy to install myself or should i get it preffesionaly done

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
K&N don't make an intake for the LS.

You are referring only to the filter element in the stock airbox.

It is easy to install, requiring just a basic socket set, buy yourself a Haynes manual and it will show you step by step how to.

If you really wanted an intake, do a search, a few companies make CAI (cold iar intakes) for the LS or you can follow my HOw To guide in the 2nd gen section on modifying a Prelude intake. Assuming you own an MTX.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not to disagree with Parsifal because he knows way more than I do, but think K&N does make an air intake for the mx6/probe. It's the FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit). The model number is 57-2507. This is probably an excellent intake, although for the price you can put on a cold air intake. I bought mine from ebay for about $60 and it is great. It sounds really good. I kind of lucked out and it fit my car perfectly even though I have the ATX. It is an easy job - all you will do is replace the factory airbox and keep the VAF. The only problem with mine was that the cone air filter wouldn't fit down into the space behind/below the radiator, so I had to put the filter in from underneath. Here's a picture of my intake:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Oh yes, i forgot about the FIPK.

Though for the price, you can get a true CAI for an additional $10 premade on eBay nowadays. Incidentally, those intakes started to pop up about 3 weeks after I posted my How-To, I guess those guys do surf our website for product ideas.

I don't suggest the FIPK simply because you can get a CAI for a bit more money. And the FIPK is not a true CAI and would probably decrease performance.

mvaughn1 is an excellent example of what you can get from eBay.

·
Registered
245 Posts
you can always do a custom cai with one of those k&n typhoon intakes, but usually people dont do this cause they are a little expensive.. and you can get just as good of a cai from some of the people online here that make them..

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
FlySwat said:
It looks like its putting the air filter directly next to the exhuast manifold/down-pipe.

Now thats a brilliant idea :lol:.
Hey, the CAI effect counter balances the heatsoak we get on the CAI from the manifold..... :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts